Good Dirt- Mtbr.com

Thread: Good Dirt

Hoops - Big and Small

Good Dirt

Anybody climb 5 last night? Seems like it would be ideal right now.

I did an extended Dork/Barney - I connected Shanes with Hulls. Of course starting at CamelButt.

Back to the dirt, I noticed I was much faster last night as the dirt was in perfect condition.

It seemed I should have added a couple of more PSI to my tires (type [email protected] I know, forgive me please).

I could feel my tire roll under slightly and the knobs were diggin in perfectly at speed, say 15mph to 25mph.

Anybody else firm up their tires (a couple of PSI) for the tacky trails were getting right now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Anybody climb 5 last night? Seems like it would be ideal right now.

I did an extended Dork/Barney - I connected Shanes with Hulls. Of course starting at CamelButt.

Back to the dirt, I noticed I was much faster last night as the dirt was in perfect condition.

It seemed I should have added a couple of more PSI to my tires (type [email protected] I know, forgive me please).

I could feel my tire roll under slightly and the knobs were diggin in perfectly at speed, say 15mph to 25mph.

Anybody else firm up their tires (a couple of PSI) for the tacky trails were getting right now?
    During my run this morning, I noticed that the dirt was packed down nicely from the moisture (and I wished I was riding instead). It should be excellent riding conditions for the next few days. Velcro traction.
    As far as tire pressure, I keep mine the same all year around... around 35 psi for the tubeless stuff...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I don't put air in my tires. I have the solid plastic ones I got from my Big Wheel fixie. I carved knobies in it with my Swiss Army knife. I haven't had a pinch flat in 6 years.

I also pulled the cranks off and replaced them with pegs. I wanted to ride like Fred Flintstone and besides, I think a plump track is is my future.

Where's my map, melon farmer?

I can't wait for the inversions.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I call it "ego dirt" because you can do no wrong. I keep my psi the same: 28 front, 34 rear.
    I was on Eastside this Sunday when it sprinkled. Very nice traction (as usual, with or without the rain).

Hoops - Big and Small

[email protected] pressure check - Ouch

I'am running 30/35 in 2.5/2.3 819's setup - they both seemed to be rolling under the rim in a similar fashion. I'am talking a very small amount here, not enough to slow me down at all.

The back seemed to be more dramatic at the point it starts to roll (creating a slight weight shift), I guess my arms telegraph the front movement better than say my bigbutt.

I'am trying to reduce my consumerism footprint - but this biking upgraditis things seems to always get in the way. Maybe it's time to get one of these for trail side adjustments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aug 2004
    Wonder if the rain has packed down the Wilson Creek trails. Rode out there several weekends ago and was awash in dirt and sand for portions of my ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    I'am running 30/35 in 2.5/2.3 819's setup - they both seemed to be rolling under the rim in a similar fashion. I'am talking a very small amount here, not enough to slow me down at all.

The back seemed to be more dramatic at the point it starts to roll (creating a slight weight shift), I guess my arms telegraph the front movement better than say my bigbutt.

I'am trying to reduce my consumerism footprint - but this biking upgraditis things seems to always get in the way. Maybe it's time to get one of these for trail side adjustments.
    what kind of tires are you using?
    maybe the outer knobs are too tall and thin causing a bit of flop when carving turns OR the sidewalls are too thin...
    Like you, I don't like the feeling of tires "folding over" which is why I run higher pressures even though I'm sorta light...

Hoops - Big and Small

Conti's are my [email protected]

Conti Diesel/Gravity, 2.5/2.3, I love these tires! They both have the same tread pattern. Kinda tall knobs - not to bad.

Non UST, so they maybe thin in the walls, relatively light tires 760/680 grams I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I like Westin's description of "ego dirt." That's what I was thinking last night - the traction was amazing. Well that, and I had a great riding partner, and my legs felt like I could have ridden all night.

Oh yeah, PSI - I bumped mine up a tad in the Mutanos - I think I ran around 35 psi front and rear, as opposed to the 30 or so I ran Saturday up on Eastside, etc.. and Connie. It's almost time to swap over to the "winter tires" (Weirwolf front, Trailbear rear) for deeper tread and more grip in the soft stuff.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 10-17-2006 at 03:09 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0