Does your auto or home insurance cover bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Does your auto or home insurance cover bike?

I'm looking for new insurance carriers for my new truck, house and mountain bike.

Does your auto insurance cover bikes or gear getting ripped off?

Reason I ask is cuz my biking gear was ripped off last year from inside my truck (window smashed), and my auto insurer would not cover it because it was not a permanent part of the car ala steering wheel. So obviously I'm looking for a carrier who will cover my bike should someone walk away with it from the vehicle (even if it's locked).

Coincidentally, does your home owner's insurance cover you if your bike is stolen from the garage? I ask because my friend's insurer said they would not cover the bike if stolen from the garage, only if it was stolen from inside the house.

Who do you use?

just a man

Good question!

I think some insurance co's offer a bike rider/policy for pretty nominal annual cost. I think GetLost has one with his carrier....I was thinking the same thing recently and am going to contact my carrier (I have both my homeowner's and auto through the same co).

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    I'm looking for new insurance carriers for my new truck, house and mountain bike.

Does your auto insurance cover bikes or gear getting ripped off?

Reason I ask is cuz my biking gear was ripped off last year from inside my truck (window smashed), and my auto insurer would not cover it because it was not a permanent part of the car ala steering wheel. So obviously I'm looking for a carrier who will cover my bike should someone walk away with it from the vehicle (even if it's locked).

Coincidentally, does your home owner's insurance cover you if your bike is stolen from the garage? I ask because my friend's insurer said they would not cover the bike if stolen from the garage, only if it was stolen from inside the house.

Who do you use?
    My agent told me today that my bikes are covered under the personal property provisions of my homeowner's policy, subject only to the deductible. I called because I was concerned some cell-talking doof would rear-end my rig and total out my bike(s) on the back.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Rocks Rock
    State Farm covered my bike when it was stolen from the back of my rig parked in my driveway. It could have been downtown thou it's covered anywhere. Had everything locked loaded and ready to go. Went out Sat. morning to head out for the Owyhees and found my bike rack mangled and the bike gone. I have replacement value insurance. So they covered more than I paid for the bike (it was on sale when I bought it) also the cost of all the upgrades and the tool pouch plus tools. Minus the $500 deductable of course, which offset the on sale price of the bike. So all said and done I ended up with a $1000 better bike for about $500 out of my pocket.
    Am I being kind?

Don't worry, be happy!
    if you have expensive bikes, you might want to look at a rider. Sports equiptment is subject to limitations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Most of the larger companies will cover the bike under your Homeowners policy as a theft peril. If it is stolen off of the bike rack while on your car, from your garage or your front porch I would suspect it would be covered. Obviously this depends on your company, the policy you have with them etc… Call your agent to verify coverage’s and what to expect in the event of as loss and to make sure you have enough contents coverage as well. I also recommend that you document the existence and value of your bikes with receipts, pictures etc... This makes it a much easier claims process in the event of a loss. All losses, for the most part, are subject to the deductible as well. Also, you may want to check to see how your company will value the loss... depreciate it, pay replacement cost etc. Just my $.02.

mtbr member
    Always be careful how much you claim on homeowners insurance. They get back at you when you buy/sell your house. I don't have personal experience on that though. I do however wish I could get insurance on such things not attached to homeowners. The same goes for tools and other things that would go on a rider.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Two years ago my wife and I were headed to White Knob and my whole rack flew off my truck. Our home owners coverd both bikes but not the rack. Liberty Mutual has been pretty good to us, but I guess we have been paying them for a long time with no claims.

mtbr member
    The agent told me that mine is covered under home owner's insurance, but subject to the deductable which I have quite high. My bike, while heavily invested in, is not worth more than my deductable.

mtbr member
    a friend of mine lives in the east end, just off warm springs (straughan to be specific).

this past saturday (3/31), his bike, helmet, and his wife's seat/seatpost were stolen from their garage.

he left the key in the garage door. someone opened up the garage door and took the bikes, etc. weird that they just took the seat/seatpost off the brand new (albeit beginner bike). he's not sure if anything else was taken. sorta a cluttered garage.

his bike is a specialized stumpjumper. black. he's got a funky riser stem.

they are weighing their options. with their deductable, etc.

guess i need to start closing my garage door when i'm working around the yard. (alley way garage, and i'm on a corner lot.

Members who have read this thread: 1