Treasure Valley Cycling Alliance (TVCA), www.biketreasurevalley.org, wants

to know your thoughts and concerns about bike commuting in Boise. Please

join us for our “FREE PIZZA” night at Id. Pizza Co. at 6840 Glenwood (near

State & Glenwood) on Monday, April 17th, 6pm. All we ask is that you bring

your ideas, appetites, and RSVP to [email protected] (so we know

how much pizza to order). The TVCA’s mission is to gather the knowledge and

experience of local bicyclists in order to help the Treasure Valley be a

community whose citizens and elected/appointed officials understand the

importance of bicycling and recognize the rights and needs of bicyclists for

the sake of community well being. Help us make a difference by telling us

what you think the TVCA needs to advocate locally for

and get free pizza.

OR Contact Jenny Hennessy - 208-860-3068 or [email protected]
    Last edited by Dingle; 04-16-2006 at 09:51 AM.
    Act like I'm hate of the Haitian from Hateville

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Urban sprawl + poor road design = city with poor future for bicycle commuters. Fact.

mtbr member

westin + no ideas = crybaby

Quote Originally Posted by westin
    Urban sprawl + poor road design = city with poor future for bicycle commuters. Fact.
    yeah westin. good idea. we should just roll over and take it. resistance is futile and all that jazz.

why don't you just go take a nap until its over!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    yeah westin. good idea. we should just roll over and take it. resistance is futile and all that jazz.

why don't you just go take a nap until its over!
    Yes, name calling is how you get things accomplished. Reread my post. I didn't say roll over and take it. And I didn't imply any resistance was futile. I stated fact. Urban sprawl is one reason commuting by bike is not popular. And poor road design is another.

But money (development) will crush the 20 cyclists who actually commute on a daily basis year round. I bet the number of you who commute to work a few times a decade is a bit higher but the reality is that bicycle commuters in Boise is more of a soapbox issue than regular practice.

Feel free to go to your pizza party with the idealistic notion you can do something about it. For everyone of you dreamers there is 5 multi-million dollar developers luring employees out to the rural parts, and they are not about to give any tax dollars to build a road with a bike lane when their SUV is 15 miles THAT way sitting in rush hour traffic.

Ever try riding a bicycle 1.5 hours to work one way and then hop in a suit to get ready for the meeting that pays for your $400,000 home in Eagle, pump out 14 hours and ride home in the dark while being run off the road? Didn't think so. While you're at it, ask Jenny Hennessy how often she commutes to work on a bicycle and leaves her Toyota Tacoma at home.
    Last edited by westin; 04-16-2006 at 10:23 PM.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    C'mon Dingle...what were you thinking...idealistic notions don't work....they never institute change....people in this country would never fight for anything they believe...those people you saw at the public meeting for the development on the 32nd St. loops were all a fig newton of your imagination....that lady that wanted to buy out the development she didn't exist....always give in to statistics...roll ever when ever you can...drink they chardonnay & ask for the KY...would you like another biscuit?
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Jan 2005
    Well All I know is I am a commuter 10 miles each way, I leave at 5 am, with Headlights, flashers on the rear, and eye contact up the wazooo... I stll saw my knees flash before my when a Jeep tried to t-bone me this am on my way in...

But the local govt has been great about bike lanes / trails and connecting cities in the planning..

But then again,, I am up North ..

Capt your knew delta chi name is Trippy....

Up North...damn yankee....

You shouldn't ride your bike. It is immoral, unjust, Un-American, and too "green". Damn granola! What are you thinking!!!! I bet you wear organic wool. How disgusting!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin

But money (development) will crush the 20 cyclists who actually commute on a daily basis year round. I bet the number of you who commute to work a few times a decade is a bit higher but the reality is that bicycle commuters in Boise is more of a soapbox issue than regular practice.

Ever try riding a bicycle 1.5 hours to work one way and then hop in a suit to get ready for the meeting that pays for your $400,000 home in Eagle, pump out 14 hours and ride home in the dark while being run off the road? Didn't think so. While you're at it, ask Jenny Hennessy how often she commutes to work on a bicycle and leaves her Toyota Tacoma at home.

So no I dont commute 1.5hrs. Not anymore, its closer to 20 minutes. I spent years dealing w/ long bike commutes and decided to buy a house closer to my job for that very reason. The wife and I both commute by bike everyday.

The reality is that this is a small town and now is the time to plan for commuting options. Not when there is no available space or $ to accommodate for alternates.

I'd like to know who on this board does commute by bike to get a general idea as to who does care about this issue.

And Westin, if you would ride more, it wouldnt take 1.5 hrs for a 15 mile flat commute.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    I'd like to know who on this board does commute by bike to get a general idea as to who does care about this issue.
    I sure don't commute by bike and I sure would like to. Heck, I'd pay the equivalent of a monthly parking fee to be able to ride safely to work. Right now I'd have to punch my way throught the evil consumer district (ie the mall and its tentacles) to get to Overland and Maple Groove from the north end. I'm not enough of a thrill-seeker to enjoy the non-existent bike lanes we have out here. And I do care about the issue. I can't make tonight but I did fire Jenny an email letting her know my thoughts.

In my mind this is a more important issue that pissing about the next trail to build in the foothills or why the trails are too easy.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Dingle, I ride everywhere for everything...except the 60lbs of spackle or the 70 lbs of dog food. I don't drive. Occasionally, I'll catch a ride with someone out to the 2O rides, or Eastside. EP says it is very hippie of me to ride up to Stack/Eastside. .

aaarrrggghh!
    Agreed.

Ian, I heard I Feel Waygah stopped by to see you. Did you get to play with his Ransom? And did you tell him that he need a bigger vehicle instead of that wussy ride he has.

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Capt your knew delta chi name is Trippy....

Up North...damn yankee....

You shouldn't ride your bike. It is immoral, unjust, Un-American, and too "green". Damn granola! What are you thinking!!!! I bet you wear organic wool. How disgusting!

What can i say,,,

I love the smell of wet wool in the morning, so ummm taint 'ed

aaarrrggghh!
    I talked with him a bit. I don't want to sound arrogant but I'm not really into the Ransom. Nice bike and all, but I think its way over the top. JMHO.

nah...don't worry about it. You don't have to be "into" anything...well...nevermind that is another topic.

Members who have read this thread: 0