Help with Ketchum/Sun Valley Memorial Day Weekend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Help with Ketchum/Sun Valley Memorial Day Weekend

I'm going to Ketchum for the Memorial Day weedend. I've been there before but have never ridden there, so I have a few questions if someone could help me out. We are staying at the Meadows RV park just south of Ketchum. First, on Saturday, I plan to take my 12yo on the Harriman Trail. If we get dropped off at the Galena lodge, can we ride all the way back through Ketchum to the RV park and stay on the trail system, or do we need to be picked up at the Ranger HQ?? Second, I have the trail book, and it looks like the Adams Gulch area will be one of our rides. Would the lane's/sunnyside trail looped with the shadyside trail back to the parking area be good for a 12yo beginner? If so, which way would best be the best direction to run it? Thanks for the help...

Hi!!!
    The Harriman Trail ends right across the highway from the SNRA HQ. From there, it's over 5 miles on Highway 75 (there are bike lanes running north/south) to the start of the Wood River Trail. That trail starts just north of Adams Gulch Road. From there the WRT parallels 75 into Bellevue.

Not too sure where this RV park is, but just keep in mind that the WRT follows 75 on the east side of the highway from the south of Ketchum into Bellevue.

Trail report from the Ketchum Ranger Station:
    https://www.fs.fed.us/r4/sawtooth/re...ail_report.pdf

The best site for up-to-date trail conditions in the valley:
    https://www.bwbt.org/trailnews.htm

As of May 7th, this was the trail report for Harriman:
    https://www.bwbt.org/sawtoothvalley.htm

Definately check in with the SNRA HQ to get the latest on Harriman. According to that trail report, it was open up to Prairie Creek which is just south of Galena Lodge.

I LOVE Harriman. To whet your appetite....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the good info. The RV park is between hwy75 and the WRT just south of the hospital on the east side. So we can jump right on the WRT and head into town. I think we will drop off at Galena Lodge and pick up at the Ranger HQ. We'll probably also try Adams Gulch and Corral Creek. That should do us for the weekend. Thanks for the help.

affection/affliction
    May 2007

Re: Re: Sun Valley Memorial Weekend

I'd say BelaySlave did a good job of getting you information. The local bike shops can also be relied on to give good beta on the spot.

Adam's Gulch trails will likely be extra-busy over the weekend, I would advise riding there early if possibly. Corral Creek should have somewhat less traffic throughout the day. Both trails should be well-suited to your 12 year old's riding ability and stamina.

Bring a good picnic lunch on the Harriman; though it is a downhill ride as you propose, it still requires a fair bit of effort. You'll want to stop and enjoy the views somewhere south of the Prarie Creek road junction most likely.

Have a great trip.

Members who have read this thread: 0