Georges Bike Swap- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Georges Bike Swap

Didn't want to hijack the other thread. I am glad there was a bike swap. I moved here recently and this is my first one (here). I think it is great for the sport and just all around fun. But the people running it took a decent chunk of my money. It then became business. If six weeks is a quick turnaround time than IMHO someone else should be doing it. There was also no reciept of what was sold given. I feel this is a reflection of Georges more than anything else. I am only one person but they lost a customer due to this.

dirt enthusiast
    if i remember correctly, the bike swap was called "the boise bike swap" not "georges bike swap". georges provided the warehouse for the swap. i'm sure they got their cut from the profits for their "donation" of the space. i agree that the 20-25% cut was a bit much but thats also the percentage i was willing (sorta) to let go if my bike sold. like it was said in the other thread, the main sponsor was team dobicacco not georges so i'm not really seeing how this is a reflection of georges. have you ever been in to a georges cycle?!

this is the website and i see nothing that would make one think that georges is the responsible party for the swap. in fact down at the bottom, it clearly states ~"Presented by BODE Cycling and
    Team Dobbiaco Cycling & Multisport"

http://boisebikeswap.com/
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

mtbr member

I wasn't aware of that.

I was under the impression that it was a Georges sponsered event. SInce the contact person was Mike Colley at Georges I was under that assumption. Sorry. I stand corrected. It is still a reflection of Team Dobicacco people who put it on. I was willing give the 20-25% but was expecting something in the service side of things. Also after leaving several messages with Mike Cooley and not recieving anything back speaks about how he does business. Yes, I have been to Georges a couple of times. Sorry but I am not impressed. Lots of inventory but that was about it. The Georges located near where I live is a group of kids working there (not too knowledgable but friendly). Another time I went for service downtown and the guy had no idea what he was talking about. I am sure there are some good eggs working there and it may be an isolated event but I would rather not take the chance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Service at Georges

I have had service performed at all three Georges and have always had excellent results. Brian and Bobby at State Street are at least excellent if not better, and Jason downtown has to one of the best bike mechanics anywhere.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    All the George's personnel treat me well. They even offer to deliver parts to my house. Mike, everyone at the Front Street store, and the Meridian store are super nice to me (and I am high maintenance). And if Jason, or Patrick don't know...well, I haven't come across that situation yet. Both of them go out of their way to help me. I like them so much I'm gonna let them work on my Sheep!!!
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    lucky sheep.

mtbr member

Hmmm

With all the praise I might give it another shot. There are also some other cool shops in town which makes it hard to decide who to give my money to....

Hi!!!
    While I think a number of us here are in agreement that the '07 version was a bit of a disappointment in comparison to past swap's, you need to consider a couple of things first.....

It's all volunteer work. I've been involved in other volunteer stuff around the valley and it's a ***** to get people to really commit 100% especially with as hectic of a schedule as everyone has nowadays. I don't know what Mike's role is in all of this, but I know Vern and Leah have run the swap since the beginning.

Like alot of other people....Vern and Leah have busy careers....Leah is over at Elk's and also has worked on this side for a number of years with some of ACI's teams. Vern I think is still working for one of the engineering firms (Power?) in town. Plus those two do like to travel around the globe each year.

With regards to the commission.....I think it's inline with what you would find with other swaps such as the BBSRA Swap and the Benchmark Swap. If it's too steep for you...you may want to consider jacking up the price on your items or just try to sell it on your own.

What else....oh.....and I think the success of a swap is also largely depenedent on what is being sold and how it's being priced. I know some folks here got some good deals this year....especially sweetflowersister's bling bling Jericho SS. I've been lucky in the past with selling all my stuff at what I believe at a fair price and fair commission.

As far as the lag time between the end of the swap and the time you receive your check....again I think it's inline with the other swaps in the valley. I'm sure it can be a PITA for someone working 40-50+ hours a week without an accounting background to reconcile everything that was sold at the swap and what belonged to whom and whatnot.

A couple of other things.....
    * They need more registers. Oh criminy can that line get looooong.
    * Be consistent every year with the location. One year it's on N. Cole, the next year it's at Overland & Five Mile, the next year it's behind Barnes & Noble. It'd be nice if they could do this at say Expo Idaho, but I bet it costs alot of $ to rent space there.
    * Less crappy stuff, more bling but priced cheap .

That's it for now. I do hope you give the BBS and George's another chance.

Nick

mtbr member
    May 2004

Yes, give them another shot

Quote Originally Posted by Phoinix
    Also after leaving several messages with Mike Cooley and not recieving anything back speaks about how he does business. Yes, I have been to Georges a couple of times. Sorry but I am not impressed.
    I've been doing business with Georges since I moved here about 4 years ago. I bought a bike right away when I moved here, a Specialized Enduro on sale at their State Street store.

Just get to know them. Mike has gone waaay out of his way for me and is a really good guy; Jason and the mechanics at the front street store are excellent and treat me really good. Mike not returning your calls I'm sure is not a reflection of how they do business, he's just super busy. Just go in!

my 2C
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    As far as the lag time between the end of the swap and the time you receive your check....again I think it's inline with the other swaps in the valley. I'm sure it can be a PITA for someone working 40-50+ hours a week without an accounting background to reconcile everything that was sold at the swap and what belonged to whom and whatnot.
    I've heard that the delay was caused by having to wait for payment to come in from the credit card companies. Not everyone paid with a CC, but many did. Until that money was paid to Vern from the CC companies, he couldn't send it out. The delay was long, but at least there was a reason behind it.

The Boise Swap is the only bike swap that I've been to that is run the way it is. There are pluses and minus with the system. Most swaps that I've attended are boths/tables that are "rented" to sellers for a flat fee. The seller mans their own booth, and collects the money themselves. The upside of that system is that if you sell a lot the cost to sell is low, and buyers/sellers are able to negotiate prices (usually there's great deals at the end). The downside is that those who have little to sell have a large up-front cost (often multiple people go in together on a space).

Instead of a single large swap, I wish we had several smaller swaps throughout the year.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    With all the praise I might give it another shot. There are also some other cool shops in town which makes it hard to decide who to give my money to....
    Boise is lucky to have several good bike shops, George's geing one of them. Unfortunately to me, they're all a lttle too cookie cutter. Everyone carries the big national brands, and everyone has the latest and greatest crap. No one carries handmade frames, or "out of the ordinary" components. It would be cool to have one shop in town that was less ordinary.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Barneys Unite!
    Have to agree - the shop guys at the Front Street store are great! Georges can be a little different, but I keep going back. I'm on my fourth bike from Georges, and they certainly treat me well.

TF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    (and I am high maintenance).
    I keep telling you, those thigh-high black leather boots need an army to keep 'em shiny. If they were pink, they'd be soooooo much easier. Pink boots and a pink eye-patch, and you'd be a sexy pirate!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    on my world....i'm already a sexy pirate.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

King of the Barneys
    I bought some chain lube at George's once, and it worked fine..

I've tried really hard to like IMT, but they're not friendly.

I like Bob's a lot. And for working on something tough or unusual you can't beat Brian out in Eagle. Aaron at Hyde Park's a good wrench, as are many others. World Cycle and Reed's are nice folks but I've never taken anything to them. Ken's a nice guy and has a great place to confidently send first-timers to. A-1 has lots of interesting inventory. There's a few other shops that I've heard are great.

Oh, and I like the folks at the new Meridian cycle shop where George's used to be. Raleigh, Felt, etc., and passionate friendly folks.

Re the bike swap, this last year just seemed cramped, not the inventory it had had in the past, and we just have to hope it will recover this next year.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Aaron at Hyde Park's a good wrench
    CDB
    Aaron is no longer at Hyde Park.

Hi!!!

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Aaron is no longer at Hyde Park.
    Is that Jon's brother?

Members who have read this thread: 0