Eastside Questions (Boise)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Eastside Questions (Boise)

I rode Eastside yesterday for the first time since the reroute became mandatory. Thanks to all on this board and beyond who took part it the trail efforts (building and maintaining). Things are looking good up there.

Q1. When ES crosses the Sinker Creek Trail one can take a left and go up SC to the old ES trail creek crossing and climbout? Does the SC trail end there now?

Q2. When the ES trail meets the Stackrock trail the sign seems to indicate to take a right to continue on ES. To me this is confusing as my goal was to ride back on the Stackrock trail and ride up Entrance Exam (or Exit Exam in this case) to my car. Does ES continue on to the top of Sweet Connie? or what?

Q3. I found a small blue towel (like a golf towel with the small rivet in one corner) on the ES trail right after the DB connector junction. Anyone want to claim it?

Q4. I hear there are new maps of the trails up there, including the new stuff at Bogus. Where do I get one?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Mark

May 2007

... and if we just ... Here you go

Quote Originally Posted by discfor1
    I rode Eastside yesterday for the first time since the reroute became mandatory. ????? Thanks to all on this board and beyond who took part it the trail efforts (building and maintaining). Things are looking good up there.

Q1. When ES crosses the Sinker Creek Trail one can take a left and go up SC to the old ES trail creek crossing and climbout? Does the SC trail end there now? [I]You can go the old way but it is not part of the trail system. [/I]Q2. When the ES trail meets the Stackrock trail the sign seems to indicate to take a right to continue on ES. To me this is confusing as my goal was to ride back on the Stackrock trail and ride up Entrance Exam (or Exit Exam in this case) to my car. Does ES continue on to the top of Sweet Connie? or what? [I]It goes to Sweet Connie. The reason is there will be a trail going to Bogus Rd to a new parking with toilet for Al lot to be built next spring.When you reach Sweet Connie you can head north down Mr Big and end up in Sinker Creek.[/I]Q3. I found a small blue towel (like a golf towel with the small rivet in one corner) on the ES trail right after the DB connector junction. Anyone want to claim it?

Q4. I hear there are new maps of the trails up there, including the new stuff at Bogus. Where do I get one? [I]REI has them for sure. All the bike shops should.[/I]Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Mark
    [I]If you realy appriciate the work join SWIMBA, We need the number to get grants to build more trails.[/I]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by discfor1

Q4. I hear there are new maps of the trails up there, including the new stuff at Bogus. Where do I get one?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Mark
    www.ridgetorivers.org

click on trail map and then bogus basin. there's your map fo free.

take note...entrance exam and the road out to eastside (end) at sweet connie and where Mr. Big (Senor Grande) start are not on this map....but you can figure it out.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Q1. When ES crosses the Sinker Creek Trail one can take a left and go up SC to the old ES trail creek crossing and climbout? Does the SC trail end there now?

Sinker Creek Trail ends where it meets Eastside. They left in you are talking about takes you onto private property. It is also not maintained. If you go that way, be prepared to a) tresspass, and b) bushwack.

Q2. When the ES trail meets the Stackrock trail the sign seems to indicate to take a right to continue on ES. To me this is confusing as my goal was to ride back on the Stackrock trail and ride up Entrance Exam (or Exit Exam in this case) to my car. Does ES continue on to the top of Sweet Connie? or what?

If you take a right, you end up on private property. As an FYI, Entrance Exam is on private property, as is most of the "Stack Rock Trail" that you take to it. ES goes right over to Mr. Big, as posted by Old Man. As of this spring ES will be extended and continue to a new parking lot

Q3. I found a small blue towel (like a golf towel with the small rivet in one corner) on the ES trail right after the DB connector junction. Anyone want to claim it?

Not my towel.

REI should have them, as well any of the bike shops.

Lastly, why doesn't anyone ride Sinker (the first right off of Eastside)?
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

sinker=first right after on EastSide

Is that the right after the scenic overlook where that other trail comes down from Bogus Road? I am usually in a group that I am not willing to subject to any 'exploring', but have been meening to go check it out. Do you recommend it?, like it more, same, less for descending? Give us your knowledge Al.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Lastly, why doesn't anyone ride Sinker (the first right off of Eastside)?
    i do. and it's kinda cool that it doesn't get ridden

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    You mean the trail that shall not be mentioned?

More twists and turns. A couple dips. A lil' more climbing. Amount of descending is about the same....if not more. Definitely different. Definitely less traveled and longer.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    You mean the trail that shall not be mentioned?

More twists and turns. A couple dips. A lil' more climbing. Amount of descending is about the same....if not more. Definitely different. Definitely less traveled and longer.
    Longer, twistier, dippier, and less maintained is good.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Positive rant

And if you show up during one of the numerous trail building days, we will gladly show you the reroutes and some of the lesser used trails. Maybe even something off the radar screen.

If nothing else pay your SWIMBA dues and maybe something extra designated to the trails committee.

Help us help you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Couldn't agree more

Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    And if you show up during one of the numerous trail building days, we will gladly show you the reroutes and some of the lesser used trails. Maybe even something off the radar screen.

If nothing else pay your SWIMBA dues and maybe something extra designated to the trails committee.

Help us help you!
    I do more trail building than all but probably Al and Meeker, just on different projects than most take part in. Although I have been wanting to cross over and see if I can't recruit some of you guys for gravity trail building in the future.

And please, anybody who comes here should seriously consider a SWIMBA membership. We work so hard to get trails built and grants granted. If anything, having more numbers gives us more credibility and influence. And that is the least you can offer by being a member, it can go up exponentially if you so desire

mtbr member
    That would be my towel. I crash right there on Sunday and lost it. I will be at CB tonight. Just throw it in the blue ranger pickup with the Wolfpack Soccer decals on the back window. Thanks
    You may pass me on the uphill, but on the downhill, my gravity kicks in!

mtbr member

Sinker Creek Trail or what?

"Lastly, why doesn't anyone ride Sinker (the first right off of Eastside)?[/QUOTE]"

Because I can not bring myself to call it anything but "Owen's"... Sinker Creek Trail follows the Creek where East Side crosses the water.

Rode East Side down Sinker to Mr. Big last night and up Crash to Stump to (Mr. Big) to Connie's Tree to Stack Rock Road back to Exam and the Truck. Now I know just how out of shape I am...ouch

Mighty fine shape after the big rain. All the needles are washed off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley
    Because I can not bring myself to call it anything but "Owen's"... Sinker Creek Trail follows the Creek where East Side crosses the water.
    I take it your back in town?

The new names confuse me too. I know the trails by their old names, and the new names don;t mean much. I guess with time I'll assimilate.

Did you notice that the trail formerly known as "Super Schnauzer" has been closed? It's kind of a bummer, as I prefered that route.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Members who have read this thread: 0