Foothills SS gearing- Mtbr.com
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Foothills SS gearing

Flip: The SS conversion is a work in process right now - I've been pulling my drivetrain.

Depending on how much it rains vs. how much trail time I get in the next few days, I'll make progress on the conversion and towards the maiden voyage.

That being said, it's decision time for gearing. I'm polling the group. What is your prefered gearing for the foothills. I'm 1/2 mile from the trails so I won't be spinning too much. I've talked to people who ride 32x16 and I've talked to people who ride 32x20- That's a range.

What do you folks ride?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

Off the top of my head...

I think that mine maybe a 34X21 or 34X19... You got me inspired now... I may take out the purple-pink monster today if it clears up. I primarily use the SS in winter anyway to maintain strength...

King of the Barneys

Your, MMV, but here's what

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Flip: The SS conversion is a work in process right now - I've been pulling my drivetrain.

Depending on how much it rains vs. how much trail time I get in the next few days, I'll make progress on the conversion and towards the maiden voyage.

That being said, it's decision time for gearing. I'm polling the group. What is your prefered gearing for the foothills. I'm 1/2 mile from the trails so I won't be spinning too much. I've talked to people who ride 32x16 and I've talked to people who ride 32x20- That's a range.

What do you folks ride?
    I ride, a 32x20, and find it's pretty well suited to me and the foothills. Can do pretty much all the close in rides. Recently did Red Sands up on the SS, and with a lot of standing, made it all. Any harder gear ratio, I would probably have stopped, or injured my knees. YMMV.

Did Curlew loop from the police shooting range on the SS and thought it was perfect.

I've gone up Hulls about 100x on the SS, Corral's several x, Sidewinder, whatever, it's a versatile gearing. Tops out around 22mph, though, on the descents.

Chris Brown
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

32x18

What do you folks ride?
    My first SS was a 34x19 gearing - kind of strange, but I was starting with a "standard" bolt pattern crank, a converted LX rear hub, and a singleator. Pete had a 19t ring sitting around the shop, so that's what I used. The frame I was using (some frankenbike made out of Ritchey Logic tubing) was light enough to push it, and it seemed to work OK. When I went to a "dedicated" SS with horizontal dropouts (Redline Monocog), I kept the 34 front and used a 20 tooth freewheel in the rear. However, the frame was significantly heavier than what I'd used before (almost 3 lbs heavier), and I'd gained some weight, so I eventually replaced the crankset with a compact bolt pattern and ran a 32 front ring and a 20 tooth freewheel. I stayed with the 32x20 gearing through that bike and two more frames (a SISS and a 1x1) until this past spring - after losing 30 - 40 pounds, I realized that I could probably run a 32 x 18, which is what I switched to and what I'm still running. Depending on how big you are and how well you climb, I'd suggest starting with 32 x 20 and then replacing the 20 with an 18 if you find that 20 is too easy. Freewheels are cheap ($20 for an ACS claws) and are easily interchangeable with the right tool.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Thanks guys

FWIW I'm converting my Stumpy M4 which is a nice light frame with a geometry I really like. I'm not riding it now that I've got the squishy and I prolly could't get much money for it.

I'm 6'1 170 and more of a grinder than a masher - I usually ride up Hulls only to get out of my saddle to carry up the rocks.

Earthpig - I thing you're right about the freewheel. Do you swawp yours routinely depending on where you're going to ride? Or do you stick with 32-18?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

My 2 cents

[QUOTE=What do you folks ride?[/QUOTE]

I just finished a ride on my SS. Corrals was awesome, I had the trail to myself. All this rain must have scared the other trail users away. Easy Earth Pig, I'm joking, of course.

I rode and raced a 36x18 for several years, but it was a bit much for my knees in the foothills. Next to a 34x18 for all around or swap to a 20 for extended climbs. My latest SS usually is set up with a 32x18. Works well for most rides around Boise. For the extended climbing rides that pretty much come straight back down, I'll run a 20 in back.

My experiences are based on 26" tires, 180 mm cranks and wide handlebars for good leverage. I gave up on the BMX freewheels and V-brakes; went to discs and a freewheel with a cog and tubeless tires to boot. Shimano BMX gears never lasted long, ACS Claws were a little better. A grind up Hard Guy with a watery descent down Dry Creek would usually toast my ACS. Sometimes I could revive it by liberally applying WD-40 through the holes in the side.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Go 32x18

FWIW I'm converting my Stumpy M4 which is a nice light frame with a geometry I really like. I'm not riding it now that I've got the squishy and I prolly could't get much money for it.

I'm 6'1 170 and more of a grinder than a masher - I usually ride up Hulls only to get out of my saddle to carry up the rocks.

Earthpig - I thing you're right about the freewheel. Do you swawp yours routinely depending on where you're going to ride? Or do you stick with 32-18?
    Twisted - I have my 20t ACS sitting in my garage, but I haven't had the urge to go back to 20t since I went to the 18t. Probably out of laziness than anything else. Instead of swapping freewheels, if I know I'm going to ride long, steep climbs, I'll ride the gearie instead. At 6'1" and 170, you and I are exactly the same height and weight, so, especially if you're converting a lightweight frame (a friend of mine converted a very similar frame), I'd say start with a 32x18 gearing. And....let me know when you're doing the maiden voyage and we'll try to get a SWISS gathering there!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

great logo....

next thing you know we'll be having t-shirts, socks, hats... hehe
    i'm up for it... i just worked on the single speed last night for all of 30 seconds... gotta love simplicity (make sure chainline is tight and brakes don't rub)....
    I was even considering putting a very very retro fork on the SS but I'll need to find a crown and steerer adapter for the monster (I found an old fork I used to race with, a handbuilt Manitou back when Bradbury was building it out of his garage, classic)...
    G

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

t-shirts

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    next thing you know we'll be having t-shirts, socks, hats... hehe
    i'm up for it... i just worked on the single speed last night for all of 30 seconds... gotta love simplicity (make sure chainline is tight and brakes don't rub)....
    I was even considering putting a very very retro fork on the SS but I'll need to find a crown and steerer adapter for the monster (I found an old fork I used to race with, a handbuilt Manitou back when Bradbury was building it out of his garage, classic)...
    G
    Funny you mention the t-shirts. There are actually about 10 of them floating around Boise right now. I've got one, a couple of the guys at IMT have one, CBro's buddy GL has one, and I sent one to a guy in Washington in exchange for his Dragontongue Singlespeeds shirt. Socks, however - that's a great idea!

Classic forks just seem to fit on a SS. I put a squishy back on my SS about 6 weeks ago, but I'm torn as to whether or not I really like it. I'm *this* close to swapping the rigid back on my single.

(BTW, do you drive a Toyota pickup? About a month ago, I saw somebody turning onto Warm Springs Blvd from the old Pen road in a burgundy Toyota truck and I swore I saw what looked like your pink and purple monstrosity of a singlespeed in the back.)

mtbr member

Yeppers

If it was a Tacoma double cab with bikes in the back... specially an old klein with equally old (and disturbingly anodized) cook brothers, ringle, dia-compe parts... that would be me... i used to live in Surprise Valley, I just moved to the Northend last week...
    I think I'll hold off on putting the retro fork on the bike... I just took a look at how much adapters were and can't afford it right now in my semi-retired state....

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

SS part shopping today

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    ....let me know when you're doing the maiden voyage and we'll try to get a SWISS gathering there!
    With all the precip we've been getting, who knows when that will be. I managed to sneak in a mudless ride yesterday before the rain kicked in. BTW the range maggots (i.e., sheep) are back and they're doing their usual business between hulls ridge and curlew gulch.

I'm shopping for SS parts today. Depending on availability and delivery it'll prolly be next weekend at earliest before I'm trail ready. I'll take you're advice and go 32x18 since that'll the likely target gearing. I can always step up if necessary.

I vote for socks!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

long term forecast

With all the precip we've been getting, who knows when that will be. I managed to sneak in a mudless ride yesterday before the rain kicked in. BTW the range maggots (i.e., sheep) are back and they're doing their usual business between hulls ridge and curlew gulch.

I'm shopping for SS parts today. Depending on availability and delivery it'll prolly be next weekend at earliest before I'm trail ready. I'll take you're advice and go 32x18 since that'll the likely target gearing. I can always step up if necessary.

I vote for socks!
    Looks like the foothills may be rideable by next weekend, at this rate. The long term forecast, for what it's worth, indicates that this weather pattern is supposed to change by the middle of next week and it's supposed to dry out a tad. If we can get some dry weather starting Wednesday, the trails should be set up nicely by Friday.