Hey New Guy!!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hey New Guy!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Hey New Guy!!!

Hey I am pretty new to this area. I was put here by the Air Force. Just curious of some of the better trails on 8th street, and where i can find more trails besides there and TR?

Aug 2004
    Welcome to Boise...prepare for the requisite hazing.....

For starters...you may either want to buy the Ridge to Rivers map available at a number of the local bike shops or print a small one out here:
    www.RidgetoRivers.org

...and then go the "Trail System Map" and you'll be able to print out a .pdf file of one.

Barneys Unite!
    There are a number of trails in the Military Reserve system up Mountain Cove Road - and you can connect to the MR trails from Crestline, which is one of the 8th Street trails. Like Belay/Nick/BoyDo MyRibsHurt says, the Ridge to Rivers map is a great place to start.

Welcome and good luck.

TF

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    You need to build a trail from Bogus down to connies before the locals will even talk to you.
    Do it TODAY!!!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Aug 2004
    I know people slag on the poor guy, but if you can pick up some of the Stephen Stuebner books...those along with the R2R map will help expand your riding horizons. #1 and #3 should be available at various shops including the two big bookstores in town....Borders and Barnes & Noble. The 2nd one is out-of-print, but I do believe I saw it at a used bookstore on 10th street between Bannock and Idaho.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Bikin...e=UTF8&s=books

The main gathering areas for the Foothills are Camel's Back and Military Reserve/Fort Boise. There are other spots like Table Rock, Corrals, and those Dry Creek/Stepford Springs trails out by the county dump. Once you get familiar with the Camel's Back/8th Street and Military Reserve system of trails...you can link 'em as well as other trails that go farther beyond the usual "Barney" stuff. All it takes is some exploration. It really is hard not to get lost out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I took your advice and bought r2r map. Sunday I went up to rock island, very cool spot. do you guys know if bogus has their chairs open for mtbikers or is it a freeride up?

King of the Barneys
    You can join my group tomorrow night for a Tour de Military Reserve starting at 545pm. If the easy ride is too easy, the follow-up ride after that will add some work to it.

Here's the text from the group spam:

Ride is at 545pm tomorrow (Tues evening), starting at the Fort Boise Tennis Courts parking lot, south side, look for my dark blue 4Runner. This would be an ideal first-timers ride, as we can do 30-45 minutes or so for first-timers on perfectly easy, scenic terrain, then head out and ride a little more, add some moderate climbing, etc., for those with a little sizzle left in their tanks. Iíd recommend a windbreaker, but unless its 50 or below, tights or pants might be too warm. Spozed to be just dandy, if not even warm, though.

If you donít know Fort Boise area, itís off Fort St, which runs east to west, on the south side of the north end. Very close to Boise Sr Center and Elks Hospital and Boise Little Theater. Fort St. to Robbins Rd, to the tennis courts. Or just Google it for directions.

Hope y'all can make it, and if not, have a great week.

Chris Brown
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Saturday me and a couple buddies are going to ride from bogus down what is a good trail to start at up at bogus? i figured we would hit hard guy fast guy, and find our way down from there. But i haven't heard any reviews on any bogus trails, any ideas?

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wpnzrule
    do you guys know if bogus has their chairs open for mtbikers or is it a freeride up?
    They experimented with the whole chairlift thing a number of years ago and haven't done it since.

As many riders say...."earn your turns".

King of the Barneys
    Saturday me and a couple buddies are going to ride from bogus down what is a good trail to start at up at bogus? i figured we would hit hard guy fast guy, and find our way down from there. But i haven't heard any reviews on any bogus trails, any ideas?
    You can do a search on Stack Rock, East Side, Sinker Creek, Sweet Connie, and it'll get you started. There's also a little 4 mile scenic loop that starts at the pic nic area above the nordic bldg, that goes along the back side and is fun, but short and easy.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Started at bogus this weekend and came dow to camel back park, but kinda had a rough time getting started. Is it easier to park up at pioneer lodge rather than the bottom of deer point?

mtbr member
    Started at bogus this weekend and came dow to camel back park, but kinda had a rough time getting started. Is it easier to park up at pioneer lodge rather than the bottom of deer point?
    There are trails that lead from the lodges up, but nothing is marked. The climb from Pioneer is definitely less than from the main lodge.

Boise Ridge Road connects to Bogus Basin Road and is a grunt of a fireroad climb, but likely the easiest to find route to the top of Deer Point. It breaks off of Bogus to the right (headed uphill) a few miles from the parking lot, and is the only dirt road that was a stop sign at it's end. You can climb up that to Deer Point.

There are many trails on the west-side of Bogus Basin Road too, but without a guide they're difficult to navigate.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    yeah we went up the road from the radio station below deer point, I was wanting to kill myself for having gone that way. We are heading up again saturday I think we will try pioneer lodge and go from there.

Members who have read this thread: 0