Had a great time riding up around Stanley!- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

Good job! Had a great time riding up around Stanley!

I just got home from an awesome weekend of riding around Stanely.

FYI....beware of the looooong delays on 21 before Stanley. They are doing some major road work and you can expect quite a delay in getting through. It just made for a looong drive back home to the Caldwell Knotty Pines Mobile Home "Estates".

On Saturday I rode Little Basin. Man that's a fun trail!!! And yes I did have to walk a good portion of that last push to the top. The downhill was a blast and once again...I did have to walk portions of it. When in doubt...dismount. Besides, I was by myself and didn't want to risk getting injured out there with no one to help a brotha out!

Today I rode Fisher Williams. I was suprised at how mellow it started out (btw...that damn Yeti was a tank riding down 21...ugh) but DAMN that last portion of that climbed kicked me ass. And yes...I did end up pushing the bike up that mofo. The downhill was FAST!!! Wow was that too much fun!! BUT....the couple of climbs that were sandwiched between the downhills....those I didn't like! Dang...I could see why this ride is considered a classic!

Man...riding by yourself out in the middle of nowhere in comnparison to riding by yourself in Military Reserve is a totally different beast. I've done it before and will do it again, but damn you have to be careful out there.

Overall an awesome weekend! Stanley seemed rather quiet in comparison to a couple of weeks ago when I along with k2cruiser72 and jovifan and others were up there. The weather was PERFECT!!! Highs in the 80s and lows in the upper 20s/low 30s. Clear and calm. Gotta love it!!!

Oh...and pix will be posted within the next couple of days.

Nick

King of the Barneys
    Alright, Nick!

Way to get after it! Looking forward to your pictures.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Aug 2004
    Setting up a shot of oneself riding with a QUICK self timer on the camera isn't that easy. These are from the Little Basin ride.

Me in the meadow...

What my feet saw alot of....

Just a nice cruise along the creek....

Aug 2004
    These are from the Fisher-Williams ride....

Yeah I did the hike-a-bike thing up to this point...

That was a whole lotta burnin' going on last year...

Dang near close to the end of a fun (but tough for me) ride...

jalepenio jimenez

Right or wrong,...

weak or strong, I'll be what I am, a solitary man...

Ahhh, Stanley and the Sawtooths, the 'heart of Idaho' beats on.

Stanley posts pretty much make my day. You may have been out there all by your lonesome, but you have to know that many of us, who can't physically be, were out there with you on some astral plane.

Thanks for the vicarious experience. Two of my favorite trails, your weekend repertoire.

Just a suggestion: if it's later in the day and most of the beautiful people from SV have gone home, you can do Fisher backwards and completely avoid the 2 miles of pavement and 6 miles of gravel. Park at Williams and go in 8 miles to top of gravel road/single track interface, sign in, then turn around and bomb back out the way you came.

Either way you do it, the 'sign in' is at the half way point, so why not ride 16/17 miles of single track instead of all those road miles?

A couple weeks, everything gets squared away, I'll be up there in your stead whooping it up.

jp

just a man
    Those were great Nick, thanks for sharing. This is still an area I have yet to ride...I may have to wait until next year to make it happen out there though..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Those were great Nick, thanks for sharing. This is still an area I have yet to ride...I may have to wait until next year to make it happen out there though..
    Why wait? RRB, and some East Coast friends are heading up for a weekend at the end of September, start of October... Come and join us (everyone is welcome of course)...

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    This is still an area I have yet to ride...I may have to wait until next year to make it happen out there though..
    What I would really like to do for next summer is get a big group together to do a weekend of camping and riding up there. I'd reserve a couple of sites at Stanley Lake and then folks can just ride whatever they want and then later in the day we'd get together for drinks and food and BS'ing. We (Chad and JJ and their friends) had a blast up there several weeks ago for the Stanley Music Festival.

It just takes a bit of planning and organizing to pull off though.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Why wait? RRB, and some East Coast friends are heading up for a weekend at the end of September, start of October... Come and join us (everyone is welcome of course)...
    Ahhh damnit...are you heading up there the weekend of 9/30? I'm gonna be in SLC for the big game that weekend. Bring your zero degree bags cuz it's gonna be COLD!!! It dipped down to 28 Sat. night/Sun. morning!!!

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Keep me in the loop. I've ridden it middle of a cold September a couple years back and loved it. Tights, long sleeves, not much risk of overheating..

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Belay - great shots. Looks like you had a nice weekend. I was able to squeeze in an out and back on Eagle's Nest yesterday. Fun trail, but what a grunt up the singletrack...

Change of subject - Belay, how did you get your seatpost on the Yeti to stop slipping? I'm having a similar problem on one of my fleet. I'm going to try the de-grease + chalk dust fix.

Aug 2004

No good

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Change of subject - Belay, how did you get your seatpost on the Yeti to stop slipping? I'm having a similar problem on one of my fleet. I'm going to try the de-grease + chalk dust fix.
    It's still slipping.

From what I've read in the Yeti forum, the clamp that comes stock on the 575 sucks. Folks are replacing them with Hope, Thompson, or Salsa clamps.

So what I've been doing this year is just torqueing the crap out of the clamp and it still slips . I won't be placing an order with QBP anytime soon, so a new clamp is just gonna have to wait.

just a man
    A little mist of water and Gorilla glue is bound to hold it.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    It's still slipping.

From what I've read in the Yeti forum, the clamp that comes stock on the 575 sucks. Folks are replacing them with Hope, Thompson, or Salsa clamps.

So what I've been doing this year is just torqueing the crap out of the clamp and it still slips . I won't be placing an order with QBP anytime soon, so a new clamp is just gonna have to wait.
    My slipping problems have been on two different steel frames, both using Thomson posts and Salsa post clamps. So, a nice post and a nice clamp isn't going to help much (especially if either the seat tube or seat post are not the stated size.) I looked up "slipping seatpost" last night (how I knew you were having the same problem) and found this potential solution: try de-greasing the post (and tube) and putting some kids sidewalk chalk dust on the post. Grease the bolt on the post clamp and re-assemble. I've heard this works. If this doesn't work for me, I'm going to go see Brian Grieger and have my post knurled - this was my solution the last time this happened.

Members who have read this thread: 0