This evening...- Mtbr.com

Thread: This evening...

King of the Barneys

This evening...

and a lot better than nothing. Even better than spinning to the trainer. I tried to get up to Shanes, but after I left the service road, it was just too soupy. I love that trail on the SS. So then I backtracked and rode up Rocky Canyon until I ran out of daylight and it started getting pretty solid hardpack snow. Without studs I was a little nervous of laying it over in the dark. Found the batteries dying in both the digital camera and the head lamp. At the end, I pulled on the army face mask and windbreaker, and booked it back to the S.U.B. in darkness, parked at the archery range.

Here's a couple shots, fwiw. The handlebar shot was me pulling out the camera and snapping a shot while riding. Pretty gray and cold.

good enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member

if you can get away in the morning...

i ride at around 9am when everything is still crusty. this morning i was able to get out there for about 1.5 hours... Ressegue to Elephant's back to Military Reserve/Bucks to connector Freeway and down Hulls then home... Let me know if you want to go for a spin one of these mornings. I actually saw 5 other people riding in the morning today... Slackers.. hehe

King of the Barneys

thanks for the offer,

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    i ride at around 9am when everything is still crusty. this morning i was able to get out there for about 1.5 hours... Ressegue to Elephant's back to Military Reserve/Bucks to connector Freeway and down Hulls then home... Let me know if you want to go for a spin one of these mornings. I actually saw 5 other people riding in the morning today... Slackers.. hehe
    I'll check my schedule at work and let you know. Morning sure makes sense while everything's still frozen solid.

Is Elephant's Back the way to get to the end of the culdesac at the end of Crestline? Starts out sandy, then has two stout little hills, and you come out at a circular end of the street?
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member

Sorta...

You can find Elephant's back if you go out the Military Reserve and about 200 yards before the Cemetery (and right after the road turns to dirt), you'll see a singletrack bearing off to your left (and yes, it's a legal trail), it goes up to a weird humpback rock formation (therefore the Elephant's back name) and ends on Horizon Drive although there are other singletrack trails that branch off and follow the ridge. There is a way to connect it with Crestline but would require doing a few hundred yards of road to another trail. I normally start at my house (I live on Ada) go up Ressegue, hit Elephant's back, down the reserve to the new singletrack, then either connect to Shane's or go up the Freeway.
    Let me know when you can ride... I should be unemployed for a few more weeks

BTW- that trail you are describing, the trail that connects to the end of Crestline, is now history. It's all developed (looking like Californication).
    Last edited by flipnidaho; 01-25-2005 at 10:07 PM.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Friday?

Flip - you planning on riding this Friday AM?

mtbr member

Yes...

I'll probably ride every morning until it gets too warm and mucky even in the AM or work finds me (whichever comes first). Let me know if y'all want to meet up. I would also be interested in exploring the Owyhee's on the weekend if anyone is planning a road trip. I could sure use a long ride. My tummy is starting to get in the way of my legs when I pedal....
    G

mtbr member
    BTW- that trail you are describing, the trail that connects to the end of Crestline, is now history. It's all developed (looking like Californication).
    Are you sailing trail 23 has been closed? Or are you talking about some other trail?
    For reference: http://www.ridgetorivers.org/trsystem/cfoothil.html

Justen

mtbr member

No...

I'm talking about the trail that starts at the end of Crestline... If you take Crestline all the way to the end, past the Freeway entrance it used to end in a pseudo-driveway with a singletrack running off to the right. That is now all developed. I'm not sure if that trail officially had a name (I just called it the alternate to riding the pavement to get to the Freeway). You can actually see the development as you start off on Kestrel/Redsands on the right. It looks like someone cut a bunch of motoX trails off the side (that is just a very small part of the development)...
    The trail that connects the Freeway to the M. Reserve is nice, open and dry.

King of the Barneys

Freeway to Reserve

I'm talking about the trail that starts at the end of Crestline... If you take Crestline all the way to the end, past the Freeway entrance it used to end in a pseudo-driveway with a singletrack running off to the right. That is now all developed. I'm not sure if that trail officially had a name (I just called it the alternate to riding the pavement to get to the Freeway). You can actually see the development as you start off on Kestrel/Redsands on the right. It looks like someone cut a bunch of motoX trails off the side (that is just a very small part of the development)...
    was kinda busy around 4pm last night. Saw a guy come down with two brown dogs, then he started hooping it up pretty loud after I lost sight of him, but didn't sound like a biff. Couple bikes followed him.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden that in 7+ years. Probably not since Kestrel appeared. We just always called it the Driveway, cause it starts off heading down someones sandy/gravelly driveway before peeling off to the right. I didn't know it was still there. Even that long time ago, it looked like it was going to fall to development. Surprised it lasted this long. I always figured the owner of the driverway would post it.

Justen