Family trip to Jackson WY- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Family trip to Jackson WY

(Did a few searches but couldn't find anything so if this topic has been covered a million times please just direct me to the existing threads.)

I'll be in Jackson (Teton Village) Aug 17-21 with family and want to do a little riding. We will have time for maybe 4 rides max. One or two of which will be with my whole family (mom, dad, sister, brothers and wife). Two or Three of the rides will just be my brothers, wife and me. My mom, dad and sister will be most comfortable on scenic bike paths, fire roads or the most tame of single tracks. My wife, brothers and I ride 3-4 times a week and like technical cross country and mild all mountain type riding.

Questions.
    If you were me what rides would you do?

Where would you rent bikes for mom, dad, and sister?

Thanks in advance for the help.

mtbr member
    ClintChild,

If you are staying in Teton Village you will have several options. A lot will depend on what you want to ride. There are great DH trails off the top of Teton Pass which is only around 20 minutes from Teton Village. There are also several trails such as Put Put which is on the edge of Jackson.
    Stop by one of the shops and you can get better beta on which trails are around and will suit your goals.

In regards to renting bikes, there are a couple of places in Teton Village that rent bikes. You could ride around Teton Village on the mountain. You can also take the tram up and get some gravity in.
    Again, there are a couple of shops in town such as Hobart's that will also rent bikes.

One thing to think about with the family is taking the paved path from Teton Village North into the Teton National Park. It is an easy ride with only one short climb. I believe that it is around 7 miles up to Jenny Lake from Teton Village. My wife and I did this, ran the trail around Jenny Lake (about 7 miles), then rode back to the Village and it made a great day trip.
    There is a ton of hiking in the Tetons including right out your back door at Teton Village. If you want an easier hike that is doable by all levels of fitness I would suggest the hike around Jenny Lake. If you only want to do half of the hike you can always take the ferrry.

Teton/Jackson is our favorite place to vacation and I think that your family will enjoy themselves. There is almost too much to do in that area.
    BoiseBoy

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy
    You can also take the tram up and get some gravity in.
    No, you most certainly can not.
    Teewinot for a few hundred vert (with a bunch of tabletops and singletrack) yes, but NOT the tram.
    The real go to shops are Fitzgerald's and Wilson backcountry.
    Good luck, you will find plenty of everything.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm actually in Jackson right now and I would definitely recommend just riding in the resort when not with the family. There's some good singletrack, a big jump park that's really fun, and they're building a pretty sick new line that might be open by the time you're here.
    2011 Sette Jamr
    '08 Azonic Steelhead
    '09 Norco Fluid LT3

Members who have read this thread: 0