Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to train dog to be a good trail companion?

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  garnetspur 
#1 ·
I just got a new dog, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. She is 8 months old. I have never had a dog that I took mountain biking. How did you teach yours to be good on the trail? Also, how far of rides do you take your dog on? Thanks, Nick

#2 ·
Start with obedience training. Your dog must sit/stay/ come /heel on command regardless of other dogs/people/ wildlife that might be distracting it. That said obedience or good behavior is often easier to teach to a dog by example, otherwise seeing a well trained dog behaving properly.

#5 ·
Like Fred said, basic obedience training, rattlesnake class (do the rattlesnake class every year). Don't take him out riding until he's closer to 2 years old and is a "1 command dog". She's a bird dog so she's going to run big so a remote collar is a must (Almer and Cary recommended the Dogtra brand so that's what we have and it's awesome!). There will be additional training required when you use the collar however.
When my dog (Rhodesian Ridgeback) was between 2 and about 6, I would take her on 10 to 14 mile rides but always where there is water (or I would pack her water) and I would let her dictate the pace on the flats and downhills.

#6 ·
this is a great age to get her out and get her used to trail life, how to interact with people, dogs, bikes, everything she will encounter on the trail. Our new pup Nigel has been hiking the trails since about 5 mos. we kept him very socialized, at 16 mos we opted to start biking with him, at this age the majority of his growth plates are suposed to be just about done doing there thing. started light, like up and down hulls, and to quote Flip, let her dictate the pace. Nigel is a great trail dog, best i have ever had, and it all comes from the dedication of the owners at a young age, training and socializing. Have fun with her, and if you need a play mate...

Attachments

#7 ·
I have my dogs trained to come whistling. When I spend consistent time outside with them, they come well. I'll use a "hey, you're doing something wrong" kind of grunt like Cesar Milan to let them know to stay close as the wander off. Seems to keep them close range pretty well. All that said, I don't take them on busy trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.