Featherville, Fairfield, Atlanta, Lowman...info?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Featherville, Fairfield, Atlanta, Lowman...info?

I am looking for any trail advice on the featherville and atlanta areas. I have ridden most of the stuff betweenSun Valley, Stanley and Challis, so I am ready to do some more exploring in other directions. Also, any riding toward Lowman and Grandjean would be cool. Probably not this week, but riding through a burn area in the fall, WOW .
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Ryon

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Deadwood ridge>Julie Creek outside of Lowman is really good.

just a man
    If your interested in blowing a lung or two out, go climb Soldier Mtn in Fairfield.

*Egads*

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the info. It sounds like not a lot of exploring has been done in these areas. I guess I'll have to just do a bunch of out and backs until I can figure it out. Anybody know about the hot springs in the area? thanks again,
    ryon

mtbr member
    Up in the fairfield area; there is skillern hotsprings. Look in a hotspring guide or in the idaho mountain biking book. I've hiked in there and the springs are nice. Looked like there could be some decent riding; though not particularly technical.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    The trails up above Baumgartner (11 miles past Featherville) are a kick in the pants. Mostly set up for ATV's, but I've seen some bikes up there and the terrain is very technical.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthebars
    The trails up above Baumgartner (11 miles past Featherville) are a kick in the pants. Mostly set up for ATV's, but I've seen some bikes up there and the terrain is very technical.
    there are actually only a couple of trails that are atv-able. most of the terrain in that area and north is atv-proof singletrack. i have ridden 1000's of miles there on the dirt bike. it's fairly technical for the average dirtbiker, but easier on a mtn bike in many respects. many of the trails are long tho, so it's hard to do short loops.

possible fun rides:
    a) kelly creek atv trail to blue ridge (singletrack) to virginia gulch and back down.
    b) up skeleton creek to east skeleton to conan creek back to road and back to skeleton creek.

caveat: i usually ride 60-100 miles every day on the dirtbike there, which leaves me tired enough to not be interested in mtn biking. i still bring the mtb, just in case i have a mechanical disaster early in the trip and need to stay entertained the rest of the week, but riding ktm's i haven't had one yet.
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by velosapiens
    there are actually only a couple of trails that are atv-able. most of the terrain in that area and north is atv-proof singletrack. i have ridden 1000's of miles there on the dirt bike. it's fairly technical for the average dirtbiker, but easier on a mtn bike in many respects. many of the trails are long tho, so it's hard to do short loops.

possible fun rides:
    a) kelly creek atv trail to blue ridge (singletrack) to virginia gulch and back down.
    b) up skeleton creek to east skeleton to conan creek back to road and back to skeleton creek.

caveat: i usually ride 60-100 miles every day on the dirtbike there, which leaves me tired enough to not be interested in mtn biking. i still bring the mtb, just in case i have a mechanical disaster early in the trip and need to stay entertained the rest of the week, but riding ktm's i haven't had one yet.
    My friend ripped her KTM 200's hydraulic clutch line in half at Baumgartner. Totally freak incident. Well, not for her: she crashes like no other from time to time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by velosapiens
    Can you describe the turn off to Blue Ridge? This summer we rode to the top of Kelly Creek, and the ATV track headed toward the look out. The map showed a cut off trail about the first drainage to the right (after summitting on Kelly Creek) that would take you to the ridge and over to Virginia Gulch. We spend a bunch of time looking for the cut off and never did find it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    Can you describe the turn off to Blue Ridge? This summer we rode to the top of Kelly Creek, and the ATV track headed toward the look out. The map showed a cut off trail about the first drainage to the right (after summitting on Kelly Creek) that would take you to the ridge and over to Virginia Gulch. We spend a bunch of time looking for the cut off and never did find it.
    the very first signed trail to the right is the one you want. do you have a gps? nat'l geographic Topo! ?

the atv track goes up and up and up, then flattens out and goes down a little then rolls for a bit before you get to the saddle where it starts going up in earnest to the lookout (and bremmer trail heads down to the south). the turn off you want is a couple miles before the real saddle. once you turn off, you also want to take the first right turn, away from whatever it is, maybe middle fork of lime creek or something.
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Members who have read this thread: 0