Fatbike (snow) singletrack near Sun Valley?- Mtbr.com
    This place needs an enema

Fatbike (snow) singletrack near Sun Valley?

Going to be in that zone sometime in the next few weeks. Will have a bike, would love to get a few rides in.

The googles have thus far steered me toward a few pay-to-use nordic systems, but it's not clear if you're paying to ride wide nordic corduroy or if there are separate singletracks, too.

Not really interested in wide corduroy -- would like something more intimate, engaging. You know -- singletrack.

Can anyone steer me toward snowshoe trails or other skinny track?

Feel free to PM or email (mike dot curiak at gmail) if there's something worth riding that you don't want to put out for mass consumption. I can keep secrets.

Thanks much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I've always had good luck reaching out to Sturtevants for trail updates/access prior to heading that way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The sweet secret stash is a few hours north of where you are going. If you happened to be up that way... I know a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemusher View Post
    The sweet secret stash is a few hours north of where you are going. If you happened to be up that way... I know a guy.

If our route were likely to take us that far north, you'd have already gotten an email!

Thanks tho!

Circling back to answer my own question: There isn't much other than pay-to-ride nordic stuff, and the MUP running N/S through the valley.

But they have amazing/extensive trail systems if you're a nordic skier.

mtbr member
    I'm over near Wyoming and there's a good selection of fat bike riding, according to members of my MTB club.

I can't speak for the trails personally; I pick up my first fat bike today. I know and trust the folks giving me recommendations though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jalepenio jimenez
    35 miles north of Sun Valley beginning at Smiley creek is a groomed snowmobile trail that extends into Stanley and west out highway 21 to and through Bear valley and on to Warm Lake and eventually to McCall, with occasional off-shoots. I don't know their rules on fatties, but suspect they're cool.
    What isn't cool is riding on the cross country ski trails just north of Smiley creek and those west of Stanley.
    Fourth of July creek between Smiley creek and Stanley may be hammered enough by the bubbleheads that you could get up into the 13 mile long basin the road takes you up into. Popular area for mobiles and rightly so: big country and high elevation at the end of the road - 9000 feet.
    The ride from highway 21 into Bear Valley would also be an awesome section of groomer that is friendly angle of up and down. The start of that trail is about 20 miles out highway 21 west of Stanley.
    Other groomed mobile trails west of Sun Valley north of Fairfield would get you into some decent riding.
    After a big dump these snowmobile trails don't get regroomed right away so you should check: stanley.id.gov - Winter Activities & Events
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    35 miles north of Sun Valley beginning at Smiley creek is a groomed snowmobile trail that extends into Stanley and west out highway 21 to and through Bear valley and on to Warm Lake and eventually to McCall, with occasional off-shoots. I don't know their rules on fatties, but suspect they're cool.
    What isn't cool is riding on the cross country ski trails just north of Smiley creek and those west of Stanley.
    Fourth of July creek between Smiley creek and Stanley may be hammered enough by the bubbleheads that you could get up into the 13 mile long basin the road takes you up into. Popular area for mobiles and rightly so: big country and high elevation at the end of the road - 9000 feet.
    The ride from highway 21 into Bear Valley would also be an awesome section of groomer that is friendly angle of up and down. The start of that trail is about 20 miles out highway 21 west of Stanley.
    Other groomed mobile trails west of Sun Valley north of Fairfield would get you into some decent riding.
    After a big dump these snowmobile trails don't get regroomed right away so you should check: stanley.id.gov - Winter Activities & Events

Thanks for checking in. I've ridden some of that and will ride more at some point. What I've seen so far has been slednecks riding on summer roads. Great if what you want is to be out all day and cover ground. Not super engaging tho -- closer to road riding than mtb riding.

Haven't been up 4th of July creek yet tho. Thanks for the tip.