Does this happen to anyone else???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. Does this happen to anyone else???

So i've been riding when I can for about a hour at a time. I usually eat about 30 min - 1 hour before the ride to get some energy. When riding on the road I feel fine, but once I transverse onto the trails and they get more bumpy then my stomach starts to feel queasy. I have that nauseous feeling like I"m going to throw up (but never do) so I usually just stop and drink some water, then continue.

I ride a diamondback response, but when I'm downhilling or freeriding I have no problem with this.

So my question is does anybody have this same feeling when riding? Anything I can do to prevent/minimize it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mtbr member

Digestion

The food that you eat is obsorbed at different rates depending on it's make up. Carbs are obsorbed and digested more quickly than proteins which is faster than fat. When you consume food your body will tyically increase the blood flow to the GI and other organs to facilitate digestion. When you exercise the body does the exact same thing but in the other direction. Increase activity level will shunt the blood from the gut and transfer it to the working muscles. Because of this your body puts digestion on the back burner because your muscles need the blood. Your gut is likely still full of food that it is attempting to digest but cannot do to the bodys other needs. Sometimes this will cause indigestion, nausea, cramping etc. This is the prime reason for the old "wives tale" that is partially true that you shouldn't swim after eating a meal. The truth is in the fact that any exercise after eating has the potential to cause cramping. The more demanding the exercise, the more blood flow has to go to the working muscles. Riding around town will likely be a lot easier than climbing Hard Guy for your gut due to intensity.

So, if you will be riding you may have to experiment with your pre ride food intake. Smaller meals are handled easier than big meals. If you eat a larger meal make sure to give up to a couple of hours for it to settle. Carbs and light proteins are typically handled more easily immediately prior to exercise than fatty foods.

A bar, piece of fruit, cup of yogurt etc. may be all that you need within an hour or less of riding. If I am going to be going on a longer ride I typically attempt to take some protein with my pre ride snack as it is obsorbed more slowly and will give a longer energy release rather than simple sugars which typically spike your blood sugar levels.
    BoiseBoy

Members who have read this thread: 0