Good trails for recovering mt. biker?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good trails for recovering mt. biker?

Hey there, I'm new on the forum and was directed here by a mt. biking friend. I have been living in Sandpoint for 7 years without experiencing much mt. biking other than Schweitzer Mt. (where I always ride). The problem this summer is that I'm 8 weeks post-op from shoulder surgery. Dr. says no off-road biking...so I take that as no hills or technical trails.

I want to get riding again but I'm in tons of pain. I need to get my kids out on the trails and I've heard that Farragut might be a good choice? Any other ideas? Anyone taken their kids to the Wed races there? Mine might want to go.

Stacy

mtbr member

Surgery?

"The problem this summer is that I'm 8 weeks post-op from shoulder surgery. Dr. says no off-road biking...so I take that as no hills or technical trails"

What procudure did they perform on the shoulder? Much of what you can do right now will depend on what was done to the shoulder. If it was a Rotator Cuff Repair, Labral Repair etc. there is no point in pushing things this early.
    If you are in a lot of pain it may be better to be more conservative at this point. You may run a good chance of flaring up the shoulder even more on rough terrain or climbs. Furthermore, if you were to fall you risk the chance of ruining your repair (if you had a repair) or at the very least really flaring up the shoulde which is just going to set you back even further.
    Start out on the trainer and get some hours in for your base. Find some long paved rides with little climbing. Use this oppertunity to work on your conditioning, pedal stroke, cadence etc.

Way too often we see patients that get too aggrressive too early. Part of being a good athlete is listening to your body and knowing when not to work out.

Good luck and keep us abreast of how your recovery is going.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    I agree! I had a labral tear repaired almost 4 weeks ago, at the same time they did an acromioplasty (mumford) performed, basically shortening my collar bone by 3/4 of an inch. The ONE thing I have not done yet, is Mtn Bike. Sounds like you are in WAY more pain than I am, so I REALLY would not push it. Especially with kids. When I think about going out for a mtn bike ride before cleared by the doc, i start thinking about missing ski season when they have to open the shoulder back up after doing something STOOPID. Just take it easy and heal.

mtbr member

Yes, probably too soon...

Thanks Boise Boy and K2. I think that you are probably right. I have a very good surgeon and I should listen to him. Originally we thought that the surgery would be a posterior labrum repair, yet it ended up being a posterior capsule repair. I almost have all of my range of motion back except for reaching behind my back and up. Sudden moves or jerks hurt as well. I can't seem to stretch it out enough without PT. I seem to mask injuries well because this injury dated back to a fall during skiing about 13 years ago and I finally had enough pain.

I just got back from another post op visit and have just learned that I need to have my tailbone removed!! I dislocated it mt. biking a year ago and the pain has never gone away! I can ride as long as I can handle this pain. I looked at my doctor and told him that I am falling apart at 31 years old! Ha ha, well, I hope that you recover well K2. Looks like I'd better enjoy riding something easy until my next surgery! I'm really not accident prone, and so this is quite a shock to me! I know, we'll do the Hiawatha. I can tolerate that.

And I agree about thinking of the possibility of missing a ski season! I would like to start trecking up the mountain as soon as the snow comes back!

) Stacy

mtbr member

Tail bone removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy123
    Thanks Boise Boy and K2. I think that you are probably right. I have a very good surgeon and I should listen to him. Originally we thought that the surgery would be a posterior labrum repair, yet it ended up being a posterior capsule repair. I almost have all of my range of motion back except for reaching behind my back and up. Sudden moves or jerks hurt as well. I can't seem to stretch it out enough without PT. I seem to mask injuries well because this injury dated back to a fall during skiing about 13 years ago and I finally had enough pain.

I just got back from another post op visit and have just learned that I need to have my tailbone removed!! I dislocated it mt. biking a year ago and the pain has never gone away! I can ride as long as I can handle this pain. I looked at my doctor and told him that I am falling apart at 31 years old! Ha ha, well, I hope that you recover well K2. Looks like I'd better enjoy riding something easy until my next surgery! I'm really not accident prone, and so this is quite a shock to me! I know, we'll do the Hiawatha. I can tolerate that.

And I agree about thinking of the possibility of missing a ski season! I would like to start trecking up the mountain as soon as the snow comes back!

) Stacy
    This is interesting, I have never heard of one having a tail bone removed. Are they likely going to take a piece of your tail bone (Coccyx)?
    If you are having issues wtih dislocation/instability in the SI joint you may want to look into Prolotherapy to help stabilize the joint(s).

Please, if you don't mind, expand on the shoulder and tail bone issues for us.
    BoiseBoy

Feb 2008

Boise Boy

Stace, Jess is coming up if you are feeling better. Boise should know that you aren't supposed to be riding!
    Last edited by idaridesweety; 07-11-2008 at 10:17 PM.

mtbr member

Good luck

I hope that your Coccyx heals quickly! ( I am not sure that I have ever muttered those words fefore)
    Give the shoulder its due time to heal as well. There is a time and place to push things and this does not seem to be one of them.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Thanks, never thought I'd hear those words either!

Stacy

mtbr member

Thought I'd update on my shoulder and "coccyx" situation...

I went in to my 6 month post op for my shoulder today (I told the doc that I just started riding trails again a week ago. He asked how my shoulder held up and I said, "well, I'm sitting here aren't I?". So he jerked it around a little and told me that it was doing great so now I can mountain bike, ski, ski mountaineer, etc.

I told him that the shot he gave me in my coccxy hurt like heck for two weeks, then numbed it up for about a month and a half. I decided not to be a whimp and get another. So he shot me up and I can barely sit, but I know that there are better days ahead of me now. So I will be out on the trails riding as much as I can and I will keep in touch with the board for tips and tricks. I'm trying to get my lungs back into condition. I'm riding at a starting point of about 4300 feet and above so I need to get back into shape.

So now we have put everything up for sale (house and biz and land), and are considering doing some mt. biking / surfing somewhere tropical. Thats an entirely different post!

Cheers!

Stacy

Members who have read this thread: 0