FYI: Broken glass on Mtn. Cove Trail- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! FYI: Broken glass on Mtn. Cove Trail

As if you are going up Mtn. Cove Trail and before you get to the turnoff for the Connector....there are a number of shards of broken glass on the trail for a bit of a short stretch.

I'm guessing it was pretty recent cuz I have never noticed it this past week until today. There are no big chunks, but still could do some damage to your tires and your dog's feet.

Nick
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member

Glass

Nick, that glass has been there for as long as I can remember (couple years).
    I am not sure if it is true, but somebody told me that area was once a "dump" of sorts and the glass has been there a long time from being dumped years ago. If you look at the surface, there seems to be old ripped up pavement and other crap as well.

I did have a flat last year when up on the connector only to find a shard of glass stuck in my tire.
    It would be nice to have somebody clean it up beforer it starts to look more like the Table Rock party spot.
    Maybe they should bus the "jeuvies" in there for some community service.
    BoiseBoy

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    You are correct. It has been there for at least a year. The glass is just more noticeable now.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Cars Are Evil
    Why have 3 people posted about it but not done anything to clean it up?

mtbr member

He who lives in the glass house should not throw stones

Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    Why have 3 people posted about it but not done anything to clean it up?
    And you would make 4. Let us know when you begin your "clean up the footies" crusade and we will all chip in to help!
    BoiseBoy

Cars Are Evil
    I don't live anywhere near there. I was just checking out postings because I'd like to come check out Montana.

I regularly pickup trash on any trails I ride. And do a lot of scheduled work, clearing brush, hauling fill, etc. And attend meetings to keep the trails open.

BoiseBoy, you said " It would be nice to have somebody clean it up before it starts to look more like the Table Rock party spot."

Why not just do it yourself? Or do you always let "somebody" do everything for you?

I realize it's not my area, but it's just ridiculous to see mt bikers ANYWHERE not maintaining their own trails!

Hi!!!
    Actually I am planning on doing something about it. My schedule is pretty open next week and one of those days I will go out there with some gloves and a trash bag to try to clean up that section.

King of the Barneys
    Commander Fred came across the glass a couple weeks back on a solo and did stop and pick up as much as he could. It seems to be like rocks in a garden, they just work their way up to the surface over time.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    so you know y'all are cleaning up an old dump/campfire/burn barrel-type deal?

Kinda like picking up rocks at the beach....
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member

I heear you cluckin big chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    I don't live anywhere near there. I was just checking out postings because I'd like to come check out Montana.

I regularly pickup trash on any trails I ride. And do a lot of scheduled work, clearing brush, hauling fill, etc. And attend meetings to keep the trails open.

BoiseBoy, you said " It would be nice to have somebody clean it up before it starts to look more like the Table Rock party spot."

Why not just do it yourself? Or do you always let "somebody" do everything for you?

I realize it's not my area, but it's just ridiculous to see mt bikers ANYWHERE not maintaining their own trails!
    I too respect the trails and have no problems helping out and picking up power bar wrappers and what have you when I see them.
    My only problem is that I can't even walk right now because I am on crutches due to a recent knee surgery. All I can do is give moral support from afar right now.

My commment about Table Rock, which is a fun area of town to play in, but kids have used (abused) for years. I was part of a group a few years ago that picked up a bunch of glass/trash up there because it was getting out of hand. After a short period of time, it looked as if we had never been there to clean up. These under age kids think that they can just through their Bud liite bottles over the edge and forget about them.
    This is why I think that they should make some of the jeuvenile delinquent community service teams that you see aside the road on weekends help out. Make the kids who dirty the area clean it up.
    BoiseBoy

banned
    I don't ride the trail, or I would have cleaned it up.

Now get out there and clean it up. I don't want to hear anymore excuses.

mtbr member

speaking of litter

as usual, there is a lot of litter along rocky canyon road. the litter consist of mcdonalds bags, natty light case boxes, condoms, cigarette wrappers/cig butts, shotgun shells and similar. take a guess at which user group produces this litter?

mtbr member

Larry the Cable Guy

Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    as usual, there is a lot of litter along rocky canyon road. the litter consist of mcdonalds bags, natty light case boxes, condoms, cigarette wrappers/cig butts, shotgun shells and similar. take a guess at which user group produces this litter?

BoiseBoy

Members who have read this thread: 0