How are Boise Foothills right now?- Mtbr.com
    King of the Barneys

How are Boise Foothills right now?

Anybody ride yesterday or today (12/14) or who can otherwise comment on trail conditions? With this mild weather, I'm really itching to skip the Mall and go riding.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

No Brainer

Skip the Mall? You kidding? There's so many cool things to do at the mall. Like shop.

Didn't ride yesterday but rode SSunday (up Bobs-Hulls/SW loop-down Bobs). There were only a couple of mushy places I had to tippytoe around. Saw a guy riding up 4. Wife ran Corrals to base of last hill and didn't complain about mud. I haven't heard about Shanes/MR corridor.

Grab yer bike n go CBro!
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

rode Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Anybody ride yesterday or today (12/14) or who can otherwise comment on trail conditions? With this mild weather, I'm really itching to skip the Mall and go riding.
    Took the crosser out Sunday up Cartwright road to the "back" Redtail trailhead. I got maybe 30 yards up the trail before the tires were so caked with mud that the wheels wouldn't even turn. (Which is saying something in and of itself, since I'm running 700x35 tires and the Cross Check is spec'ed to run up to 700x45's!!) Picked up the sled and hiked it back the way I came. Spent the next 20 minutes picking the pure gumbo mud off my tires so they would at least spin. By now, I'd say the drier, sandier trails (ie, NOT Redtail) - like Hulls or Bobs are probably in good shape. Not enough snow to go to Bogus and too much rain/mud to ride most anywhere in the foothills. Is it March or April yet?

That said, I'm planning on taking a SSpin on Friday AM. Too many other obligations after work these days to even think about night riding!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Say it aint so

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Didn't ride yesterday but rode SSunday (up Bobs-Hulls/SW loop-down Bobs). There were only a couple of mushy places I had to tippytoe around. Saw a guy riding up 4. Wife ran Corrals to base of last hill and didn't complain about mud. I haven't heard about Shanes/MR corridor.

Grab yer bike n go CBro!
    Wow, was Hulls Ridge (4) really that dry? That trail gets no sunlight and can be nothing but goo when it gets wet. Hopefully it will be drier by Friday...I am jonesing for a ride!!!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Wow, was Hulls Ridge (4) really that dry? That trail gets no sunlight and can be nothing but goo when it gets wet. Hopefully it will be drier by Friday...I am jonesing for a ride!!!
    I have no idea the condition of the trial. I merely witnessed somebody grinding up the section between the top of SW and the bottom of the junction w/ 5 with a couple of dogs in tow. That's a fairly sandy section that can be ridable with enough moisture in the sand.

Also, I had the exact same experience with the Red Tail goo a couple of years ago as you did. It was not pleasant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

5,6,4 good

[QUOTE=CBro]Anybody ride yesterday or today (12/14) QUOTE]

Rode up 5 and down 4 both Sat and Sun. Good shape, a mushy spot climbing 5, the rest of 5/6 is good. The clay area just below the 4/5/6 junction on trail 4 had the usual puddles. We scraped a trench in 1 of them to drain it.

Let the big heavy 2-speed bike fly on the downhill, all good. I have pictures somewhere...

Wandervans

nice and tacky just the way I like them!

I did another great night ride tonight, it was just me and the dog. Riding with friends is always cool, but when it is just me and the dog all alone up in the hills it is special in its own way. Turn out the lights and admire the moon! The dog even helps me go down the twisty stuff faster, he is right in front chugging away and I can here his tags gingle and listen for the change as he twist and turns down the trail just at the end of my light

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

best time of the year

[QUOTE=TuffLove]
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Anybody ride yesterday or today (12/14) QUOTE]

Rode up 5 and down 4 both Sat and Sun. Good shape, a mushy spot climbing 5, the rest of 5/6 is good. The clay area just below the 4/5/6 junction on trail 4 had the usual puddles. We scraped a trench in 1 of them to drain it.

Let the big heavy 2-speed bike fly on the downhill, all good. I have pictures somewhere...
    This is the best time of year to do those trails - the sand and ruts of mid-summer make for sketchy DH'ing on 4 on a XC bike. I rode 5 to 6 to 4 to Sidewinder on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Mushy at the bottom and about 1" of snow from about halfway up 5 to the top and then all the way down 4 to Sidewinder. Unbelieveable traction on the snow! Wish I hadn't sent my TALAS off to Fox for repairs so I could go ride 5 tomorrow AM!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Other part of 4

I have no idea the condition of the trial. I merely witnessed somebody grinding up the section between the top of SW and the bottom of the junction w/ 5 with a couple of dogs in tow. That's a fairly sandy section that can be ridable with enough moisture in the sand.
    Sorry Twist, I was talking about the bottom part of 4 (aka "Hulls Ridge") that connects the top of Sidewinder to the freeway. From the description of your ride ("SW loop") I assumed you'd ridden that section.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Oh I'm so clarified now in a transient kinda way

Yer right and I was shifting when I shoulda been braking. I rode up SW from freeway to junction w/ 4, then 4 into Hulls. Saw the rider & dogs from the top of SW.

Rode that loop again yesterday - it's gotten mushy in the past 5 days: starting 200 yards of SW is marginal but not yet needing to tippytoing through; the 4 ramp down to Hulls is slick but not yet a mess.

The reason for those mushy spots is vadose zone osmotic pumping due to solar insolation and resultant thermal gradients in combination with a rapid increase in hydrologic transmissivity where the trail has been excavated into the top soil.

Sheesh, I knew I'd put that soil physics class to use sooner or later.

EP - I'm looking into pulling the Singulator and putting an ENO hub on the SStump. That'll give me a cleaner line and I'll be able to more easily run different cogs (on those 3% of the times I need to). Meanwhile, I've still mashing away...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

well thanks for clearing that up

The reason for those mushy spots is vadose zone osmotic pumping due to solar insolation and resultant thermal gradients in combination with a rapid increase in hydrologic transmissivity where the trail has been excavated into the top soil.
    In other words, take soil, add water, get mud. Gotcha!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

dern I hate oversimplification

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    In other words, take soil, add water, get mud. Gotcha!
    Here's another term you can drop at your next cocktail party: Boise foothills mud is thixiotropic.

I'll simplify this one for you EP: If it gets stuck on wheels and in your drive train, it's really had to get off.