Event: Willow Lane Dirt Jump Park Work Days - April 9 & 30, 2005- Mtbr.com
    Wandervans

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! SWIMBA Event: Willow Lane Dirt Jump Park Work Days - April 9 & 30, 2005

For Immediate Release

Date: March 15, 2005

Phone: 384-4060 ext. 319

email: [email protected]

Event: Willow Lane Dirt Jump Park Work Days - April 9 & 30, 2005

SWIMBA AND BOISE CITY PARKS AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT ANNOUNCE

BOISE - The Southwest Idaho Mountain Bike Association (SWIMBA) and the
    Boise City Parks And Recreation Department are coming together to host a
    series of work days on April 9, 30 at the Willow Lane Sports Complex Dirt Jump
    Park. The two Saturday events will combine the efforts of volunteers and
    professionals to shape jumps, remove some rocks and weeds.

Boise City Parks will provide shovels, rakes, wheelbarrows, hoses,
    etc.. Volunteers should bring work gloves.

Please bring your bikes. The tires are a great tool to help pack and
    shape the jumps. The goal is to accommodate more riders of differing
    abilities from novice to experienced.

SWIMBA has been supporting the Ridge to Rivers trail system for many
    years by assisting in trail building and maintenance. The work days will be a
    joint effort of these groups to raise public awareness of the areas
    excellent bike trail system and the Dirt Jump Park.

Registration for the event will open on March 17 and close on April 7,
    for the April 9 build day, and will open on April 11 and close on April
    28, for the April 30 build day. The event is limited to 30 people each
    day.

Saturday April 9, 2005 - 9:30 am-2 pm

Saturday April 30, 2005 - 9:30 am-2 pm

Register by contacting

Jerry Pugh, Boise City Volunteer Coordinator

[email protected]

Phone: 384-4060 ext. 319
    Last edited by smilycook; 03-25-2005 at 08:23 PM.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

ride your bike
    Hey....I live up north in Coeur d'Alene. I am wondering how you guys got a DJ park to come into fruition down there. The local place where we jump is getting bulldozed soon so they can build a medical complex. Any ideas on dealing with the city, parks, etc. would be greatly appreciated. FWIW, we do have a new IMBA chapter started up here. Don't know if that could help things or not. Thanks for any info!
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

Wandervans

The first step is to find a suitable location..

Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    Hey....I live up north in Coeur d'Alene. I am wondering how you guys got a DJ park to come into fruition down there. The local place where we jump is getting bulldozed soon so they can build a medical complex. Any ideas on dealing with the city, parks, etc. would be greatly appreciated. FWIW, we do have a new IMBA chapter started up here. Don't know if that could help things or not. Thanks for any info!
    either on city, BLM, or FS. Maybe even state land might be an option up there. It would be ideal to have it on city or state land as the process will be a lot shorter, although I know of a dirt jump park built on an old fs road in oregon too.

Go to the State deptarment of lands website for Idaho and you can apply to lease some state land to put a dirt jump park on. It should be fairly cheap and your club could probably cover the cost.
    http://www2.state.id.us/lands/

I would encourage you to use us as an example of a dirt jump park when you get toegther with different groups. If you contact Jerry at Boise Parks and Rec he might be willing to write you an official letter too as an example of a public dirt jump park.

I can also write you an official letter from SWIMBA if you feel it would help.

I think someone from your club contact me and Harley P. so you should have our contact info if you have more questions.

Chris
    Pres. SWIMBA
    IMBA state rep
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    either on city, BLM, or FS. Maybe even state land might be an option up there. It would be ideal to have it on city or state land as the process will be a lot shorter, although I know of a dirt jump park built on an old fs road in oregon too.

Go to the State deptarment of lands website for Idaho and you can apply to lease some state land to put a dirt jump park on. It should be fairly cheap and your club could probably cover the cost.
    http://www2.state.id.us/lands/

I would encourage you to use us as an example of a dirt jump park when you get toegther with different groups. If you contact Jerry at Boise Parks and Rec he might be willing to write you an official letter too as an example of a public dirt jump park.

I can also write you an official letter from SWIMBA if you feel it would help.

I think someone from your club contact me and Harley P. so you should have our contact info if you have more questions.

Chris
    Pres. SWIMBA
    IMBA state rep
    Thanks for the info and goodwill. This AM I had the opportunity to speak with one of the parks guys up here, and he seemed to hint that the only problem thus far in developing anything like what you've got is organization and official interest from the user group. They already know the benefits of a skatepark here, so a DJ/skills park could realistically be pitched the same way...
    Thanks again!
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

Hoops - Big and Small

April 30th Work Day

Any MTBR forum users down at Willow lane on saturday?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the problem with willow is people who cant ride dirt are building it. Also a lot of river folk play on it during softball. If you want jumps you need to do it the old fashioned way. hidden and secret

sharing the love

Agreed...

Why doesn't SWIMBA (or someone similar) convince the city to buy Ussery and dedicate it as a mountain bike "park". It is 10 times the park that Willow Lane will ever be. I have heard of a few cases where a city will buy a chunk of property that dirt jumpers have already been using, to preserve it for them. It keeps them from hooking on the streets and smoking crack. BTW, what is the word on the "skillz park"? It's sad that there are about a dozen skateparks in this town, but a bike park is just too dangerous or something. Besides, we have all those trails that are soooo fun to ride...
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    May 2004

Ussery is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by zebdi
    Why doesn't SWIMBA (or someone similar) convince the city to buy Ussery and dedicate it as a mountain bike "park". It is 10 times the park that Willow Lane will ever be. I have heard of a few cases where a city will buy a chunk of property that dirt jumpers have already been using, to preserve it for them. It keeps them from hooking on the streets and smoking crack. BTW, what is the word on the "skillz park"? It's sad that there are about a dozen skateparks in this town, but a bike park is just too dangerous or something. Besides, we have all those trails that are soooo fun to ride...
    I can't even come close to doing what Lot of people, and kids are doing there; however, I'm having a blast and getting a rush doing what I AM doing.

Yes I agree, the place is really good and should be adopted/purchased

Wandervans

They have been trying to buy ussery

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    I can't even come close to doing what Lot of people, and kids are doing there; however, I'm having a blast and getting a rush doing what I AM doing.

Yes I agree, the place is really good and should be adopted/purchased
    for a while but the land owner has not been a willing seller.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

Give a thanks to the group who built that...

Thanks to Runner and Vega and all the other riders that built that....and keep it up while everyone else rides it.