Dispersed/Primitive camping in West Yellowstone and Near Bozeman- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Dispersed/Primitive camping in West Yellowstone and Near Bozeman

Hi there. Going to be on a road trip and will be stoping to ride in those two areas. In west yellowstone we are going to ride Mile Creek to Sheep Creek. Looking for a place in the general vicinity with some nice dispersed camping.

Same goes for Bozeman. Not sure what we are going to ride around there. Maybe Bangtail divide, or Curly Lake Highline.... So once again, a nice spot with free camping.

We will be in a car so it can't be down to rough a dirt road.

Thanks in advance

Nate.
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you're going to ride Mile to Sheep there's good camping at either trailhead. I like the Sheep Cr. better. There's also some good camping along the road to the Targhee creek trailhead, which makes a good site if you're riding Mile (or Reynolds Pass) to Targhee Pass.

Personally I think the Reynolds Pass to Targhee Pass CDT ride is the real gem of the area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thank you so much! Can that ride you mentioned be done as a loop? We will only have one car so I am keeping my rides to out and backs or loops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's about 20 miles back on the road, so tough to loop. You could hitchhike back, both trail heads are on the highway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I slept in the back of my truck at sheep creek. there is enough room to camp at the trailhead.

mtbr member
    There is dispersed camping along the dirt road leading to the Curly Lake trailhead. Just look off to your right a mile or so after passing the village of Mammoth. I haven't ridden that loop in a few years as I heard it got pretty well hammered by motos. I wouldn't let that deter you though. It's worth doing even if there's more hike-a-bike than there used to be.

For Bangtail Divide, I would suggest the USFS campground on the top of Battle Ridge - about 2 miles uphill of the northern trailhead for that ride.

I would also suggest camping for a couple days at Fairy Lake and ride the Shafthouse Trail as a loop from camp. Then swim in the lake and hike up to Sacajawea or some other peak. It's a 7-mile dirt road with lots of washboard but cars can get up there without much trouble.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    what dir-T said AND...lots off good riding and camping up hyalite canyon too (bozeman). the main road is paved, turn offs are all dirt by typically in pretty good shape where a car would be no issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You guys are so awesome! Thanks for all the help! If anyone wants to join us for a ride in those area's we will have an extra bike rack on the car, and I will provide beer for after.

Cheers
    Nate

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    These guys covered everything, but my 2cents:

There's free sites in Hyalite too (before Hyalite Creek TH on Right, bear aware signs at pull out)

At Curly I usually start the ride with the hike a bike from Curly Lake TH (rather than Curly Creek which does include a fun short downhill to the lake) and like to camp on downhill side of the road (from the CL TH) in a small clearing, or if you are doing the traditional book "loop" drive up to Lost Cabin pull off, that's where the road gets roughest for passenger rig anyways and there's dispersed camping there too.

Lost Cabin is a fun ride as well re: Curly camping (option 2) chunky trail and beautiful lake

I think Sheep TH would make for better camping (further from road) than Mile, but if you do ride CDT from Targhee Pass which is SWEET too there's car camping near TH / fence (off of the pass uphill 1/4 mile)

My favorate places to camp (with the family) when riding Henry's/Lionhead area are S Side of Hebgen (pay and free sites) or Cliff/Wade Lakes which is a pay campground but super scenic lake and not terribly far from Sheep...