Helena Camping?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helena Camping?

Don't worry, be happy!

Helena Camping?

We are heading over this weekend for the shuttle fest with our (self contained) van I've been recommended to fairground camping but I am wondering if there's some primitive options close to town?

thanks!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    close to town is tough in Helena if looking for primitive. But i've had good luck up Grizzly Gulch. outside of town still, but again not a lot of options that i've found.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Is that area open with the road construction?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    it was last weekend, but I dont live up there. Being that its construction season, may be worth a call to The Garage

beater
    Shuttlefest should be good - and make sure to attend Ales For Trails on Friday. This year's event supports new directional trails to be built on Mount Ascension!

West Main Street (the mouth of Last Chance Gulch) is under construction until September or October. It's currently one-way with a pilot car. Cyclists have to be in the pilot car, which has a capacity of 3. You can get to the gulches though; people live up there. If you want to skip the wait, you can go up Davis and Dry Gulch and down Arrastra Gulch to Orofino (by Unionville).

The shuttle will be going this route. It adds about 10 minutes to get to the Mt Helena Ridge. Just be aware that if you drop down Show-Me-The-Horse or Emmett's you'll need to either climb back out or wait for the pilot car.

The Helena Ranger District does have a no-camping order in the sections that adjoin Helena Open Lands, so look for dispersed locations beyond that.

Helena Camping?-hnf_campingrestrictions.jpgAttachment 1198231
    Last edited by evasive; 05-16-2018 at 07:04 AM. Reason: rotate photo

beater
    It's worth noting that a MTB-oriented campground will be opening on Helena's west side later this year. They had planned to be open by now, but it hasn't worked out. The name is MTB City. They'll have tent/trailer spaces and AirBnB cabins.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Did you make it to Helena? Good times, trails and camping?

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    It's worth noting that a MTB-oriented campground will be opening on Helena's west side later this year. They had planned to be open by now, but it hasn't worked out. The name is MTB City. They'll have tent/trailer spaces and AirBnB cabins.
    That sounds awesome.
    We stayed at the fairgrounds. It was ok, close in but lacking in atmophere with RR noise. I'm sure if we'd hunted around way out of town we would have found something more to our liking.

We did ride all three days. Thursday and Friday we got pretty wet---trusted that the weather was going to stop according to the report, LOL. Friday we shuttled up to the Arrowroot trailhead just after the rain stopped; Saturday we did the ridge to the Horse trail in the pouring rain. Thank goodness the sun came out Sunday!! We shuttled back to the arrowroot trailhead and this time connected to Rodney Ridge and the Wakina Sky area. Fun stuff! As a long time mtb advocate in my community, I am super impressed with how Helena appears to have embraced mountain biking.

The pilot car driver was none too thrilled about putting 4 mountain bikers literally dripping mud into his truck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    oh springtime in the Rockies! Helena is awesome, they were ahead of the curve for sure in Montana when it came to realizing the potential mt biking could have on a community. Bozeman is making strides, big strides, but Helena is awesome and always worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fleboz View Post
    oh springtime in the Rockies! Helena is awesome, they were ahead of the curve for sure in Montana when it came to realizing the potential mt biking could have on a community. Bozeman is making strides, big strides, but Helena is awesome and always worth the drive.
    I agree. We made our first trip of the year on Sunday and rode the Eddie McLure trail for the first time then checked out the new Snow Hop brewery.

The one thing Bozeman does offer that Helena doesn't is the aforementioned camping within riding distance of trails. I'm very excited to hear that Helena is working on that too.

beater
    Relevant to this question, if you're visiting Helena for the weekend of August 17th-18th there is camping available with direct shuttle service, bike washes, and showers. It's the first Bikes, Beers, and Blues Festival put on by Lewis & Clark Brewing. The camping area will be right next to the bike park, and an easy ride into downtown.

https://bikesbrewsandblues.com/camping/