Edmonton to Tahoe Trail 100 & everything in between.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Edmonton to Tahoe Trail 100 & everything in between.

My husband and I are planning to drive from Edmonton, Alberta to the Tahoe Trail 100 race in Northstar, California. I've created a VERY loose agenda of places we can stop and ride/explore on the way there and back. I would love trail recommendations for the places listed below AND/OR alternate suggestions. We are road riders who are new to mountain biking but have a few years experience cyclocross racing and are comfortable with our bike handling. Not looking for overly technical places to ride. We're not afraid of long climbs either!

First draft of the trip. We would drive south through Montana, Idaho and Nevada. On the way home we would travel north through California, Oregon, Washington and BC.

Day 1-Drive 8 hours to Helena
    Day 2/3 - ride in Helena/Bozeman area
    Day 4-Drive 12 hours to Reno
    Day 5/6/7 - ride in Reno/Northstar area
    Day 8 - Tahoe Trail 100
    Day 9 - Recover in Reno/Northstar area
    Day 10-Drive 12 hours to Seattle
    Day 11 - Ride in Seattle
    Day 12 - 4.5 hour drive to Whistler. Afternoon exploring.
    Day 13/14 - Ride in Whistler
    Day 15 - Drive home

Thank you for your help!

mtbr member
    Personally I would try to break up the driving more with a stop to ride in Park City and again in Oregon. On road trips I normally ride in daytime and then do some driving at night to maximize the amount of riding I can get in. Not all people like that approach though.

This will make heads explode but I'd skip Whistler too. You're doing a long trip and skipping over a ton of great stuff. I always suggest people spend as much time as possible at the places they will have the hardest time visiting again. You can always do Whistler as an easier trip from Edmonton some other time. Places like Tahoe, Oregon would be a lot harder to get back to with the limited vacation time most of us have.

In OR places like Ashland, Oakridge, segments of NUT, or Mackenzie River Tr would make for great places to stop and ride. In Tahoe definitely check out TRT and Flume on the east side of the lake. Lots of newer trails on that side to do loops with and shuttles can be set up with Over the Edge or other shops. I'd normally suggest Downieville but it may be more technical than you'd want. There are lots of new trails up by Quincy and in Truckee though which are more xc oriented. You can get maps from Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship. Park City and SLC are has a lifetime of buff xc riding. In Bozeman you'd probably like Bangtail and Emerald Lake (note alternate day closure to bikes on Emerald).

mtbr member
    What Evdog said. And depending on which way you go, consider hitting Sun Valley/Stanley, Idaho.

From Edmonton I would think you'd probably head south and then maybe cut over at Crowsnest in which case you might want to hit Fernie and then drop down to Whitefish, MT. Bozeman would be a bit further east unless you come straight down the front range. If you think you might take 80 across Nevada to Reno and then Tahoe then consider hitting Park City, UT.

Are you camping or hoteling it?
    Last edited by rockman; 03-14-2017 at 07:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Google maps says the fastest way is through Helena/Butte/Twin Falls/Elko?. Sounds like you want to bust out 10 hours of driving and then chill for a couple days to ride, so I suggest Helena and Butte as your halfway point. Maybe stay in a Helena hotel and ride the South Hills for a day, but those trails are "just ok". Head a half hour south along I15 to Muskrat Creek (Trailforks), car camp there, then consider CDT options just south of there both directions from I15. Then try Homestake Pass on I90 and ride CDT either direction. "Homestake South" is the flowiest of all these CDT sections I mentioned, probably quite similar to Tahoe riding with decomposed granite and such.

I live in Big Sky, and the riding is great here and in Bozeman, but a little bit out of your way. Sounds like the trails get better and better and better as you drive North from Tahoe to Oregon, someday I'll win the lottery and stuff.