Hey you R2R Rangers....- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

New question here. Hey you R2R Rangers....

So has it been a good year so far? Do you guys keep stats of trail usage? Any recurring theme with users you've encountered? Problem areas?

Will this program continue in 2007? How much of a time committment do you need to make each week? Will more Rangers be added? I'm kinda interested....

Nick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    So has it been a good year so far? Do you guys keep stats of trail usage? Any recurring theme with users you've encountered? Problem areas?

Will this program continue in 2007? How much of a time committment do you need to make each week? Will more Rangers be added? I'm kinda interested....

Nick
    We just had an end of season meeting and:
    Yes, we keep stats of trail usage and submit it for every patrol/trail report along with surveys/interviews that some rangers conduct. They are being compiled right now.
    Problem areas are the same (not necessarily in order of importance):
    1. Off leash dogs
    2. Dog poop
    3. Bad biker etiquette
    4. Singletrack trails are getting wider (see #3)
    5. Wildlife sightings/survey
    6. Illegal Activity on the trailhead and trail system (primarily illegal camping, drinking, off trail usage-like the Jeep on Hulls, etc...)
    Yes, the program will continue through 2007. I'm not sure about the other Rangers but the average seems to be 5 or more hours per week (or around 20 hours a month). For most Rangers, the frequency of patrols decreases after summer. The time commitment is flexible, however, there has been talk of a more structured approach to patroling next year to focus on trails that are widely used and abused. I'm not sure about more Rangers being added but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. PM me and I can forward you the email of the R2R Rangers Coordinator...

Barneys Unite!
    Go for it, Nick! You're big enough you can slap folks in line.
    And I can see why dog poop is a big concern, there has been a ton of it in MR lately.

TF

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    If there were a caged three-way battle to the death between the Power Rangers, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, who do you think would win?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I think a monkey with a spackle knife, some rubber rope, a tube of Ana Leze, and a funnel would rule supreme.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    I think a monkey with a spackle knife, some rubber rope, a tube of Ana Leze, and a funnel would rule supreme.
    Leave the monkey out of it. It's having a hard enough time breathing.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0