Galena Grinder info?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Galena Grinder info?

Itís been a long time since Iíve ridden Galena, and Iím riding the Galena Grinder July 28th. Anybody here who can chime in with experiences/ pointers?

How technical are the trails, are there feed stations, etc...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Anybody???
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    There isnít anything technical in terms of rock gardens. There are some steep descents, steep climbs, and tight turns. The downs are fast. Idaho singletrack at its finest!!

I didnít race it last year and honestly canít remember if there are aid stations. I think there is one out on the south portion of the course, but I donít remember where. I have always left a couple of bottles at the start/finish to exchange. Iím particular about nutrition/hydration so tend to always self support. If you can carry two bottles, youíll probably be fine. Weather for Saturday looks sunny but cool, so that will help with hydration needs.

For the 25 miler, youíll do a 10 mile loop to the north, then a 15 mile loop to the south.

If your legs legs can handle it, itís worth going hard at the start, it can bottle neck and it gets dusty if you get stuck in the conga line.

There is a steep and long climb on the backside of the second loop. Most SS end up walking it.

Iím racing the 40 miler, so I will already be out by the time you start. Come say hello at the lunch afterward. Iím a thin build 6í3Ē and am riding for Billís Bike & Run. My kit is black and red, my name is John.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I looked at the course segments, the aid station is around mile 16.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPotato View Post
    I looked at the course segments, the aid station is around mile 16.
    I missed you on Saturday, but I was able to watch you start. Where did you place?

Being the only SSer, I managed a DFL overall, but still got the podium for my category. I was NOT ready for the climbing at altitude and bonked hard at mile 22...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Bummer to hear about the tough day. It is a tough course, the climb from the aid station will wring your legs out.

Being mentally prepared for that course was big for me. I had a similar experience the first time I rode it, now I have six under my belt.

I had a good day on the bike and rode well. I landed 4th overall.

I didnít end up staying for the awards ceremony like I had hoped. My driver was tired of hanging around and was anxious to head out.