Going to be in Whitefish for a few days. Trail recomendations?- Mtbr.com
    Bikecurious
    Aug 2007

Going to be in Whitefish for a few days. Trail recomendations?

Hi guys,
    I'm gonna be in Whitefish for about a week at the beginning of Sept for my cousin's wedding. I'm planning on trying to rent a bike and squeeze in some riding while I'm there. I've found a few places to rent from, but was looking for some trail recommendations. Preferably fairly close to the city of Whitefish because the car situation is going to be a bit limited. I live in the Shenandoah Valley in VA so I'm not sure what kind of elevation difference I'm looking at, so that could affect the cardio aspect of my rides. I'm not in the best of shape but I'm pretty used to a 2ish mile sustained climb on most rides, and I'm not above hiking it when I have to. There's a pretty good chance that I'll be riding solo also, so I'm not really looking to get myself too far out into the middle of nowhere/bear country. Any suggestions/thoughts/recommendations/advice/etc would be appreciated. Thanks alot.
    Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

if you will be in Wfish

then spencer and haskill basin are rides you can access right from town. When you get in call Glacier cyclery or great northern cycles and ask for some beta. Some rides and maps are up on great northerns website. PM me as time gets closer I may be around

jones'in
    When you get there, stop into Glacier Cyclery. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, my wife and I stopped in for a ride recommendation. They had a helpful trail book, written by a couple of locals called "Mountain Bike Rides of the Flathead Valley". It's a little rough around the edges, but it's got some great information in it. Cost about 12 bucks.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    I live here. PM me and Ill show you some rides. I even have a FR/DH bike you could ride for a small fee.

Bikecurious
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    I live here. PM me and Ill show you some rides. I even have a FR/DH bike you could ride for a small fee.
    Thanks, I appreciate the offer. How about just letting me borrow that badass bus in your avatar?
    Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g-bus
    Thanks, I appreciate the offer. How about just letting me borrow that badass bus in your avatar?
    Haha. Its a Montana short bus. I forget where I got the pic.

Anyway, if you are serious about some riding. Let me know. What type of riding are you into? I do it all from long epic XC to FR/DH. You just tell me what you are looking for and Ill show you the ropes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Montana Singletrack

I used this Montana Singletrack book in the Missoula area, and found it excellent. Easy to follow, consise descriptions with nice topo maps. I've never seen a mountain bike guidebook this well put together, although my experience with such books is limited.

The book has some alluring descriptions of rides in Whitefish - my next destination in MT if I can make it happen.

http://www.beartoothpublishing.com/guidebook.html

Members who have read this thread: 0