Hanging Valley trail near Helena pics!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Hanging Valley trail near Helena pics!

We did a new to me ride this weekend called Hanging valley, it's near Helena. This turned out to be a beautiful ride. It's 12 miles round trip with apx 3200 ft vert. The first couple miles ascend through some lush green forest, then you climb a few more miles on shale grainite and limestone, then, at the five mile point you descend 1000 ft to a 150 ft tall limestone slot canyon, then you come up to a gate with a truely spectacular vista. The pics don't do any justice as usual, but here's a few anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

jones'in
    Wow....very cool. Good pictures. Is this ride documented any where (i.e. maps, directions, etc)?

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I haven't found much info about it, but It's east of Hauser Lake near York. Here's a pic of the "gate", it's spooky. The gate sits in a weathered notch in a HUGE cliff. It's about 250 ft+ straight down on the other side of the gate. The second pic is standing on the gate looking straight down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SamIAm
    whoa that is crazy. so that is out over by york then? well that looks like a fun ride. i might have to get some peeps together sometime this sumer and do that.

do you have better directions, or could i just google it? i dont feel like finding out right now, srry.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

beater
    Pretty sure it's in one of the Hiking Montana Falcon guides, at least. Never been on it, but I'm familiar with the general location.

mtbr member
    Nice looking area for riding!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Members who have read this thread: 0