Helena camping- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helena camping

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Helena camping

Hey folks. Headed to helena this weekend on a whim. I have heard the mtb action is pretty good. Also plan on getting a little rock climbing in.

It looks like there is a lot of camping at the north end of canyon ferry reservoir and black sandy state park. I have a little pop up trailer. Is there preferred campground over there?

Also, i am a xc rider who can handle small medium jumps gaps etc on a giant trance. What are the must do rides?

Thanks
    Joe

I think this is a trail..
    Regarding camping on north end of Canyon Ferry we have stayed at Chinamans Gulch and enjoyed it. It is rustic and most of the sites are small but your trailer will fit fine. Just before it is Court Sheriff camp ground. Probably a "nicer" campground, think it has running water and power and bigger RV friendly sites along the water. Much less private though with few trees and generally tends to fill up. We just prefer the smaller rustic forest service style campgrounds with lots of trees and privacy.

Not a local so won't chime in on the riding, other than to say Helena Ridge was good fun, especially considering the trail head is just up the road from Blackfoot River brewing.
    Yard Sale! Corner of Courage and Incompetence

mtbr member
    If you are into dispersed boondock camping in your pop up, head up Avalanche Gulch.
    I think this link will show you the road. It is on the north side of Canyon Ferry like you've been describing, but you drive away from the reservoir. https://goo.gl/maps/bgHWHqwdJPo

There is popular rock climbing right at the mouth of that canyon, great dispersed campspots just past the mouth that a pop up setup will have no trouble getting to (I get my 27 footer in there), and there is a great MTB bike loop over the top of it and back downhill (Thompson Creek DH).

Here's the Thompson Creek DH segment. https://www.strava.com/segments/4653572

Here's my ride that shows the way to get to it from the top. Obviously I didn't start that ride from the campspot, but you should be able to see how to get to the right road by just following Avalanche Gulch Rd to the top.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/65510156