hoodoo pass idaho\montana border sat 9-25- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

hoodoo pass idaho\montana border rename 5 summits pics added

I am going over to ride on more big ride and ride this ride one more time in my life before it is illegal. The clearwater natl forest is treating proposed wilderness as wilderness. so this is probably the last summer to legally ride this ride. It has taken me 4-5 hours in the past to do this. but it is a point to point with no good way out. I have hitchhiked out from the cedars area, rode out and bought a ride out before.

I am going to sleep in the back of my truck friday night at the bottom of the pass on the idaho side. ride a 4 wheeler back upto the pass saturday morning and do the ride. the ride will eventully bring me back to my truck and drive up grab the 4 wheeler and keep trucking on home. I will be back in cda saturday night.

This is a remote ride. let me know if anyone wants to tag along. there will be hike a bike and hills that go on forever with over grown places and rocky trail. tru north idaho mountain biking. grouse will also be in season. rocks and .22 work well for them.

tim
    Last edited by tim208; 09-28-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Don't worry, be happy!
    You going down towards Goose Lake/Kelly Creek? I've done Hoodoo Pass to Little Goose and back up as a loop... have fun, great ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    hoodoo to goose lake and out goose creek to the road and than into cedars.

years ago we did hoodoo to fish on the stateline trail and out to cedars. that was a long day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm interested in a report of the ride. Pics?
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

Don't worry, be happy!
    here's some from quite a few years ago.

Red arrow indicates Hoodoo Pass, starting point:

Little Goose Lake

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ride went real good. i camped up at hoodoo pass and left the bike there. I than stashed the truck down on the north fork of the clearwater and rode the 4 wheeler back up to the pass. it was a little chilly on the 4 wheeler. My truck read 32 degrees. once up on the pass it was warm and bomber blue skies. the trail is in good shape. There are alot of water bars made of rock. The ride really reminded me of 7 summits in rossland. but this one you only do 5 summits before the big 4,500 foot vertical drop.

There was a greenie group at the trailhead but once pass them, there was noone else on the trail. I did get one blue grouse. I always seem to do this solo so i grab a grouse when i can for just in case.

It truly is a bummer that this place probably will be closed to bikes. Over the years i have done some big ones in there. I used to snowmobile the snot out of that place in the late mid to late 90's before the greenies shut it down.

the first pic is just of the bike and looking out. the 2nd pic is of pearl lake and the high bowl. there is a chute you can climb off of the bottom that takes you into the high bowl. oh the good ole days. the last pic is on the last summit looking back to hoodoo. hoodoo is the small knob below rhodes peak in the background.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hoodoo pass idaho\montana border sat 9-25-img_1590res.jpg  

hoodoo pass idaho\montana border sat 9-25-img_1594res.jpg  

hoodoo pass idaho\montana border sat 9-25-img_1599res.jpg  

Don't worry, be happy!
    You ever ride up Kelly Creek? That was a great ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    formica

yes i have. head up from fish lake to the ridge and drop into kelly creek. I don't remeber the exact trail, but i do remeber kelly creek was a very trenched out trail.

stupid question but i recognize you from your pics but can't place you. Are you married to darrel?

tim

Don't worry, be happy!
    We did an out and back on a really hot day. Yes, it's really trenched in but we had a blast anyway.

I'm married to Craig and we live in Spokane

Members who have read this thread: 0