Hiking @ Table Rock sucked tonight- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

No good Hiking @ Table Rock sucked tonight

Well first off I must apologize for being a baaaad Foothill trail user tonight....I honestly thought that a hike up Table Rock would be OK after work. Boy was I wrong!!!

From the parking lot up to about .7 miles up it was pretty good save for some soft, kinda muddy spots. After that it was a horrible mess. Of course I turned around and started going back down. Obviously I didn't know what the upper section of the trail was like, but IMNSHO even if it was fine...you are still doing some major damage by going up/down the trail to get to/from the upper portion of the trail at this particular section. By the looks of it though, ALOT of users have been on this trail regardless of the poor condition of this part. There were a number of nice, sizeable tire gouges in the trail as well as a ton of paw prints and shoe prints churning up the mud. I counted 2 hikers that still walked through it (probably off to the side doing further damage) that were ahead of me and about 7 hikers coming back and 2 mountain bikers coming back down.

I then decided to check out the Quarry trail that runs below all those expensive houses. It was pretty good, but got pretty soft as you neared the houses. Working my way back down the trail was good and then as you get further down to the bottom and going back into Quarry View park it was pretty soft and sorta muddy.

Guess I'm sticking to the Greenbelt to run and ride for a while. I'll try to hit up Rocky Canyon and 8th Street if my schedule allows me to.

Oh....and if you were one of those dozen or so chodes that was coming down with lights a lil' before 7pm (hard to tell if they were riding or running)...I was waiting in the parking lot for you with a mini baseball bat. I just wanted to thank you for helping scar up the trail. Musta missed you cuz I was waiting a good 15 mins for you guys to come down. Y'all never showed up though.

Nick

mtbr platinum member
    Yeah, I've found that the entire Tablerock area has too much clay in the soil to dry out quickly enough for early/off season riding. I hiked it last year in early-March and people were walking off of the main part of the trail and into the grass due to the long stretches of mud. Of course, this traffic eventually wore a 'secondary' trail around the muddy section and contributes to errosion.

I like to stick to the dirt roads until things really have a good chance of drying up. I've been riding Shaw Mtn, 8th st, and Pierce Park just for some type of dirt to ride on

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Well first off I must apologize for being a baaaad Foothill trail user tonight....I honestly thought that a hike up Table Rock would be OK after work. Boy was I wrong!!!

From the parking lot up to about .7 miles up it was pretty good save for some soft, kinda muddy spots. After that it was a horrible mess. Of course I turned around and started going back down. Obviously I didn't know what the upper section of the trail was like, but IMNSHO even if it was fine...you are still doing some major damage by going up/down the trail to get to/from the upper portion of the trail at this particular section. By the looks of it though, ALOT of users have been on this trail regardless of the poor condition of this part. There were a number of nice, sizeable tire gouges in the trail as well as a ton of paw prints and shoe prints churning up the mud. I counted 2 hikers that still walked through it (probably off to the side doing further damage) that were ahead of me and about 7 hikers coming back and 2 mountain bikers coming back down.

I then decided to check out the Quarry trail that runs below all those expensive houses. It was pretty good, but got pretty soft as you neared the houses. Working my way back down the trail was good and then as you get further down to the bottom and going back into Quarry View park it was pretty soft and sorta muddy.

Guess I'm sticking to the Greenbelt to run and ride for a while. I'll try to hit up Rocky Canyon and 8th Street if my schedule allows me to.

Oh....and if you were one of those dozen or so chodes that was coming down with lights a lil' before 7pm (hard to tell if they were riding or running)...I was waiting in the parking lot for you with a mini baseball bat. I just wanted to thank you for helping scar up the trail. Musta missed you cuz I was waiting a good 15 mins for you guys to come down. Y'all never showed up though.

Nick
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

King of the Barneys

Bonking ... not feelin' well Yeah, I thought all this sunshine,

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave

Nick
    would have dried things out, but my ride tonight was a disaster. I had to walk part of Kestrel, toward the top, because it was just too soupy. Then I figgerd to try Red Sands, which was really lousy. I hadn't figured on that huge north facing section toward the end being totally unrideable.

Father, forgive me... but I tried to avoid ripping up the trails. I really did. even to the point of shouldering the bike and walking through the sagebrush.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

No doubt

I'm not sure how many times I've written this on this forum, but this has to be the 3rd or 4th time - TABLEROCK IS VERY MUDDY THIS TIME OF YEAR EXCEPT FOR EARLY MORNINGS WHEN THE TEMPS ARE WELL BELOW FREEZING. Heck, even Hulls/Freeway/Sidewinder was extremely wet last night - Twisted Crank, Crash_burn and I hit that and it wasn't even close to good. If it stays as dry in February as it was in January, we MAY get some good non-freezing-temp trail conditions in about 2 - 3 weeks. Otherwise, I'm sticking to snowboarding (if we EVER get some new snow), road biking, CX'ing on dirt roads, and running. (Hey, it's not mountain biking, but It beats "debating" politics on this board with certain right-wingers! )

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Not quite right

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    (Hey, it's not mountain biking, but It beats "debating" politics on this board with certain right-wingers! )
    Ummm. Earthpig, I think you meant to say:

Hey, it's not right-wing biking, but it debates beating certain boards with a mountain politics.
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 02-04-2005 at 11:04 AM.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Go cammando!

As usual the Idaho board is putting a big smile on my face. Over the last few months, mountain bikers have starting to sound like Idaho farmers. First, it was too hot! Then it was too cold. Now it is too wet! And soon it will be too dry.

I know we are all jonesing for a good ride to deal with work stress, life and the need for endorphins. I say it is time to get in touch with our Idaho redneck side to deal with the wintertime situation. Load up the old pick-up (the one with rust all over it), fill the cab with cheap beer, and toss in the largest hand gun you own or can borrow. Drive out to the desert and take out your aggressions on a box, cans or preferable a rusted out car. If you drive around in the desert long enough you will find the junker car already riddled with holes go commando! You are never to old or young to experience the joys of being an Idaho RED NECK!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Holy cow...

Rode Tablerock this AM when it was down in the 20's. Nice n' cold, and the trails were frozen solid. That said, I have never seen so much trail damage in my life. Portions of the main trail were entirely chewed up - completely trashed. The entirety of the last 1/2 of the new "Old Pen" trail was horribly damaged. I wish I'd had my camera to show you guys. In any event, most of it looked like it was caused by hikers. I saw very few bike tracks through the worst parts. I'm planning on contacting Zimo (a former neighbor) to see if we can get the Statesman to run something in the Outdoors section reminding the idiots in this valley to stay the f*ck off the trails when they're soft and muddy.

Hi!!!
    Earthpig ---

I had emailed Zimo the other day telling him of my experience up at Table Rock and he said he'll "do something about it" or to that effect. But yeah you should contact him as well!

Nick

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    Drive out to the desert and take out your aggressions on a box, cans or preferable a rusted out car. If you drive around in the desert long enough you will find the junker car already riddled with holes go commando! You are never to old or young to experience the joys of being an Idaho RED NECK!
    Even though I'm an island boy...I grew up around white trash and white trash'ism is still a very big part of me!!!!

I went hiking out at Squaw Creek past Marsing this afternoon and as I was hiking along the road...this young trailer trash couple drove in not too far from me and got out and started shooting at the hillside...one guy was firing off his pistol and then he and his GF/cousin broke out several rifles and shot at God knows what.