I'm Moving To Boise!- Mtbr.com
    liver abuser

I'm Moving To Boise!

I have a large SUV and a very expensive wife. Will I be happy, there? Can I shoot wolves and ride in wilderness areas with no consequences? Can I build a McMansion in the desert and water my lawn in a drought like I do in California? Can my kids go to school without touching brown people? IS THERE A MALL? AN APPLEBEES? Can I find good help? Can I drive to the trails? Can I drive to the places I ride my road bike? Can I eat in my car while I drive to the places that I'll ride my bike? Will I be happy, there? WILL I BE HAPPY THERE? IS IT SAFE? IS IT SAFE? IS IT SAFE???????? IS THERE A STARBUCKS????!!!!

if not, is it a bargain?

mtbr member
    not only that speedy....but the houses are CHEAP!!!!! and, your commute will only be 30 minutes instead of your usual 1 - 2 hrs. come on up..it's your own private idaho.**

**disclaimer..garnetspur is a transplant from the dirty south. but, southern drawls are cooler than fast talkin' californians, so, i'm accepted to a certain extent. still, garnetspur probably has no place ragging on people for relocating to idaho, since he himself, did just that

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I'm moving to a single wide in Emmett.

Don't worry, be happy!
    erase this phrase from your vocabulary...

"back in California....."

Then, take a deep breath, slow down, and say hello to your neighbors.

just a man

moderators moderate please

i edited my post because i am an angry elf who needs therapee
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 03-02-2007 at 11:18 PM.

gringo-fied facsimiles
    hmmmmmm
    if memory serves me right, arent you(speedy) a recent transplant? seeing as I am a native, should I be ranting and pissing about you?
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

liver abuser
    Busted! But I, having had no real home for the last 20 years, don't feel like so much a transplant, as a air born pathogen that has chosen you as a host for my sickness.
    In all honesty, if you look between the lines of my post, I am not ridiculing EVERYONE that decides to pick-up stakes and move. It is just the people that buy into the Chamber of Commerce type hype that leads people to believe that all the problems that they are themselves will suddenly be gone when they pay a mover to lug their crap a 1000 miles.
    Home prices are going up because people buy cheap and sell high, schools, trails and roads are over-crowded because there are more people on them. And crime is going up because of dis-placed kids hate their boring new home in the desert, and local kids hate them for invading. I could go on, but this is a MTB forum... and not a place for lazy people to find a pot of gold.

just a man

I like riding bikes

(mixed content)I had a great little (ultra-brief) ride with flip and RRB this morning and it was such a revelation that probably 3/4 of the folks we know that ride here in Boise came from somewhere else.

(mtb content)Hulls up and down was in great shape by the way. I was as slow as a banana slug though.

(non-mtb conent)So back to Idaho immigration - I like it here in Boise and never wanted to make my new home my old home. I left that stuff down south and started afresh in what I think is still a great place to live.

(mixed content)When you start to think that this area is no longer desirable to live in, please give me a ring and we'll relocate you to somewhere remote and californian-less to ride and live, someplace super-rural where the suv's won't bother so much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    (
    (mixed content)When you start to think that this area is no longer desirable to live in, please give me a ring and we'll relocate you to somewhere remote and californian-less to ride and live, someplace super-rural where the suv's won't bother so much.
    where is this new place?

'cause, i think a lot western towns/cities are going through exactly what boise is.

my hometown is going through it too. everytime i go home the place looks different.

money talks. people relocate to try to better their life. nothin' wrong with that.

if your town is a cool place to live.....keep it on the hush.

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    where is this new place?
    Boston

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyGonzalas
    I have a large SUV and a very expensive wife. Will I be happy, there? Can I shoot wolves and ride in wilderness areas with no consequences? Can I build a McMansion in the desert and water my lawn in a drought like I do in California? Can my kids go to school without touching brown people? IS THERE A MALL? AN APPLEBEES? Can I find good help? Can I drive to the trails? Can I drive to the places I ride my road bike? Can I eat in my car while I drive to the places that I'll ride my bike? Will I be happy, there? WILL I BE HAPPY THERE? IS IT SAFE? IS IT SAFE? IS IT SAFE???????? IS THERE A STARBUCKS????!!!!

if not, is it a bargain?
    With those requirements you should move to Bend, instead.

gringo-fied facsimiles
    I had an idea of what you were up to....i was choosing to be obtuse.......its more entertaining sinse i cant ride yet.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator
    I had an idea of what you were up to....i was choosing to be obtuse.......its more entertaining sinse i cant ride yet.
    I was just being my normal dorky self. Boston was actually a last-minute fill-in. I originally was going to say "Fargo, ND."

Why can't you ride yet? The trails are shaping up! Speaking of which, would love to get a ride in with you - a spudhuckster. I could learn a lot I am sure. Let me know when works for you.

over researcher
    What about people like me? I grew up about 17 road miles SE of Yreka, CA, in Siskiyou County, on a 120 acre ranch. I camp, fish, hunt, backpack, mountain bike, hike, etc. As a kid growing up, I'd shoot rockchucks and flood irrigate pastures. I went to college in Ephraim, UT (small one-horse town). I am not your typical Californian. I'd actually say that I am not a Californian at all, but I just happen to live here. I met my wife when she was going to college in Ashland, OR. She grew up in Yorba Linda, CA. After living in Oregon for five years, I did the unthinkable and we moved to Southern California in 2002. At first, it was somewhat entertaining. But now, I'm losing my mind, and it's time to move to a place where I can grow old. Boise and the surrounding area is small enough to keep me happy, and it is large enough to keep my wife happy. I personally can not wait for my 7 & 4 year old boys and myself to to lose ourselves in the forest and wilderness areas.

I don't drink coffee, and I don't like Starbuck's. I do prefer a small coffee shop that makes good hot chocolate with actual powder, not Starbuck's syrup. I don't drink booze, but I do like to eat lunch or dinner at small brew houses, NOT at brew houses like BJ's Pizza Co. I don't like Applebees and I don't like Cheesecake Factory. I like to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner at restaurants owned by a person who owns ONE, maybe TWO restaurants. I'm sure I would fit right in with Boise's old school citizens.

Who cares that we talk about real estate? I'd rather talk about real estate, and where to live, with people who share my views and share my hobbies, than with people who don't. Wouldn't you agree SpeedyGonzalas?

ETA: Picture taken from my "backyard" where I grew up.
    Last edited by royta; 03-06-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Hi!!!
    Wow....that's awesome!! Is that ranch still with your family? Imagine the pump track/skills course you could build on that land!

I'm torn between being a country boy since I live out in rural 2C or a city boy since I've been working in downtown Boise for like 10 years or so. Plusses and minuses to both as well as in-between.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Wow....that's awesome!! Is that ranch still with your family? Imagine the pump track/skills course you could build on that land!

I'm torn between being a country boy since I live out in rural 2C or a city boy since I've been working in downtown Boise for like 10 years or so. Plusses and minuses to both as well as in-between.
    Yeah, my mom & dad still live there. My dad's a plumbing and firesprinkler contractor and has a lot of tools, inventory, vehicles, etc. It would be difficult to find a place to keep it all, plus the ranch is paid off so there's no real reason to move. Not only that, that ranch would probably only sell for $500k. He's got a 1959 Cessna 182, and will be changing some of the fences/pastures around in order to have a little strip to land the plane at. My mom just turned 60 in Feb, and all the children and their/our children came home for a surprise birthday for her. The ranch was crawling with 11 grandkids between the ages of 8 years old and 3 mos. It was awesome. I love it there, and being an electrical contractor, I feel I could make a living, but my wife can't handle that rural of an area to live.

Speaking of planes, my dad has taken a backcountry flying course in ID. He flies ito some pretty tight (narrow canyons) landing strips in the wilderness all the time. I can't wait to move to Boise and have him pick me up for a trip to an area that is 25 miles from the nearest road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    What about people like me? I went to college in Ephraim, UT (small one-horse town). I am not your typical Californian. I'd actually say that I am not a Californian at all, but I just happen to live here. Boise and the surrounding area is small enough to keep me happy, and it is large enough to keep my wife happy. I personally can not wait for my 7 & 4 year old boys and myself to to lose ourselves in the forest and wilderness areas.

I don't drink coffee, and I don't like Starbuck's. I do prefer a small coffee shop that makes good hot chocolate with actual powder, not Starbuck's syrup. I don't drink booze, but I do like to eat lunch or dinner at small brew houses, NOT at brew houses like BJ's Pizza Co. I don't like Applebees and I don't like Cheesecake Factory.
    This sounds like try outs for a beauty contest or What's my line.

Let me guess, you are a mormon that is tired of California and want to move to the land of Inbreds where you can shoot your gun.

Before you pack the car keep these things in mind:

1) The Idaho Legislature doesn't believe in licensing day-care. This helps out those people that want to bugger your kid;

2) Idaho per capita expeditures on education is some of the lowest in the nation;

3) The cops kill rate in Boise is right up there with Fresno California.

The biking was once great. It is now ok but give it a few hundred thousand more inhabitants and it will be just like where you are at!

over researcher
    Irishbuddha said: This sounds like try outs for a beauty contest or What's my line. Yeah, I was thinking along those lines too. Sort of a, "Will you accept me" speech.

Let me guess, you are a mormon that is tired of California and want to move to the land of Inbreds where you can shoot your gun. Yeah, I guess so. I am certainly disgusted with CA politics. Sure, it was great where I grew up, but it's still politically connected to Hollywood and San Francisco. That's why in 1997 when I moved out, I swore I'd never move back. A lot of positive things have come from living in Southern California, like me becoming an electrical contractor, so I can't say it was completely a waste. We have thought about Logan, UT, but my wife wouldn't be able to handle the snow. Plus, we don't mind block parties where our neighbors might actually crack open a cold one.

Before you pack the car keep these things in mind:

1) The Idaho Legislature doesn't believe in licensing day-care. This helps out those people that want to bugger your kid; No daycare for us, but I catch your drift, that is if your meaning of bugger has anything to do with pedophiles. If not, then I'm not sure what you mean.

2) Idaho per capita expeditures on education is some of the lowest in the nation; That may be true, but I'll bet a higher percentage of the dollars spent actually make it to the classroom, instead of being absorbed by the bureaucracy. I see nothing wrong with spending less, as long as the money gets well spent. In CA, it is not well spent. When we were checking out the area in Oct 2005, we saw lots of new schools, but we were looking around the Meridian/Eagle area. I doubt we can afford Eagle, and I'm not sure if I want to live in the urban jungle of Northern Meridian.

3) The cops kill rate in Boise is right up there with Fresno California. Cool. Maybe the bad guys might change occupations - tongue in cheek. Hand out a few more CCW permits, and maybe the bad guys will be a little more afraid to prey.

The biking was once great. It is now ok but give it a few hundred thousand more inhabitants and it will be just like where you are at! There is good trail advocacy here, but there are also plenty of skidiots too. I'll certainly do my part to help in maintaining trails. Where I live now, you really have to be creative and study the maps in order to find trails where you are all alone.

I'm not arguing. I truly appreciate your insight.

Members who have read this thread: 0