Heading to Kalispell area, how's the riding at Big Mtn?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Heading to Kalispell area, how's the riding at Big Mtn?

I'm making my yearly trip to ashley lake outside out of Kalispell and I was wondering if I should bring my DH bike with me all the way from Oregon for a few days of riding at Big Mtn. What are the trails like there? I'm up for other suggestions of riding in the area as well. Thanks for any info.
    Voice your support for Timberline Bike Park
    http://www.timberlinelodge.com/mountainbike/

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Big Mountain has one real DH trail and it is a good time. I hit it for a half day last year and enjoyed it but beings how there is just that one trail, longer would not be really recommended. Spencer Mtn outside of Whitefish on hwy 93 is great but is not shuttleable. Climb is very mellow even on a DH bike and worth a couple laps. I just got back from a trip up there and would recommend the less than 2 hour drive up to Fernie, B.C. if you have a passport. There are local shuttles and rides that are fantastic on DH bike and also the resort will do lift access if you are flying solo or don't care to make the effort of tying in with a local. I really enjoy the resort riding and think it would be a better use of your time than Big Mtn. Spencer is great though, go explore that place, Glacier Cyclery in Whitefish can give you directions.

mtbr member
    Awesome thanks for the help. Are the trails up at Fernie comparable to whistler trails in style?
    Voice your support for Timberline Bike Park
    http://www.timberlinelodge.com/mountainbike/

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I guess you could say they are comparable, just on a much smaller and not as cool scale cause really, everything is comparable. Its just that few mtns stack up to Whistler, I would say Silver Star is the only one. I think Fernie is very fun and worth it, it is super cheap and worth two days on the mtn for sure. There are tons of vids on youtube and pinkbike of the trails if you want to do some viewing.

Go make a difference

Reviving...

Instead of starting a new thread with a similar title, I'm reviving this one.

I was recently up at WMR for some late season skiing (which was amazing) and have the chance to go back this summer. I'd like to find out what the XC riding is like in that part of the state? Is there a trail map of WMR? Does Glacier allow MTB (I don't think they do based on the info I have but still asking)? What else is nearby that's worth making the trek? Are there any MTB guides out there? Also, what whitewater rafting outfits would you recommend? I met the guys at GOC briefly but who else is good?

Thanks for your help!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Check out "Montana Singletrack" by Beartooth Publishing. Good guidebook for general trails in Montana. My wife and I stayed in some cabins right outside of Whitefish couple years ago and there were some pretty fun trails within riding distance from the cabins. No "epics" but still fun. I haven't ridden any of the "to do" trails in that area. However if you find your way anywhere near Big Sky/Bozeman I could definetly get you pointed in the right direction or even show you. Big Sky has better chairlift access stuff than WMR, or so I've been told (not much of a chairlift rider myself). We've got alot of snow this season so it'll be awhile before the high country dry's out. You didn't say what time of summer you'd be in the area. I'd come later rather than early to play it safe. 2ft of snow in June is not that uncommon
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

Go make a difference
    Thanks! It would likely be later in the summer as I'm familiar with how long it can take to thaw that much snow. I'm not worried about lifts as I'm looking for the ride up -- that's what makes the summit that much more rewarding! I have a connection with a 3BR condo at WMR so would likely 'base camp' from there -- that's why I'm looking at a multi-sport trip (MTB, rafting, hiking or some climbing).

Thanks again! Anymore feedback?
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    just saw your thread, there is a fair amount of xc around, start with links from the Glacier cyclery and Great northern cycles websites. Don't know a lot about local whitewater, used to live in northern wv so the stuff here never caught my interest, do have a friend who is an outfitter.

Feel free to pm with any questions, i need to head off to bed as i have a 6 am flight tomorrow

Members who have read this thread: 0