Gore Tex socks? Differences? Winter almost here.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gore Tex socks? Differences? Winter almost here.

I will not let cold toes keep me off the bike. Again.

Performance has some Gore Alaska socks and Gore Tex socks.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=21209 and http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=21209

I remember an old post from some of you diehard winter riders. I think Brad (RIP in WA) swore by Gore Tex socks. Anyone have a preference between these two?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I have Sealskins. They are a little less $$$ and are sold by REI, which is good if anything goes wrong.

FYI - the Alaska are water-resistant, not waterproof. You'll want to get the Goretex sock at this addy, if you want a waterproof one:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1320
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    I've tried Gore socks, Smartwool, neoprene, thick and thin booties, silk, polypro, chemical warmers, SIDI Storm winter shoes, and all possible combinations the past 20 years. The only combination that has worked for me for 10 degree riding (and under) is:
    Base layer- thin silk sock
    Chemical warmer
    Smart Wool
    Regular riding shoes
    Booties
    Even with this combination, I'm only good for a little over an hour. At which point, if I want to keep on riding, I have to pick up the bike and run with it for a bit to warm up the toes. Someone was telling me that the new KY with the warming sensation works well… (for keeping your toes warm that is)..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    I've tried Gore socks, Smartwool, neoprene, thick and thin booties, silk, polypro, chemical warmers, SIDI Storm winter shoes, and all possible combinations the past 20 years. The only combination that has worked for me for 10 degree riding (and under) is:
    Base layer- thin silk sock
    Chemical warmer
    Smart Wool
    Regular riding shoes
    Booties
    Even with this combination, I'm only good for a little over an hour. At which point, if I want to keep on riding, I have to pick up the bike and run with it for a bit to warm up the toes. Someone was telling me that the new KY with the warming sensation works well… (for keeping your toes warm that is)..
    What would you use for 25 - 40 degree?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Lake winter boots and SmartWool socks is about all you need. I routinely wore that combo down to 10 degrees and my piggies never complained.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Lake winter shoes

If you love your pigs and that sixth toe, blow the wad and buy some Lake winter shoes!

And don't forget to fill the flask with Tullamore Dew so you don't care if the toes get sleepy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    smartwool and thicker booties...

Jul 2006
    I agree w/ Twisted Crank on the Lakes. I have a pair of Sidi winter boots that are great but still think the Lakes are better. I tend towards a pair of fleece ski socks that I pull up to my knees. The socks are much thicker than what I would actually ski with. Another critical addition is to fill my camelback with hot tap water and cytomax or such. I have drank hot Gatorade on cold backpacking trips for years and I think it tastes fine. By carrying it on your back it warms you inside and out. I once did a night ride in the snow at about 15 degrees and ended up in in just my long sleeve wool jersey as a top layer.

Aug 2004
    I tried the SealSkinz last winter and unfortunately had to return them. Even though they were somewhat thin, they were the difference between a comfy fit and a really tight, constricting fit once they were put on.

I also ended up selling my winter Answer Kashmir's at this past Bike Swap. not sure if I'm going to look into getting another pair of winter boots. My plan right now is to just put on platforms on either the SS or the Yeti and just wear winter hiking shoes with wool socks and toe warmers if it's really cold.

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    If you love your pigs and that sixth toe, blow the wad and buy some Lake winter shoes!

And don't forget to fill the flask with Tullamore Dew so you don't care if the toes get sleepy.
    Do they look like these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I'd used booties on my commutes down to 8 degf, and generally fine, but for some reason riding off-road at those low temps the booties w/good socks just didn't quite do the trick.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    May 2004
    10th or so on the Lakes. I think I had smarwool and the Lakes and my feet were fine.
    I may use chemical warmers on the top of the toe (over the sock, not agains the skin), and that was nice n' toasty riding in sub 20 degrees. To mention the hands, when it gets down there, I wear gore tex ski gloves

Members who have read this thread: 0