Idaho's Best?!?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Idaho's Best?!?

mtbr member

Idaho's Best?!?

Howdy all!

I've been looking around this forum and the info is vast. I know how frustrating it is to deal with "out of towners" basic questions - I will be doing my own research, so I'm only asking for pointers to get me looking in the right direction. I know nothing about cycling in Idaho, so suggestions on towns or "regions" to explore would be great! Even one-word answers are greatly appreciated!

We'll be traveling through ID on our way to Nelson BC in August. Below is a bit of qualifying info:

1) I love DH, but will not have my DH bike with me - this will insure I ride with my finace, who is a techy AM kind of girl. However, moderate, chair assisted DH, especially in a location where she could rent a DH bike, would be fantastic! Any ideas???

2) We live in technical rocky-ass terrain, so we like it technical. We'll have long travel trail bikes (6.5"/28-32lbs), so it would be nice to use them! Beauty and quality of setting are greatly desired, if not of primary interest - we will never complain about buff singletrack, but a little rocky / rooty spiceyness thrown in will keep us extra happy!

3) We have a place to stay in Sun Valley. Is it worth spending 3-4 days there?

Sincere thanks to anyone and everyone who takes the time to post!
    Last edited by Rollin'in'Zona; 05-29-2007 at 11:19 PM.

mtbr member
    1. Tamarack has rentals and also opens really soon.
    2. We have trails with rocks but not rocks with trail (if that makes sense). Try 20 Mile up in McCall (it has it's fair share of rocks but nothing too crazy).
    3. Yes. Ride in Stanley also if you have time...

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    1. Tamarack has rentals and also opens really soon.
    As of last summer, Tamarack rented a couple of Santa Cruz models (like one of the VP's and maybe Hecklers or Bullits), Scotts (Nitrous I think and maybe the High Octane?) and Konas (no clue which ones).
    Here is their rental info:
    http://www.tamarackidaho.com/summer_...and_rental.php

Brundage also has lift riding, but I'm not too sure what they rent.
    http://www.brundage.com/summer-activ...in-biking.aspx

Sun Valley (the ski hill, not the town) rents bikes as well. But Cold Springs and Warm Springs don't warrant a DH/FR bike. It's pretty smooth.
    http://www.sunvalley.com/SunValley/info/act.hb.aspx

mtbr member
    FlipnIdaho & BelaySlave - thanks! This is a great start!

Don't worry, be happy!
    you can also hit Silver Mt. ( Kellogg, ID, I-90) on your way to Nelson, they rent Kona DH rigs. (stinky?)

mtbr member

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by formica
    you can also hit Silver Mt. ( Kellogg, ID, I-90) on your way to Nelson, they rent Kona DH rigs. (stinky?)
    Thanks all! This is GREAT!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    If you come through eastern Idaho, (Driggs/Jackson Hole) we have gobs and gobs of the riding that you describe.
    Steep rocky climbs, steep rocky flowy descents. Bring your lungs!

There is also a growing DH scene on Teton pass, super easy to throw a thumb out and do multiple laps on some great terrain...jumps, log rides, technical stuff, killer trails.

Unfortunately, the scenery is pretty weak.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Mar 2007
    I would recommend heading through Coeur d'Alene, ID and Sandpoint, ID. For two great buttery trails I would recommend Bernard Peak at the South end of Lake Pend Oreille and then the Gold Hill Trail just south of Sandpoint. Great riding and killer views! For a little more technical try the Caribou Ridge Trail out of Beauty Bay on the east end of Lake Coeur d'Alene, exposed rocky outcroppings and nice views.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Not In Kansas Anymore
    I would recommend heading through Coeur d'Alene, ID and Sandpoint, ID. For two great buttery trails I would recommend Bernard Peak at the South end of Lake Pend Oreille and then the Gold Hill Trail just south of Sandpoint. Great riding and killer views! For a little more technical try the Caribou Ridge Trail out of Beauty Bay on the east end of Lake Coeur d'Alene, exposed rocky outcroppings and nice views.
    exposed rocky outcroppings
    LOL, understatement of the year. I fell off that trail once. Though the top section is delightful. I don't know if the Bernard Trail is clear yet.

mtbr member

Very cool. Thank you!

mtbr member
    If you're working your way through Idaho definitely come through Tamarack and McCall. From South to North these are the rides I suggest-
    Eagle's Nest outside Cascade
    Tamarack resort trails- rent a full DH rig and ride the lift served stuff, or ride the rolling lower elevation stuff
    Brundage resort- lift served trails- I prefer to climb the mountain and hit Elk Trail.
    Payette Rim ride
    20 Mile trail
    Bear Pete
    Loon Lake- rolling singletrack with a lake at the end- IMBA epic
    That should keep you busy for a little while ;-)

SingleTrackSal
    Don't forget Schweitzer Mountain in Sandpoint, a lift-served ski resort that has hosted NORBA events in the past. The pro downhill course there is a real mutha, or so I'm told...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you are used to riding technical rocky terrain, maybe riding something different would be cool? Sun Valley has amazing single track, some technical, most of it on the buffed side of the spectrum. The downhills may not warrant 6" of travel, but the speeds you attain on our long singletrack decsents will give you plenty of thrills. A lot of our great riding is accessed right from town, and with a short drive the options are endless. If you are into lift serviced DH riding, you will be dissapointed in Sun Valley. If you are open to different types of trails than you are accustomed to riding, you will probably love Sun Valley. Have fun!
    "It's just that nobody likes Cornfish." francois

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackSal
    Don't forget Schweitzer Mountain in Sandpoint, a lift-served ski resort that has hosted NORBA events in the past. The pro downhill course there is a real mutha, or so I'm told...

If one is going to go lift serve, ( pay to ride) I'd recommend Silver Mt over Schweitzer. Silver is actively developing the trails FOR mountain bikers. The good news on the street is that Schweitzer's new management will be a little more friendly to mountain bike culture.

For Idaho lift serve, Tamarack is probably the "best" in the the state, can't wait to check it out this summer.

King of the Barneys
    Hey Formica, how's the last weekend of July looking for scheduling our big riding weekend? Geedub can come up then, and I'm free.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Don't worry, be happy!
    I will be in McCall for the music fest july 19-21 or so.

Mar 2007
    Schweiter is getting their act together, the new trails guy Brandon is all for new and improved trails but the trails are a little hammered right now after a 2 years of selective logging. Also, the downhill couse is closed this year due to construction of two new lifts.

Aug 2004
    How long of a drive is it from Boise to Schweitzer?

SingleTrackSal
    Schweitzer is about an hour north of Coeur d'Alene, but the answer to your question really depends on how many motorhomes you get stuck behind (and subsequently pass) between Horseshoe Bend and McCall...

I made a new game once while driving up from Boise to ride Loon Lake; I counted 22 various behemoths I had to pass in that same stretch.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    How long of a drive is it from Boise to Schweitzer?
    Spokane to Boise is about 7 hours. I think you can do it in 6 on I-84, but 95 is much nicer for scenery. 95 S of CDA is really, really busy and slow. Spokane is about 1.5 hours from Sandpoint.

If you are looking for liftserved, I would highly suggest Silver Mt, Kellogg over Schwietzer.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Schweiter is getting their act together, the new trails guy Brandon is all for new and improved trails but the trails are a little hammered right now after a 2 years of selective logging. Also, the downhill couse is closed this year due to construction of two new lifts.
    It's about time: the resort has a reputation of not supporting mountain biking. Why else would they log the NORBA XC course one week before the race, and charge racers highest season rates for condos?

mtbr member

Plan coming together...

Thanks everyone! The forums ROCK when good folks give good advice!

Our plans have changed a bit - no Nelson this year. And no "big" DH - arm needs another surgery after a bad fall last fall.

At this point it looks like we'll be headding to McCall for several days, then to Sun Valley or a few, maybe up to Big Sky to hook up with an old climbing buddy for some whitewater kayaking, and finally to Jackson Hole where another buddy grew up. I'm leaving the climbing gear at home - bike and fly rods only!

It's a lot of are to cover in only two and a half weeks, and I fear I may get "stuck" in McCall for much of it - the area sounds great and looks a lot like the remote mountains I grew up in - in the 70's... But I'm really not attached to any particular outcome...

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    You'll get plenty of advice for biking places from others but if you're bringing the fly rod, don't forget to hit the following places:
    Silver Creek south of Hailey
    Big Wood through Ketchum (Green Drakes are over but the mayfly hatches have started in the mornings and evenings)
    South Fork of the Boise between Ketchum and Mountain Home
    High mountain alpine lakes in McCall have nice hungry cutts and some are accessible via bike.
    The Payette south of McCall has some decent spots.
    Henry's Fork close to Jackson Hole is also world class.
    Good luck...
    Here is a fuzzy pic from this weekend on the Big Wood. Nothing like wet wading for recovery...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0