F@#$!^@#$ drove into the garage this morning with bike on rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

[email protected]#$!^@#$ drove into the garage this morning with bike on rack

I just have to vent to a *sympathetic* crowd. I left my bike lock key at work yesterday so I parked the car outside over night. I got up this morning and drove my son for school. When I came back; I had left the garage door open. Usually, I just pull the remote off the visor and when I reach for it, I remember my bike is on top. Since it was already open, I idled in until I heard the horrible crunch. ^%[email protected]#$!^[email protected]#[email protected]#[email protected]#[email protected]#

I"m pretty sure the bike is okay. My brake levers twisted down and that is the only thing I could see. Didn't appear to be any cracks on the headtube or anything bent.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear it, and I hope your bike, car, and house all survived without too much damage. If all three escaped major damage, you were lucky. (I hope you were.)
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

just a man

oh man

I did the same stupid thing (fortunately not my bike on the rack at the time) about a year and a half ago. The thing that really steamed me is that it wasn't the first time I ran into something with a bike on the roof. The first episode i forgot the bike was up there and decided to pull in a fast-food joint for a little pre-ride grub. The overhang met the bike and ended up costing $2500 to fix the car (roof, rain gutters,etc).

This last episode left a nice big gouge and dent in the roof - which is still there today....

dirt enthusiast
    bummer! sounds like it turned out better than it could've!!

~at georges, we sell these little signs that suction to the window that state "bike on roof!" maybe they really do come in handy!
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by georgezilla
    at georges, we sell these little signs that suction to the window that state "bike on roof!" maybe they really do come in handy!
    Those are probably worth their weight in gold. After I had my accident and then my wife drove halfway into the garage with the Yakima Spacecase on the roof, I took those red shop towels and mounted them to the garage door with some black sharpie inscriptions. One says "Cargo Box?" and "Bike on Roof?" I think the main thing to observe is not talking on the mobile phone as you roll up to the garage.

mtbr member
    I've done pretty well by pulling the remote off the visor for a long time. The door was open this morning so it didn't work. I'll probably switch to a behind the vehicle carrier now. Unfortunately the car doesn't have a receiver currently.

mtbr member
    &@$^%@#$% just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse.... I just got back from picking up my 16 yr old from the grocery store for shop lifting. When am I going to get a chance to ride with all this..

Oh, and while picking her up, the shop building my new rear wheel called to say the hub came in but he doesn't have the right spokes so now I have to track down spokes. (black 256mm DT 201820 and 16mm silver alloy's) Guess I better make sure I still have a frame before I invest any more in a new wheelset.

Hoops - Big and Small

Been Their Done That

Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    I've done pretty well by pulling the remote off the visor for a long time. The door was open this morning so it didn't work. I'll probably switch to a behind the vehicle carrier now. Unfortunately the car doesn't have a receiver currently.
    The following day after I whacked the garage with my bike the roof rack was gone, I'll never forget that sound of crashing metal - sorry to hear about it.

Here's one way to get Hitched

http://store.uhaul.com/hitches.aspx

just a man

It's just one of "those" days

&@$^%@#$% just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse.... I just got back from picking up my 16 yr old from the grocery store for shop lifting. When am I going to get a chance to ride with all this..

Oh, and while picking her up, the shop building my new rear wheel called to say the hub came in but he doesn't have the right spokes so now I have to track down spokes. (black 256mm DT 201820 and 16mm silver alloy's) Guess I better make sure I still have a frame before I invest any more in a new wheelset.

Sounds like that old Limp Bizkit song "Break Stuff" and that Michael Douglas movie "Falling Down." Hang in there big guy, things can only get better...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

You NEED a ride!

&@$^%@#$% just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse.... ......... When am I going to get a chance to ride with all this..
    Ironically, this is about the time that you need to get lost in the hills for about 2 hours! ("Get lost in the hills" was figurative - don't REALLY get lost, your day could get even worse!)

jones'in
    Sorry to hear that man. I've never driven into my garage, but I did smack my roof-mounted bike into the overhang at the McDonalds drive through after a ride. I was moving slowly, so I didn't do any permanent damage to my bike, but it sure was embarrasing......

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

me too

Yep, I've done it too. The worst that happened in my case was the rack was done for. About 4 of the bolt heads sheared off the rack and it broke both cross bars. The picture doesn't make it look that bad though. Bike and house were mostly ok with the exception of a smashed rain gutter and a broken seat. I left the smashed rain gutter up as one of my reminders. I also pull a garbage can into the parking space so I have to get out and move it before pulling in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Lost in the hills sounds great! The good news is my bike seems to be fine. I had to adjust my caliper a little so my fork is a little tweeked but I planned to replace it probably next spring.

Hoops - Big and Small
    Now you've got to change your signature to "If your never crash your bike into your garage, your not living hard enough!".

my girl rides also
    Feb 2005
    As much as I'd love to get a roof rack, almost everyone I"ve known who has had one has done something along these lines.

And I have gone to multiple friends' house's and seen signs hanging over garage doors as friendly reminders....always makes me smile.
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sorry about that, that sucks. Bikes are tough tho, and it sounds like your frame didn't get touched, no stress there. Unfotunately no practical way to tell for sure, eh?

I did this similar with a roadbike - tweaked my rack and scuffed the seat but that's all.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Unfotunately no practical way to tell for sure, eh?
    You can send the frame back to the manufacturer (or a local framebuilder) and they can put it on an alignment table to make sure the angles are still good, and the frame is still straight. It would be harder to see if you've created stress risers on the welds however...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    yep, short of xray, or penetrant inspection
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    I"ll take my chances. The way the rack disintegrated, it should have soaked up a whole lot of energy. I don't have xrays done when I hit trail obstacles.

mtbr member
    same thing happened to another poster here a couple of years ago (i think it was a Turner). insurance may have taken care of it and i think he ended up with a new frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0