Does Nampa exist?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Does Nampa exist?

Moving to the Nampa area from the northeast. I'll need to live 15 minutes from the hospital in Nampa, so I'm a bit limited in terms of geography. I'd love to find a trail system (even if it's mediocre) fairly close to my house, ie, 10 minutes or so. Is there an area around Nampa that would work for this? From reading the forums it sounds like there's a grundle of great riding east of Boise, but those would be too far away for a spontaneous weekday ride...would have to save that for the weekend. But a quick and close ride in the Nampa area sure would lift my spirits and attitude about the move.

Does a decent trail exist in or near Nampa? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nmadse1
    Moving to the Nampa area from the northeast. I'll need to live 15 minutes from the hospital in Nampa, so I'm a bit limited in terms of geography. I'd love to find a trail system (even if it's mediocre) fairly close to my house, ie, 10 minutes or so. Is there an area around Nampa that would work for this? From reading the forums it sounds like there's a grundle of great riding east of Boise, but those would be too far away for a spontaneous weekday ride...would have to save that for the weekend. But a quick and close ride in the Nampa area sure would lift my spirits and attitude about the move.

Does a decent trail exist in or near Nampa? Thanks!
    Not to my knowledge, Eagle and Boise are about 20 miles from Garrity. South of Nampa is the Wilson Creek trail system, which is about as far as going towards Boise although traffic is nonexistent for the most part. Wilson is a good winter/wet system as the sandy trails are known to dry sooner than Boise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Which hospital? Mercy Medical (the original on 12th ave) or Mercy North (right off of I-84)? If Mercy North, you can easily live in the Meridian/West Boise area and still be 15 min to the hospital and ~20 minutes to the foothills trails.

If you need to live 15 min from Mercy on 12th, the options are pretty scarce and mostly limited to Wilson Creek just south of the Snake River. Wilson would be a 20-25 min drive from Mercy Medical.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Nampa does not exist. It is a fictional paradise where the ultra-religious, the right wing gun toting nutjobs, the gang bangers, meth-addled tweakers, BJC Bronco fans, and the Tea Baggers exist in peace and harmony. All in rapturous bliss behind the Zion Curtain.

Some of my favorite Nampa, Idaho scenes. All hail the 2C.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. "Does Nampa exist" has to be THE best topic line I've seen on this forum this year.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does Nampa exist?-nampa-2.jpg  

Does Nampa exist?-nampa-4.jpg  

Does Nampa exist?-nampa-8.jpg  

Does Nampa exist?-nampa-6.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images     

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Keep you soap on a rope. That's all I'm sayin.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

What

"Does Nampa exist?" Hell yes man! Some of the greatest trail builders were spawned in Nampa. They do however have issues with grading. Here is buffy the grader. Oh, he is going to kill me for this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does Nampa exist?-buffing.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    "Does Nampa exist?" Hell yes man! Some of the greatest trail builders were spawned in Nampa. They do however have issues with grading. Here is buffy the grader. Oh, he is going to kill me for this one.

So we have great trail builders, just no trails...............sigh.
    Last edited by Fred Smedley; 12-08-2010 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey, I bought my first real mountain bike at Cafferty's in Nampa. I did a lot of road rides that year.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    You need a mountain bike to road bike out there. I think they do their "chip seal" with 1" gravel and cow manure.

aaarrrggghh!
    Totally rad response to dude OP. Glad someone took care of this real proper like.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Nampa does not exist. It is a fictional paradise where the ultra-religious, the right wing gun toting nutjobs, the gang bangers, meth-addled tweakers, BJC Bronco fans, and the Tea Baggers exist in peace and harmony. All in rapturous bliss behind the Zion Curtain
    Who are you calling a Bronco fan? Now you're starting to get insulting.

I live about a mile from Mercy (on 12'th ave) and there's not much around here for mountain biking. It's about equal distance to either the trails in the Boise foothill one way or to the trails in the Owyhee mountains the other way. Each is about 30 minutes away. For quick, short, easy rides if the weather looks bad I go a few miles south to Pickles Butte and ride around a bit. There's not much there but you can make it a workout if you try. Other than that it's pretty much paved flat roads. The ride around Lake Lowell is kind of nice with a lot of wildlife along the south edge.

Barneys Unite!
    Meeker's from Nampa? That explains a LOT. :^)

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    The sad thing is that the vast majority of this valley is populated with the ultra-religious, the right wing gun toting nutjobs, the gang bangers, meth-addled tweakers, BJC Bronco fans, and the Tea Baggers. Not to mention those North End/East End/Foothills livin' lefty mountain bikers. They are the worst.

As for Nampa, having worked out there for a couple of years I can "ditto" the lack of trails for riding in the 2C. But, it does have decent road riding opportunities if you want to get your two wheels on. And if you're into that sort of self-flaggelation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeDrinkable
    Hey, I bought my first real mountain bike at Cafferty's in Nampa. I did a lot of road rides that year.
    Wow, yeah Cafferty's. Got my first real 'road' bike there in 1980. Still ride it some.
    '08 Jamis Dakota 29er
    '92 Hardrock Commuter

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I heard the toenail fungus "situation" has been spinning out of control in Namps. Earthpigs knows.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I heard the toenail fungus "situation" has been spinning out of control in Namps. Earthpigs knows.
    I'm sure your sister would prefer you leaving her out of this thread!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    The sad thing is that the vast majority of this valley is populated with the ultra-religious, the right wing...Not to mention those North End/East End/Foothills livin' lefty mountain bikers. They are the worst.

Please clarify. You talk about the "right wing" extremists, then you call the same people "lefty". Is "lefty" a political title or are you referring to Cannondale forks? Important distinction. Thanks.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Please clarify. You talk about the "right wing" extremists, then you call the same people "lefty". Is "lefty" a political title or are you referring to Cannondale forks? Important distinction. Thanks.
    Dunno. I'm a left wing fascist. Like if Mao Tse Tung made the nasty with Ralph Nader. Just call me "Hot Mao Nader Tung."

And Twisted, you know that picture can't be from Canyon County - there's not enough toes on that thar foot.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Yeah but those homies sure can dance

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Moving to the Nampa area from the northeast.
    Condolences on the move to Nampa, but welcome to the Gem State.

mtbr member
    I'm in Kuna (east border of south nampa) There is a little public land I do early season training. Maybe same as Pickle's butte. There are a few desert public land areas I'd love to dig trail on. Other than that, look north and east.

All in all, it isn't a bad place to bike commute. Watch out for the 3/4ton and above trucks and beamers and you'll be fine. Rural roads are typically the best.

At least you aren't in Caldwell!
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Members who have read this thread: 0