FlipnotinIdaho- Mtbr.com

Thread: FlipnotinIdaho

mtbr member

FlipnotinIdaho

Greetings from Subic Bay, RP. I was supposed to do a race here but a nasty gout attack got me a couple of days before a race so I ended up being team support... Yes, road race and flipnidaho are not normally found in the same sentence together and no one in ID has ever seen me in a full team kit on a road bike in North America (unless it's Halloween). Enjoy the pics... The cycling scene in the PI is very exciting. A lot like mountainbiking 20 years ago. People are enthusiastic and the sport is growing like wildfire.

Subic Bay used to be the largest USN base outside the continental US. On June 15, 1991, Mount Pinatubo, just 20 miles from Subic Bay exploded with a force 8 times greater than the Mount St. Helens eruption. Day turned to night as volcanic ash blotted out the sun. Volcanic earthquakes and heavy rain, lightning and thunder from a typhoon passing over northern Luzon made Black Saturday a 36-hour nightmare.
    By Sunday morning, when the volcano's fury subsided, Subic Bay, once one the most beautiful, well-maintained Navy bases in the Pacific, lay buried under a foot of the rain-soaked, sandy ash.

Since the base was cleaned up and closed by the US, it has been turned into a freeport...
    The beach and sunrise/sunset pictures are from the Subic Park Hotel (my homebase). The room rate is less than $40/day including breakfast or dinner (plus WiFi!). The other pics are of teammates at dinner and pre-race...
    As you can see by the bike pics, "Bling" is universal (but it's pronounced "Bleeeng" here in the PI).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flipnidaho; 02-17-2007 at 04:17 PM.

mtbr member

Weapon

As part of the pro-deal with the team, I got a Vellum Equilibrium frame at $1000 off retail, full Ultegra 10 and AC350 wheels for what would be cost in the US...
    Prologue pics.

mtbr member
    More teammates. MHAT (Men's Health-All Terra) is the team I belong in. The team started a couple of years ago as a mountain bike team but has since grown into a mountain bike, road, multi-sport and ultra endurance teams (with about 25-30 riders). All Terra is a great bike shop owned by Edmund, a very good friend.

mtbr member

Yes

There is a lot of potential mountain biking in Subic. There are also monkeys, fruit bats (bats the size of redtailed hawks) and some cobras and pythons up in the hills... These monkeys were watching the race...
    Young Monkey 1 "Whoa! check out that Seven Ti with full DuraAce"
    Young Monkey 2 "Duuuude, that's no DuraAce, that's the new SRAM force!"
    Old Monkey 3 "You two are on crack, that's Record carbon"
    Momma monkey with kid "Stupid men and their freakin' bikes"
    End of day dinner picture...

mtbr member
    Nice pics!! Even though it was 60 in Boise today, I'd rather be there!

I hope that you toe gets back to normal quickly.
    Last edited by laffeaux; 02-17-2007 at 06:42 PM.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

just a man
    Those look great Gary, glad you're having a good time!

mtbr member
    whole left foot is still swollen. luckily i can almost walk normally and it's relatively pain-free (compared to when it flared up!). I'm hoping that I can ride by later this week. I'm getting chunky eating and not exercising...
    Unfortunately, my camera died today during the crits so I'll have to fix it myself, get if fixed or get a new one... .Dangit!
    Here are some post race shots and a picture of how NOT to carry propane... The vehicle is a tricycle (short distance mode of transportation in the PI).

liver abuser
    Flip, try massive doses of aleve. It works great for that foot issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyGonzalas
    Flip, try massive doses of aleve. It works great for that foot issue.
    thanks dude... local ortho prescribed Mobic and Colchisine. I can almost walk normally now even though my foot still looks like the Michelin Man's. An ortho visit, X-Rays, blood test and prescriptions cost about $25 total (OR the same as my co-pay at home). Crazy eh?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    G-

Dad had that. Diet will take care of a majority of that for you. No dinugan for you!! Take care of yourself. Hope you feel better.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Hi!!!
    Gary --- do you drive yourself around or do you use a driver like we do?

mtbr member
    Visi- The weird thing is, my diet is almost all composed of stuff that is not conducive to gout (except for the occasional deviation and Gilbert visit). Oh well... maybe a tweak here and there and we'll see how it goes..

Nick- No, I'd never get anywhere driving around here by myself. However, Subic still follows "American" traffic laws very strictly so it's a lot like driving in the States and I drove around a little bit while I'm there but the foot made it hard to operate a clutch.

liver abuser
    Beer is abig culprit and dehydration

mtbr member
    May 2004

Beautiful place man

Nice pics. Say, curious, we've talked about this - do you sleep better over there than you do here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Nice pics. Say, curious, we've talked about this - do you sleep better over there than you do here?
    about the same after recovering from jetlag... maybe a little bit more since I don't have much to worry too much about doing things around the house...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Knowing that these are around to keep the fist sized cockroaches away from me in my bedroom is comforting as well..

Members who have read this thread: 0