How's the Hiawatha?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2008

How's the Hiawatha?

Is the Hiawatha part dirt or is it all paved? Is it worth it for a Mt. biker just for the view? I'm new to the area and want to get some good views of Idaho.

Any advice for the day trip with friends and family who don't ride much?

Shannon

Don't worry, be happy!
    It is compressed chip gravel, about a 2-3% grade down hill. The views are nice but not spectacular ( I think of Glacier, Rogers Pass when I think of "spectacular"); the trestles are really cool as are the tunnels. It would be a great day trip for the kind of thing you describe. Everyone should do it once.

Be sure to have lights, I know more than a few people that have had some serious ( bone-breaking) crashes in them.

Rocks Rock

Easy ride

I was there with my wife last week. I think the grade is actually less than 2%. Plus they have a shuttle sometimes. You park at the bottom and they shuttle you to the top. We just rode down about 9 miles and back up. There is a trail pass your supposed to buy for $9. They patrol the trail constantly and pick up folks that are ill prepared. When we were back going thru the last tunnel, over a mile long, the rescue truck came up be hind us and before I could see the lights I thought there was an earth quake.
    Am I being kind?

Don't worry, be happy!
    $9 now? Ouch. And that is without the shuttle, right? It's been a few years since I did it.

Rocks Rock
    Yep $9. I don't know how much the shuttle costs.
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How long is the trail? Is it complete from St. Regis to the top of the pass? Or, could a person ride gravel from St. Regis to the top of the pass? I remember seeing snowmobiles on a frontage road south of I90 but don't know if it goes all the way through.

Members who have read this thread: 0