Fires, smoke and trail closures Teton Pass, Jackson and Whitefish areas?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fires, smoke and trail closures Teton Pass, Jackson and Whitefish areas?

Hi, early next week I'm heading to Driggs ID for a few days mountain biking, road riding and hiking. I'm planning on popping over the pass to do the same around Jackson as well.
    After that, I'm planning on heading up to Whitefish for more of the same.
    I hear Glacier NP is badly affected by smoke and fire. I had hoped to ride Going To The Sun but it's currently closed.
    So, my question is...what are conditions like around Driggs and Jackson? I'm considering cancelling my accommodation in Whitefish and maybe staying longer around Driggs or maybe heading somewhere different to escape the fires and smoke.
    Thoughts?

beater
    Driggs has had variable conditions. There was one smoky day, but itís mostly haze. Much better than NW Montana right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    whitefish has been quite variable
    right now its great- I can see probably 15 miles At times its been horrible. Usually though its been ok to ride. The views have been limited.

The pattern is changing and general relief is promised by next week.

If you really want to ride the sun road i would watch the weather and the smoke forecast website and play things by ear.
    Even if you come up here i would pick my sun road day by the weather and the vizz, no sense going up there without the view.

Let me know if you need websites for reference

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Driggs has had variable conditions. There was one smoky day, but itís mostly haze. Much better than NW Montana right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i guess i should clarify that i mean riding the sun road from the east which is sometimes a better way in the summer as you don't have the closure issues (meaning the normal mid day closures)
    The east side is still open

Quote Originally Posted by threepin View Post
    whitefish has been quite variable
    right now its great- I can see probably 15 miles At times its been horrible. Usually though its been ok to ride. The views have been limited.

The pattern is changing and general relief is promised by next week.

If you really want to ride the sun road i would watch the weather and the smoke forecast website and play things by ear.
    Even if you come up here i would pick my sun road day by the weather and the vizz, no sense going up there without the view.

Let me know if you need websites for reference

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the updates..
    @threepin...we plan on staying in Whitefish so weren't really planning on having to drive over pass and back again but good to know that the east side doesn't have the closures to deal with.
    Is the scenery as good on the east side?
    Also, the 11am -4pm closures...how does that work? Do "they" stop you riding past a certain point at 11 but you're OK riding past 10:55 to complete your ride..or are you supposed be off the road completely during the period?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    the scenery on the east side is different, possibly better, the distance from the plains to the divide is quite short on the east side making it a bit more dramatic. Unfortunately with the west side closed i would assume the east is busier than normal.
    The 11-4 closure is total along lake macdonald (east and west bound) and eastbound only on the climb. You may not be in the zone during those time periods heading the prohibited direction.

To be honest in those areas i would never want to be biking then any way- road is narrow, curvy and most of the drivers are on vacation with their brains turned off.

I am not sure where you are coming from but if really seeing and biking glacier is important perhaps a different time would be better.
    The best time is actually before the sun road opens to cars (say mid june) its basically a bike trail then. Second best would be late season when most folks have gone home. Regardless the best time of day is late, fewest cars, more wildlife. If the smoke clears there are other things to do in this area. Another great ride in the park is the inside north fork rd which has a section of washed out rd so the center third has been closed to cars, sadly that too is now closed due to fire

Quote Originally Posted by SixZeroSixOne View Post
    Thanks for the updates..
    @threepin...we plan on staying in Whitefish so weren't really planning on having to drive over pass and back again but good to know that the east side doesn't have the closures to deal with.
    Is the scenery as good on the east side?
    Also, the 11am -4pm closures...how does that work? Do "they" stop you riding past a certain point at 11 but you're OK riding past 10:55 to complete your ride..or are you supposed be off the road completely during the period?