Footies CX riders: What rubber are you on?- Mtbr.com
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Footies CX riders: What rubber are you on?

I had Bonti Jones CXes but they wore out quickly. I got a pair of Richie SpeedMaxes for cheap which I really like on the hardpack - but climbing sand or loose-over-hard tends to get skittish.

What gives you traction when the trails get so sandy?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Rocks Rock

Continentals

I like Contiental Verticle pros or Explorer pros. I prefer tubeless.. you can run the nonUST's tubeless if you use Stan's or something like it.
    You can do Geto Tubless pretty cheap if you don't have tubless rims. Spilt a 20 inch tube and place it on your 26 inch rim with the excess flopping over the edge of the rim. Put your tubeless or nontubeless tire on the rim using the proper amont of Stan's or something leaving the tube flapping out. Fill the tire with air and cut the excess tube off near where the tire bead seals to the rim.
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I had Bonti Jones CXes but they wore out quickly. I got a pair of Richie SpeedMaxes for cheap which I really like on the hardpack - but climbing sand or loose-over-hard tends to get skittish.

What gives you traction when the trails get so sandy?
    I like the SpeedMax 32mm tire, but they don't have the best climbing traction.

My favoirites are Richey Mount Cross 38mm tires, but I don't think that they're made any more. Once the set that I have wear out, I'll likely try some of the other 36-38mm tires that have started coming on the market in the past couple of years..
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member

Skin to win baby!

When I want to be a bit safer, I prefer the Durex ribbed.
    Last edited by BoiseBoy; 09-27-2006 at 07:30 PM.
    BoiseBoy

gringo-fied facsimiles

I got a little beef with the cx'ers

There are a selected few CX riders that need to learn a little trail edicate like SLOW THE FECK DOWN!!!! You roadies need to stay off the footies IF you dont know how to ride off road! I have had a chance to ride in the evenings a couple times in the last few weeks, not a usual time for me to ride I will add. EVERY!!! and I repeat EVERY CX rider that has passed my friends and i has been out of control fast for the amount of traffic. This is not your training ground!!! I do know the season for CX racing is quickly approaching, I understand the need to train but you must realize that so many other users use these lower trails for recreation. Cyclists are considered the minority out here. We yield to everyone else that utilizes the trail system or we risk loosing what we have access to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    jeez, sounds like ol' surly got more than a "little beef' from a few cx'ers. still raw I guess.

to get back to the original question......I like the michelin jet, it's says it's a 30 but it measures out actually @ 34. the high volume design lets you run'em a little soft 45psi ( I'm 165 lbs) and I've yet to pinch flat. I realize it's essentially a semi slick design, but at the softer pressures it works amazing. The mud design is good as well. Wear is decent.

I'd check out the specialized houfeleez(sp?), it looks good, oh, and the maxxis mimo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator
    There are a selected few CX riders that need to learn a little trail edicate like SLOW THE FECK DOWN!!!! You roadies need to stay off the footies IF you dont know how to ride off road! I have had a chance to ride in the evenings a couple times in the last few weeks, not a usual time for me to ride I will add. EVERY!!! and I repeat EVERY CX rider that has passed my friends and i has been out of control fast for the amount of traffic. This is not your training ground!!! I do know the season for CX racing is quickly approaching, I understand the need to train but you must realize that so many other users use these lower trails for recreation. Cyclists are considered the minority out here. We yield to everyone else that utilizes the trail system or we risk loosing what we have access to.
    Surly- I hear you talkin'. Flounder & I were just talking earlier today about the weird dynamic of roadies on crossbikes... I like to watch them try to dismount/run/trip/mount/fall/tumble. Anyway, a little trail etiquette re-education wouldn't hurt any of us. BTW- Hope you've been having a good summer- haven't seen you since the Moab trip...

Tires- I just threw on a set of the Houfallize and I think I'm going to like them around here. They hook-up really well and seem to be pretty "grippy". Although, they are a little slower on the pavement/asphalt than I'd anticipated.

Members who have read this thread: 0