Are Ebikes Allowed On The (Pocatello) City Creek Trails?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,516

    Are Ebikes Allowed On The (Pocatello) City Creek Trails?

    Saw a rather round lady at the top of Over The Top, and was curious.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

    Thrill Bikers Unite!

  2. #2
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,516
    Apparently, they are allowed.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

    Thrill Bikers Unite!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clintj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    163
    I think you're right. There's a roughly 65yo guy on one I see fairly regularly out there, usually over on The Grove and Black Cairn.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,125
    With free range cattle in some areas, and shared with dirt bikes or horses in others, ebikes won't be hurting anything lol. As long as people are out enjoying nature....
    Would be nice if the cows didn't leave their mess on the trail though.

  5. #5
    I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Reputation: Thustlewhumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    798
    Not only are ebikes allowed in Idaho, they are actively doing wilderness studies for long term impacts.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

  6. #6
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Thustlewhumber View Post
    Not only are ebikes allowed in Idaho, they are actively doing wilderness studies for long term impacts.
    Got links? Because I don't believe that it is that simple. They are allowed where motorcycles are allowed, typically.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

    Thrill Bikers Unite!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clintj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    163
    I just pulled up the ARCGIS map for the region. The majority of the trails around the City Creek area are, in fact, designated non-motorized. Elk Meadows and S Gibson Jack are fair game. That currently rules out Class 1 and 2 electric bikes AFAIK. Learned something today. There's a lot of great mix used trails around Kelly Canyon like Wolverine, too.

    I also saw a link to the study being done for trail impact for e-bikes, but haven't read that yet.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Got links? Because I don't believe that it is that simple. They are allowed where motorcycles are allowed, typically.
    Targhee National Forest treats them as non-motorized. Other NF are following in that approach soon according to some of my contacts.

  9. #9
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,516
    Quote Originally Posted by figofspee View Post
    Targhee National Forest treats them as non-motorized. Other NF are following in that approach soon according to some of my contacts.
    Actually, the other forests in the region are going the other direction.

    https://www.wyofile.com/e-bikes-chal...l-trail-users/
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

    Thrill Bikers Unite!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    245
    Sorry bub, an article from 2016 means nothing in a discussion about where things are going.

  11. #11
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,516
    Quote Originally Posted by figofspee View Post
    Sorry bub, an article from 2016 means nothing in a discussion about where things are going.
    Well, here it does, bikes are not allowed on any single track in Jackson Hole, and wonít be for the foreseeable future. This article helps to explain why that is.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

    Thrill Bikers Unite!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, here it does, bikes are not allowed on any single track in Jackson Hole, and wonít be for the foreseeable future. This article helps to explain why that is.
    From the very article you posted
    "E-bikes and motorcycles are permitted on Munger Mountain July 1 through Sept. 9 and on many other trails throughout the forest."

    Munger mountain is singletrack, is it not?

    Still, nothing in the article promises they will be banned indefinately on the certain trails they are 'banned' from, and an article from 2016 is a relic in this discussion. The revolution won't be initially published because there would be outcry from the dwindling supply of backwoods federal agencies who want as many restrictions as possible.

    Time works the same way in Jackson hole as other parts of the country.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clintj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    163
    Not to beat a dead horse, but last time I parked at the CC lower lot (couple of weeks ago) there's a fairly large "no motorized vehicles" sign.

    This discussion raises a question for me. Targhee has small "no e-bike" markers on their XC trails. Do they set policy for themselves, or are they controlled by the land manager, i.e. NFS?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,516
    Quote Originally Posted by figofspee View Post
    From the very article you posted
    "E-bikes and motorcycles are permitted on Munger Mountain July 1 through Sept. 9 and on many other trails throughout the forest."

    Munger mountain is singletrack, is it not?

    Still, nothing in the article promises they will be banned indefinately on the certain trails they are 'banned' from, and an article from 2016 is a relic in this discussion. The revolution won't be initially published because there would be outcry from the dwindling supply of backwoods federal agencies who want as many restrictions as possible.

    Time works the same way in Jackson hole as other parts of the country.
    Yup, you found the anomaly...but it is because e-bikes are considered motor vehicles here.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

    Thrill Bikers Unite!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by clintj View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, but last time I parked at the CC lower lot (couple of weeks ago) there's a fairly large "no motorized vehicles" sign.

    This discussion raises a question for me. Targhee has small "no e-bike" markers on their XC trails. Do they set policy for themselves, or are they controlled by the land manager, i.e. NFS?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    If by Tarhee you mean Grand Targhee, they have a permit that determines what they can and cannot allow. GT bases their ban on ebikes as a written rule thus they have no choice but to enforce the ban. Federal law currently bans ebikes on paper on non-motorized so that only gets more rigid as it is passed down to the concessions. So, we end up with a situation where places like GT are enforcing the ban where TNF is not. The Federal law that bans ebikes on nonmotorized trails is in the process of being rewritten and places like GT are the last on the information food chain. They do, however have a built in resistance to ebikes because they want everyone buying a lift pass.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Yup, you found the anomaly...but it is because e-bikes are considered motor vehicles here.
    Anomaly? The article you posted said that MANY trails are open to ebikes. You should read your articles and the posts others make quoting your articles. You are the one who brought it up and now you don't stand by it?

    I can't say that I blame you though, I wouldn't want to stand by that article either. Here is a two paragraph quote:

    "E-bikes and motorcycles are permitted on Munger Mountain July 1 through Sept. 9 and on many other trails throughout the forest.

    The prohibition of e-bikes and other motorized vehicles in some areas is primarily a safety issue. Some electric bikes can go up to 45 mph ó dangerous speeds when trails are also used by hikers, traditional mountain bikers and horseback riders."

    So the primary reason ebikes are banned is because they are a danger to other users, but they are allowed during typically the busiest season, and banned in the offseasons. Makes sense to Nobody if you ask me. I could go on, but you get the drift. Articles like this are a good example why we need education on what is and isn't legal government overreach.

    You say that "ebikes are considered motorized here" and I believed you until I looked it up. Unless you were referring to ebikes in your backyard, you are at best partially correct. The Town of Jackson classifies ebikes as bicycles according to the CPSC which says that all ebikes under 750 watts are bikes and enforced as such on all public bicycling facilities.
    If you were referring to Federal Lands in Jackson area you again are partially correct as TNF is practically in Jackson Hole. You have yet to provide evidence of other Federal agencies actively enforcing the ban, and as such it my assumption that they passively allowed.

  17. #17
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,516
    Ok, Pollyanna.
    What you donít realize is that I (and many others) approve of e-bikes on motorized trails...just NOT on non-motorized trails.
    Whether you know it or not, your attitude IS the problem that will get bikes banned in more places.
    You really donít have a clue of what you are talking about in this area.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

    Thrill Bikers Unite!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ok, Pollyanna.
    What you donít realize is that I (and many others) approve of e-bikes on motorized trails...just NOT on non-motorized trails.
    Whether you know it or not, your attitude IS the problem that will get bikes banned in more places.
    You really donít have a clue of what you are talking about in this area.
    Thats cool, you gotta defend supporting the ban on ebikes at 1159 on june 30th then supporting their permitted usage a minute later. That is a tough job and I admire your willingness to take it on.

  19. #19
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,516
    I support a ban on e-bikes on non motorized trails, Iíll agree with you on that.
    I actually want one for the hundreds of miles of motorized trails, just not until they are ~34 pounds, and can go 100 miles on a charge.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

    Thrill Bikers Unite!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I support a ban on e-bikes on non motorized trails, Iíll agree with you on that.
    I actually want one for the hundreds of miles of motorized trails, just not until they are ~34 pounds, and can go 100 miles on a charge.
    Jackson holers are paving the way for Federal change;
    "With the state on board, state and national parks may be next. Collins said officials from both seem interested in approving policies to allow e-bikes in places where regular bikes are allowed, such as the multiuse pathway in Grand Teton National Park."

    https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...4eb080152.html

  21. #21
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,516
    Still illegal on almost all FS single track in the JH area, and will be for the foreseeable future. This latest legislation pretty much only affects paved pathway usage here.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

    Thrill Bikers Unite!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    245
    The new state law does apply to single track as does the Idaho law, but the feds still ban eBikes because they classify them as a motor vehicle. If the folks in Wyoming succeed at changing the Federal classification, then by by single track ban. Either way, it is nice to see rideit is alone in his toxic attitude in Wyoming.

  23. #23
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,125
    How are trail conditions down there right now?
    Headed into town for work next week, deciding if I'll bring the bike down or not.

  24. #24
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,516
    Quote Originally Posted by figofspee View Post
    The new state law does apply to single track as does the Idaho law, but the feds still ban eBikes because they classify them as a motor vehicle. If the folks in Wyoming succeed at changing the Federal classification, then by by single track ban. Either way, it is nice to see rideit is alone in his toxic attitude in Wyoming.
    You have no reading comprehension skills...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

    Thrill Bikers Unite!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clintj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    How are trail conditions down there right now?
    Headed into town for work next week, deciding if I'll bring the bike down or not.
    Last report I heard from East Fork Bikes a couple days ago was it's still muddy and snowy. It just rained again yesterday, too.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,125
    Quote Originally Posted by clintj View Post
    Last report I heard from East Fork Bikes a couple days ago was it's still muddy and snowy. It just rained again yesterday, too.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 187
    Last Post: 11-03-2018, 05:04 AM
  2. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-18-2018, 08:24 AM
  3. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-07-2017, 11:04 AM
  4. Pocatello rides other than City Creek
    By panchosdad in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-28-2014, 04:35 PM
  5. FELL (in love) at city creek pocatello
    By ilmfat in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Members who have read this thread: 34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.