IMBA rates Montana "Category: Most Endangered"- Mtbr.com
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator

IMBA rates Montana "Category: Most Endangered"

<p>
    <b>Category: Most Endangered<BR>
    State: Montana <BR>
    Grade: C-</b>
    </p>

<p> It's not easy to "get away from it all" in the Lower 48 these days - unless you're riding in the Big Sky state. In Montana you can bike all day without seeing another person, and bask in magnificent mountain ranges, meadows and alpine lakes. Unfortunately, this kind of two-wheeled bliss will become a thing of the past if a new Forest Service proposal succeeds in banning bikes from many of the state's most beautiful roadless areas. The Forest Service seems to be operating under the misperception that bicycles are tantamount to motor vehicle traffic. Bicycles are quiet and human-powered, but if we get lumped with motorized users, mountain bikers risk losing access to more than <a href="http://www.imba.com/resources/wilderness/montana/trails_lost.html">700 miles of amazing singletrack</a>. Montana advocates are determined, but small in number. They need others to step up and help them protect the land in a way that allows bicycles. If mountain bikers don't make a stand for access in <a href="http://www.imba.com/resources/wilderness/montana/index.html">Montana</a>, some of the nation's most scenic rides could be lost. </p>
    http://www.imba.com/news/news_releas...port_card.html

Don't worry, be happy!
    I wrote my letters.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks guys,

We've been drowning over here. Last couple years IMBA has been giving us falsely high report cards. Now they "get it", and it feels good to have that recognition.

We have a busy agenda taking shape this year... more later.

Greg

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Well, now the whole country can share in Montana's fate. We just exported our aspiring regional forester, Gail Kimbell. She was just promoted Chief of the Forest Service. She told us she wanted our region to be the leader of the nation.

Now we will all need camo shorts and bikes.

In FTF We Trust
    Sh!t, I've got to spend more time on this board. Greg, keep me in the loop; this is Chad in Anaconda.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Good to here from you Chad. Speaking of staying in the loop, we need to form active groups all over the state. Get a hold of Pete at Sven's and Steve at Discovery to find out what is going on. P.M. me if you want more. And check the young thread in "save the trails".
    Greg

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Would you keep me in the loop?

I am a sick individual. All of this sounds fun to me. I'll give you all the help I can.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

I am the law
    May 2006
    This isn't very surprising to me. I see trails closing down around Missoula. I'm not sure about Bozeman but I'll bet it's the same. Thankfully I live close enough to B.C. that I ride there and don't spend much time riding in MT. Sad to say that about my own state but the Canadians are more cycling oriented.

Members who have read this thread: 0