east coast xc'r in bozeman looking for good local trails...- Mtbr.com
    k2x
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

east coast xc'r in bozeman looking for good local trails...

I know this is short notice, but I'm in Bozeman visiting a friend and we're looking for some good xc trails. Can anyone help us out?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

well, this is short notice

If it stays hot, get an early start and go up Hyalite creek to Hyalite Lake. Then go higher into the bowl above the lake. Then if you stay strong ride up to the ridge, ditch your bike, and scramble up Hyalite Peak. Technical alpine trail.

If it cools off, head south into South Cottonwood, ride back 10 or 12 miles, then turn around and ride out. Excellent trail.

Scenery, instant style. Go past Bridger Bowl to Sietz Rd. Trailhead a couple miles to the west. Ride the Shafthouse Trail. On the way up when you cross the 3rd logging road, turn left and ride over to Fairy Lake Road. Up the road 2 more miles is the Shafthouse intersection. Take it and have a blast. You will return back to your car in about 3 hrs.

Pick up a map from someone!

Enjoy! Report back here with your findings!

jones'in
    You should also check out the Bangtail Divide trail. There a number of different ways to ride this trail. My favorite is to start from Brackett Creek (about 3 miles past Bridger Bowl and on the right). Ride the trail for about 7 miles, you'll pop out in a little saddle where 3 roads meet. You can ride down Olson Creek road here and you'll pop back out on Bridger Canyon road. If you've got a couple of hours left, you can keep going by following Olson Creek road for a couple hundred yards and picking up the second half of the trail. Another 14 or 15 miles (of gorgeous views and open meadows) and you'll pop out at Stone Creek. Again, Stone Creek leads back out to Bridger Canyon road.

The whole trail is well marked (with mile markers along the way). If you stop into one of the local bike shops (I recommend either The RoundHouse or Summit), they can show you the whole route on a map.

Me and a couple of buddies are riding South Cottonwood starting early in the morning. We're shuttling it, starting at the top of History Rock trail and riding out.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

k2x
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Its on!!

Looks like we settled on a ride. South Cottonwood it is. We are going to try to get out early and ride up and over to History rock and back down. We rented a couple full suspension Cannondales from RoundHouse that hopefully are up for the challenge. I just hope my lungs hold out. I can't say I'm looking forward to the 6 mile accent but I am surely looking forward to riding it back down. Thanks guys for your posts. If you are ever are out my way and are looking to ride...check out www.cycle-cny.com.

Members who have read this thread: 0