Does it seem like you get winded a bit easier when it's really cold?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Does it seem like you get winded a bit easier when it's really cold?

Like climbing. I seem to feel it a lot more. I guess because the lungs have the added duty of warming the air you breath in?
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

dirt enthusiast
    yep. but if you breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth, your nose warms the air for you and filters as well. so i've heard, been told, blah blah blah. its a hell of a lot harder when you're grunting up a hill. i usually end up out of breathe either way
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Methinks your observation is accurate. Take this internet o-pi for what its worth but I believe your lungs, like other parts or your body, react to the cold by restricting a bit...making it a bit harder to breath at max capacity.

It always seems to be "cold" when I climb...and I am well south of you.

Hi!!!
    On a recent trail run at Military Reserve, my chest felt like it hadn't opened up yet and I was struggling until I came down from Eagle Ridge and then I was fine.

For me, it always takes quite some time to get the lungs going regardless of weather, but yeah the cold does make it a bit tougher for me.

just a man

Calorie blow-out

Remember last December on that freeze ride ep, you, me, flip, tc, and nels did?. I was dying coming up 8th st and EP was right: warming that air up takes a lot out of the body. But it's a way better (and healthier) fat blaster than doing a crank and laxatives speedball, I assure you.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Power output decreases with decreases in muscle temperature. It has something to do with lower temperatures decreasing muscle contraction frequency. (Hence the reason you lose dexterity with cold fingers.) Temperature also affects ATP processes. On that note... as Mr. Parker and the Piggy pointed out, the body spends a lot of energy on heat regulation...which can lead to calorie deficeits while riding...which is related to the ATP thing.

Coldest ride to date...13F. 30F seems like a heat wave to me. I only have to wear a jacket and a wicking layer. My toes, though, still freeze at 30.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    uhhh, sorry if that's your other alternative!

roar
    This thread is fun. It reminds me of the first winter ride I did, which was last year. Gary assured me it would be great fun (which it was) but it took some convincing. So off we go... me, Gary, and his friend Geoff. I would find out later who Geoff was online. Hehe. I have learned alot about riding in the cold since then and we go out nearly every day in the winter. The temperature doesn't matter. In fact the colder the better. That way you can get a longer ride in without worrying about the frozen mud turning into mud soup. There are 2 things I will not ride without when it is freezing 1) a neck gator- pull this up over nose and chin and it will warm the air up on the inhale and really save you from windburn on the downhill. 2) chemical toe warmers- yes I am a pansy and I dont care how many times I have to go to REI to buy more. They are totally worth it. I cant stand cold feet... so miserable.

So here's to a fun winter of cold, snowy rides. See you all out there!
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

Hi!!!

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbarbie
    2) chemical toe warmers- yes I am a pansy and I dont care how many times I have to go to REI to buy more. They are totally worth it.
    Have you guys checked into the prices of these at Costco? I know the Nampa one sells 'em by the bushels, but I don't know their cost.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I think Craig got a bunch at Costco last year so ask him. I still have about 5 or so left I bought from Garts/Sports Authority, price was decent

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    I think Craig got a bunch at Costco last year so ask him. I still have about 5 or so left I bought from Garts/Sports Authority, price was decent
    98 is right - I got a big box from Costco (the hand warmers though, not the toe waremers) for like $16-$18, of which I still have like 50 left. In about a week I plan on starting to use them. The cool thing is that when I wear my AXO clip-in shoes there's some meshlike ventilation on the toes, which keeps the warmers going. They work best when exposed to the cold air.

Looking forward to my first snowride!

Members who have read this thread: 0