Idaho Plants that make you ITCH!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Idaho Plants that make you ITCH!

So, I went for a ride on Rapid River Trail south of Riggins on the 3rd. (Glad I had my bike to entertain me while the car got repaired from the deer damage the night before!) Anyway, the trail was great...I grew up in Montana bouncing over rocks and ledges so it was nice to ride a trail with a little bit of a techy challenge (compared to Boise foothills).

There were some spots where vegetation was growing really thick and almost covered the trail completely....somewhere in this vegetation was a plant that made me itch like a mo-fo for about 3 days! My wife is in dermatology and didn't think it was poison oak, and I got it on my arms so it was to high to be poison ivy. I've never gotten into anything that caused this much of a reaction back home in Montana, so I have no clue what it could have been.

The curiosity is driving me crazy! If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear what you think I might have gotten into.
    I've not been killed, only wounded...I'll just lie here a while and bleed, then rise again to fight another day.

mtbr member
    I've hiked that trail a number of times and don't remember anything on the trail nor did I get itchy. Poison ivy seems to be the common issue around here. Oh, almost forgot, there is stinging nettles. Usually the itch only lasts a couple hours for me for that.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Well, maybe it was just me! Whatever it was, it wasn't fun.
    I've not been killed, only wounded...I'll just lie here a while and bleed, then rise again to fight another day.

Don't worry, be happy!
    nettles?

The third? Ouch, we got a reading of 102 in Riggins on the third.

mtnjam
    stinging nettle...has jagged leaves and doesn't usually get you right away but when you brush past the leaves they bite...

Members who have read this thread: 0