Info on Big Sky for Labor Day- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Wandervans
    Reputation: smilycook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,084

    Info on Big Sky for Labor Day

    The girlfriend and I are headed to big sky for labor day weekend. We got a place right at the base of the mountain and are looking forward to the first visit. We will bring the big bikes and the xc bikes and ride the lifts at least one day.

    What are the trails to hit around the resort or nearby?

    It is nice that Big Sky has pet friendly rooms on the mountain too...

    Thanks...Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

    https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dir-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,708
    I recommend taking the xc bikes and riding the Slide Creek Trail. It's short drive south from the resort on Rt 191 to get to the trailhead. Someone at the resort can give you directions for the ride. Ask them for directions that include the singletrack bypass of the Oil Well Road climb (take the singltrack that climbs the short steep hill to the left of the outhouse). It's harder but more fun. I'd show you myself but will be out of town.

    I typically carry bear spray and make lots of noise when I'm riding near, and especially south of, Big Sky.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    921
    Here's a link to a local bike shop's website. Supposedly, there is a better shop in town, but this site describes the trails pretty good.

    http://www.grizzlyoutfitters.com/pag...ry_summer.html

    The only trail I've ridden around the Big Sky area is the Garnet Mountain trail, and I thought it was a pretty good ride. You can turn it into an even longer ride by combining it with Mica Creek loop. I think Little Wapiti Loop is one of the more popular cross country loops.

    You'll also be pretty close to some good sections of the Continental Divide trail (ride it while you can) around Targhee Pass, west of the town of West Yellowstone. Have fun; it's a beautiful area!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ski-U-Mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    509
    Hit the Beehive/Northfork Loop. The trailhead is just up the road from Big Sky Meadow Village. Fun downhill. You can download the trail map from the link above.

    Little Wapiti & Garnet Mt. are nice rides as well. Have fun.

  5. #5
    Wandervans
    Reputation: smilycook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,084
    Thanks for the info, sounds like we will hit up the shop. It looks like they have some good rates on downhill bikes as compared to big sky.

    The continental divide trail sounds like a good ride for monday on the way home, might as well ride it while I can..

    Just have to pick up some bear spray for the water bottle cage and hope for some good weather and then get the big bike back toegther by next friday.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

    https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

  6. #6
    HotHB
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    403
    Expect it to be busy. There is another trail just south on 191 called Flattop Mountain trail (I think). Its almost a 4-wheeler trail honestly, but its pretty fun, climbs a lot of elevation in ashort period of time, and the view of lone peak from the top is unreal.

    Bring some warm cloths as well, not uncommon for it to get a dusting of snow up there this time of year.

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    253
    I'm going to try to make it up to Big Sky sometime that weekend. If you see someone on an all black Ventana that's me, I'd be happy to show you around a bit (or as much as I can with only 6-7 days of riding up there).

  8. #8
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Reputation: TwistedCrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,980
    Pig Sty aka the Big Lie. That's not Montana. It's a weird morphic of any number of Colorado resorts, Squaw Valley and Park City and any number of other neon polychrom see and be seen plazas in the sun. The only thing cool about it is that it's across the street from where Dan and Don Nichols hauled a kidnapped Keri Swenson into the Spanish Peaks in the dead of winter to BREED. That adventure made a hero out of some fatass drunk Sheriff form Ennis. What was his name? Sheriff Johnny French or something like that. My bud BRZ and I found one of their abandoned campsites the next summer. A couple of years later we monkeywrenched some of the developments in Beehive Basin by moving the survey stakes 5 or 10 feet from where they were set. It'd be a shame that some Glenlivet-swilling megazillionaire finds out his own private Montana is 10 feet smaller than he thought it was. I'll bet it even looks like a little Switzerland up there now. Sh!t. I wouldn't even take my grandmother for cake to the Huntley lodge. That place makes me want to puke.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5
    have u skiied or been over to the darkside? (moonlight basin)..... good people over there, no lift lines, snow holds better (northfacin) the ridge has some pretty gnar lines, and that hike can scare the [email protected]# out of ya...... but enjoy it while u can, they too are tryin to become the next vail........ where to then??

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    156

    Ariving on Tuesday

    You will probably be gone. If not let me know and I will stop and ride on Tuesday.

  11. #11
    Wandervans
    Reputation: smilycook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Riding
    You will probably be gone. If not let me know and I will stop and ride on Tuesday.
    yup heading back monday night..
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

    https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dir-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Pig Sty aka the Big Lie. That's not Montana. It's blah blah blah, I'm far too soulful/"core"/local to see the good side of any change blah blah blah.
    Say what you want but BS kicks Bridger's a$$ anyday (yeah, I said it).


    Smiley, you'll have a blast, enjoy.

  13. #13
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Reputation: TwistedCrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,980
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    Say what you want but BS kicks Bridger's a$$ anyday (yeah, I said it).


    Smiley, you'll have a blast, enjoy.
    I'll stand by my original comment. Big Sky has no soul. It's a bunghole that Chet Huntley's NBC dollars plunked down in what was once some pretty nice countryside. There are better places to ski and to ride - especially with someone like Smilycooks sense of adventure and singletrack majesty. I s'pose he just needed to find a place where he could get a pedicure for his Gary Fisher.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

  14. #14
    Wandervans
    Reputation: smilycook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I'll stand by my original comment. Big Sky has no soul. It's a bunghole that Chet Huntley's NBC dollars plunked down in what was once some pretty nice countryside. There are better places to ski and to ride - especially with someone like Smilycooks sense of adventure and singletrack majesty. I s'pose he just needed to find a place where he could get a pedicure for his Gary Fisher.
    Looks like I will have to give a full report when I return.

    I would rather die than ride a gary fisher
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

    https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetree
    have u skiied or been over to the darkside? (moonlight basin)..... good people over there, no lift lines, snow holds better (northfacin) the ridge has some pretty gnar lines, and that hike can scare the [email protected]# out of ya...... but enjoy it while u can, they too are tryin to become the next vail........ where to then??

    Twisted Cranks, do your feet hurt or something? What a whiner and a prig. Too funny. Big Lie/Pig Sty.... old stuff, surely you can do better than that. Stay at Bridger and stand in line, Lone Mountain is too much for a loser like you!

    Yo Lone Tree, I work at the dark side and have since june of the first season. There are good people on the N. Side.

    We are NOT out to become the next Vail.

    But. We are approved to begin building trails next season. Trails for everyone who can & will ride.
    Trails that are well laid out, XC focused and multi use. Some will be tight & techie, some will be wider and more for hikers and strollers. One thing we will NOT do is operate our lifts for DH.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ski-U-Mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenske
    Twisted Cranks, do your feet hurt or something? What a whiner and a prig. Too funny. Big Lie/Pig Sty.... old stuff, surely you can do better than that. Stay at Bridger and stand in line, Lone Mountain is too much for a loser like you!

    Yo Lone Tree, I work at the dark side and have since june of the first season. There are good people on the N. Side.

    We are NOT out to become the next Vail.

    But. We are approved to begin building trails next season. Trails for everyone who can & will ride.
    Trails that are well laid out, XC focused and multi use. Some will be tight & techie, some will be wider and more for hikers and strollers. One thing we will NOT do is operate our lifts for DH.
    Word! I skied MB for the first time last March. The skiing is fantastic and the people very down to earth and hospitable.

    Good to hear about the new trails. I'm no downhiller but am always up for some nice challenging single track. I already have a couple of trips planned out there for '08; one in the Winter and one in the Summer. Can't wait.

  17. #17
    Wandervans
    Reputation: smilycook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,084
    First day we checked out the shops and then rode the trails in the porcupine drainage. We combined some loops and made for a fun afternoon of exploring. And then we went back to the village and I rode the coolridge loop at the resort, which turned out to be much more enjoyable than I thought with the tight switchbacks. Tommorrow we hit the lifts for the day and then will hit the north fork trail after the lifts close. I have to try out my supermoto now built up as a burley downhill bike.

    looks like monday we are going to do the slide creek trail or garnet mt, either looks fun on the maps we picked up.

    Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

    https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

  18. #18

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5
    fenske..............cant wait for the trails to open......the jack creek drainage is amazing!............... and that bit about mb becoming the next vail, that was perhaps a bit to harsh.............however moonlight in 15 years will not be the low key mom and pop ski resort it is now. expensive fancy hotels, golf courses and elaborate homes will drive this business model to another level. mb wants to be among the worlds finest resorts, as is evident through their marketing schema, and who can blame them. i just hope the growing pains they will feel in these next crucial years arent remedied by following the footsteps of places like deer valley or, even worse, the YC!!!

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    38
    Looks like someone has a laptop with wireless card! Chris glad you and your girl are having a great trip up there!

  20. #20
    Wandervans
    Reputation: smilycook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,084
    Rode the lifts today and the trails are great. Totally different than tamarack...

    Lots of steep rocky runs and some nice drops too and then they even had some ladders and such to ride on some of the trails. We didn't get to all of the trails but put in a lot of runs. On the first run we missed tango and did cairins way which was lame. We did not make that mistake again and hit up tango then nameless, buffalo jump, soul hole, and lobo which were all a blast. Since it was our first time we hit some trails twice after figuring out how to hit thing.

    The revised supermoto did well with the 888 up front and 2.5 tires. I get a fox coil next week so that should make for a nice ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

    https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

  21. #21
    jones'in
    Reputation: venom600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    917
    Glad you had a blast, lift assisted riding Big Sky is a hoot. Soul Hole and Lobo are my two favorites.

    --Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

  22. #22

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetree
    fenske..............cant wait for the trails to open......the jack creek drainage is amazing!............... and that bit about mb becoming the next vail, that was perhaps a bit to harsh.............however moonlight in 15 years will not be the low key mom and pop ski resort it is now. expensive fancy hotels, golf courses and elaborate homes will drive this business model to another level. mb wants to be among the worlds finest resorts, as is evident through their marketing schema, and who can blame them. i just hope the growing pains they will feel in these next crucial years arent remedied by following the footsteps of places like deer valley or, even worse, the YC!!!
    All are very real issues, the golf course will open in 2009. The rest is on the drawing board. We can only try and do the best with what we are given.

    The growing pains are also real.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,042

    Moonlight trails is good news

    I'm excited about Moonlight trail possibilities. XC is fine instead of downhill, probably appropriate. It's a good thing more trails are being developed because we may lose Porcupine and the lands beyond thanks to the enviros. Keep them new tracks as tight and techie as possible. Thanks for the news.

  24. #24
    Wandervans
    Reputation: smilycook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,084
    Last day in big sky and the girlfriend decided to hangout and shuttle me for the portal to porcupine trail. This was a killer trail, I climbed up the road from the windy pass/hidden lakes road junction and it took me a little over an hour to reach the summitt. Some amazing meadows up top and it was a bummer the battery on the camera was dead. The descent was epic and had some nasty rock sections and then fast and swoopy turns. Trail was empty which made for a nice ride...
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

    https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.