Hello McFly- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hello McFly

mtbr member

Hello McFly

If the trailhead looks like this, turn around, it's not going to get any better... Oh yeah, going around the muddy spots only widen the singletrack...
    Other options are:
    1. Ride before the thaw
    2. Ride road.
    3. Ride up 8th or RC Road
    4. Greenbelt
    5. Spinning
    6. Watch reruns of the Fiesta Bowl
    7. Stay home.
    8. Ski
    9. Go shopping
    10. Eat some more donuts

These photos were taken at both ends of Bucks... The rider(s) had so many more dry options within the MR instead of Bucks or Shane's...

Ok, rant over... I'm probably preaching to the choir anyway...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi!!!
    Holy ****!!!

Is there any way R2R can just close off trails when the conditions warrant?

While I know putting up temporary "CLOSED" signs is just a band-aid solution...at least it's something right??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Holy ****!!!

While I know putting up temporary "CLOSED" signs is just a band-aid solution...at least it's something right??
    That has been considered but it would be a full time job putting up trail open/closed signage up on all the trailheads... specially considering that most trails are good to ride when frozen...

Hoops - Big and Small

Trail Love

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    If the trailhead looks like this, turn around, it's not going to get any better... Oh yeah, going around the muddy spots only widen the singletrack...
    These photos were taken at both ends of Bucks... The rider(s) had so many more dry options within the MR instead of Bucks or Shane's...
    I was coming off Three Bears a little late (read around noon) and when I hit Top O Bucks a black Mojo rider gave me a heads up that the trail was sloppy, saving me some despeckling time back at the garage.

The North facing clay soil trail seem to take the freezing and thawing pretty hard. Soon enough those same trails will be smooth as butter then turn into poofy powder trails, ahh gotta love the seasonal nature of our trails.

Thanks for the pics G! It's always a good reminder to keep me thinking before I pull the fat tires out of the quiver.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

First, the panties....

First people find out about the panties...now someone has found out I am in a choir.....

Oh the agony, and humiliation...
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Rocks Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Holy ****!!!

The IDIOTS just ride around them as in the case of the signs on Rock Islands.
    People will change and take responcibility for our trails.
    I am an Optomist and life just gets better.
    Think positive.
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member

Option #11

Option #11 would be:

Head North, there's no mud up here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WARNING: Content in the following link has not been approved for children under the age of 60:

http://rekibnikufesin.blogspot.com

just a man

He Makes a good point

I'm planning on visiting you 'Heads up there sometime this year for a little riding. You and the Cap'n will have to take us out for a little riding...

TERVOR THE GREAT
    I've been riding nearly every day in the last 2 weeks, and through a combination of riding when frozen and picking sandy trails to ride, I've not hit a single slick spot. The worst I rode was at the top of Kestrel, and it was barely soft and by no means muddy. I wasn't even leaving tire marks at all in most places.

I guess running tires measuring 2.7 didn't hurt...
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

mtbr member

Anytime

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    I'm planning on visiting you 'Heads up there sometime this year for a little riding. You and the Cap'n will have to take us out for a little riding...
    Heck yeah! Just say the word & we'll give you the grand tour!
    WARNING: Content in the following link has not been approved for children under the age of 60:

mtbr member
    May 2004

Ride the Owyhees

Gary, you excluded the option.

What's 45 minutes one way? Big deal. I kind of like driving my car a bit anyhoo, with a hot cup o' joe and some tunes gettin ready for a good ride!

Anyway, those who ride it know and for those who don't or haven't, me says the area offers some of everything all mtn: climbing, descending, technical, and overall very satisfying riding! This is especially true for those days with no mtb riding options along the Boise front.

When I lived in Cal, the closest actual mtn bike riding was the coastal foothills that was at least 35 minutes south of my little dwelling place, due to traffic. Either that or road, or play around at the Bolsa Chica wetlands. I'd go south from Hunt. Bch, along Pacific Coast Hwy, thru Newport and Corona Del Mar, to Crystal Cove, (El Morro State Park the riding area on the inland side of PCH and Crystal Cove State Park and the beach and ocean on the other side.). Anyway, useless info aside, I'm not spoiled, thinking that a little drive is a hassle or not worth it; or, I AM spoiled now, since it's comparatively pretty easy to get around here in Idaho, unless you're coming into town in the morning or going back out in the evening commuting! But we're talking about driving out for recreation not commuting and the times usually differ.

My own opinion is that we need MORE mtn bike riders representin out there; more riders = more and increased interests in protecting our riding area out there and we should organize some trail work and ride after days out there and publish our efforst in no uncertain terms to various parties (BLM, SWIMBA, this board, associations of Horseback riders, motorized riders, (BR Coalition?etc..)

I know Chris and SWIMBA worked with BLM people a while back, and believe that MarkV, Mike, probably Harley, Meeker and Beck have done quite a bit of work on the area and behalf of us. Probably a lot of others I just am not aware of. So my most current understanding is that we are pretty secure in NOT getting it taken away; however, is the talk about China Ditch being closed down to riders, yet kept open to hikers and HB riders an apparent or perceived threat now? The logic of why this area should be closed, as I understand it is already proven a bunch of Hokey, (we don't do more erosion than horses or hikers and of course not motorized vehicles and I think there have been studies published on this topic by IMBA).

Add, the irony that others have mentioned, that it is Mountain Bikers that have maintained the China Wall area.
    It was pointed out to me last ride and I took notice of, the nice clean rock work done in what was an eroding section of the trail along the wall. Well, I was told a mountain biker did this work. Why should "our" work and interests subsidize the interests of whoever wants it closed to us? (yet kept open to them?).

True it is rather sparse out there, but that Reynolds Canyon sure is perty, especially on a nice day and with the sun shining through.

Go Ride Wilson Creek!
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 01-03-2007 at 09:57 AM.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Clarification...

BLM was ready to move on making Wilson Creek nonmotorized this Fall........horse folks complained that they were left out of the "comment period" so the decision to move on the nonmotorized designation was postponed. Unfortunately the signposts for most of the trails were installed.....have witnessed motorized traffic on trails this Fall that I had not seen ridden by motorized folks in my 15 years of riding that area.....China Wall included.

BLM wanted to leave the China Wall open to bikes and hikers.....closed to motorized and horses. The horse folks were pissed. I blame them and the BLM for jumping the gun with trail signs for all the motorized damage to the Reynolds Creek trails.....the outside trail (north side of Reynolds Creek) was straightened out (corners cut) by motorcycles going too fast on a trail with great flow at mtn bike speed......

I've done some trail work in the area, but Piltdown (Jack), Fred, Mike, Doug, Chris, Paul and Meeker deserve most of the credit for the loops we ride at Wilson Creek today.
    Last edited by Markv; 01-03-2007 at 11:13 AM.

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekibnikufesin
    Option #11 would be:

Nice Switchblade, or is it a Snowblade?

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member

A Little From Column A, A Little From Column B

LOL!

Thanks! It's been a pretty reliable snowblade lately, but definately NOT an iceblade! (Admittedly, by my request - not the bike)

Lacticacid head
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekibnikufesin
    Option #11 would be:

Finally another "Head" pokes his way in! bout time!
    And you and Rocketman look toasty warm amid all that fluff.... nice climb!
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

mtbr member

Yup!

Howdy Cap'n!

Yup. Been laying low lately, but decided to poke my head out of my shell for a bit.

Rocketman got a new camera for Christmas, and we made use of it on the climb up. It was a very weird feeling being in front of the camera!

Definately warm on the climb up (25 miles & 1800')! Very interesting on snow climbs- Rocketman has a theory that you do everything possible to keep from sweating on the climb up, change clothes at the top, and hopefully that keeps the icicles to a minimum on the ride down.

Seems to work so far!

Lacticacid head
    [QUOTE=Rekibnikufesin]Howdy Cap'n!

Yup. Been laying low lately, but decided to poke my head out of my shell for a bit.

QUOTE]

Well It is nice to not be the only north of Lewiston contributor ! I have a half day off tommorow, taking the studded Mary out for a round of GOF, not sure how it will be with the snow in the forecast, but need to visit the park anyway for the "Cyclo De Mayo" contracts.
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

Members who have read this thread: 0