Dan Meeker delivering my new frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dan Meeker delivering my new frame

It is indeed a small world.

I call a bike shop in Jackson to buy a frame. While emailing a friend who used to work with my brother in McCall (same friend is married to my former coworker in Boise) I learn that the bike shop owner used to live in McCall, too, and visits Boise a lot (he lived here for 15 years). And of course the bike shop owner used to live down the road from my friend.

Then I find out Dan Meeker is a customer of the Jackson Hole guy, and is buying a new Ellsworth frame (or Mavic wheels?), and is making a trip to the area today or tomorrow, and kindly agreed to bring back my frame! I've met Dan just once on a ride on Eastside this summer; this says a lot about how nice of a guy he is.

Here's what he's bringing back for me: http://ibiscycles.com/mountain/

edit: As it turns out, Dan was unable to pick it up due to logistics. At least he offered (he offered to pick it up in his next trip a few weeks from now, but I'd kinda like to have it now, ya know?!).
    Last edited by danK; 10-17-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Hoops - Big and Small
    So does this mean you owe Dmeek one and will be helping out with trail maint in the spring?

Or better yet your going to organize a trail crew of hotties or brides to be because as we all now you have a following.

mtbr member

gringo-fied facsimiles
    why this bike???
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator
    why this bike???
    wild guess would be that it's a DW Link bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator
    why this bike???
    Like flipinidaho wrote, it's a DW Link bike. I have a MKIII DW Link bike in the stable and it's the best design I've ever owned. For my needs and ability it's a better design than my Intense Spider, 5.5, Santa Cruz Superlight and Horst'd Tracer. So between the single pivots, chainstay Horst bikes and VPP's, DW is my favorite. But more importantly...
    I'm a long-time Ibis fan. Owned several including a mid-90's Mojo hardtail and a Silk Ti. My college puppy was named Ibis. Ibis the company sent her a gift basket which included a dog collar made of recycled shraeder-valved tubes; I believe they did that back in the day.
    And the customer service is outstanding.

Aug 2004
    Dayum!!!

Nice!!!

mtbr member
    i really like that light blue.

danK. what color did you get? raw carbon? i've seen the orange paint - sweet! i want to see this bike in person.

long time ibis fan here too. still got my alibi

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    i really like that light blue.

danK. what color did you get? raw carbon? i've seen the orange paint - sweet! i want to see this bike in person.

long time ibis fan here too. still got my alibi
    Carbon is the only "color" available until spring 2007. The colors are an additional $100. I plan to get the light blue frame.

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Carbon is the only "color" available until spring 2007. The colors are an additional $100. I plan to get the light blue frame.
    That bike is too pretty to ride.

roar
    Dang that is a sexy bike. Im jealous. Congrats for getting your hands on one... G pointed the Ibis Mojo out to me when I was bike shopping back in April, but they didn't hit bike shops in June, and even then they were sold before they saw the sales floor.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbarbie
    Dang that is a sexy bike. Im jealous. Congrats for getting your hands on one... G pointed the Ibis Mojo out to me when I was bike shopping back in April, but they didn't hit bike shops in June, and even then they were sold before they saw the sales floor.
    One call, that's all. Truth be known, I did try to get one a month or so ago, and was playing phone/email tag with the owner of Over The Edge in Fruita. Troy was going to give me his personal allocation frame, but it fell through. So I gave up. Then I picked up the phone after scouring the Ibis dealer list, and it was mine.

My friend Steve wants one soooooo bad but he has a deadly combo: impatience and a lot of money burning a hole in his wallet. He sprung for a new Ellsworth Truth the day before I found mine, hahahahaha.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    One Sweet bike and you know it's gonna ride great. If I didn't have my 5 Spot, I'd like to have the new either Iron Horse 6.6 or MKIIII, both DW link bikes

Edit:

that is one hail of a beautiful bike.
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 10-28-2006 at 03:27 PM.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Hey, I am coming from Jackson to Boise next thursday...do want me to bring it?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    One word
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Hey, I am coming from Jackson to Boise next thursday...do want me to bring it?
    Thank you for offering, but it's arriving tomorrow FedEx.
    Last edited by danK; 10-18-2006 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    One word
    Or the word I keep thinking of: Ramen. As in Top Ramen.

mtbr member
    Or the word I keep thinking of: Ramen. As in Top Ramen.
    maybe it's more like... "you'll be eating Ramen Instant Soup for the next few months while the wallet recovers"...
    have fun building it up and let us know how it rides... For a 5", fully carbon, DW Link bike, it sure is relatively affordable...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    maybe it's more like... "you'll be eating Ramen Instant Soup for the next few months while the wallet recovers"...
    have fun building it up and let us know how it rides... For a 5", fully carbon, DW Link bike, it sure is relatively affordable...
    I may not get the chance. My friend, Steve, who buys all my stuff whether yet-to-be-ridden or thoroughly used, wants it bad!

It is relatively affordable, indeed. My other DW bike has 5" and it's about 1.5 pounds heavier, and that frame retails for around $1400. The Ibis is the magically marketed/hyped carbon, accepts wider tires and has 5.5" of travel, plus it's an Ibis. Not bad for "only" $500 more.

I'll decide whether to sell to Steve by end of day for a nice profit, and get the blue frame in spring. It's not like I need it now for muddy riding up 8th Street or RC.... or spending warm(er) weekends in the desert out of the inversion bouncing through the rocks outside Grandview and Oreana.

mtbr member

I'll decide whether to sell to Steve by end of day for a nice profit, and get the blue frame in spring. It's not like I need it now for muddy riding up 8th Street or RC.... or spending warm(er) weekends in the desert out of the inversion bouncing through the rocks outside Grandview and Oreana.
    You can probably get a bidding war going between Steve and Westin...

mtbr member
    dank..no debate. sell that puppy and wait for the blue one.

if it was spring time, maybe i'd say keep it.

on another note..to compare bikes a little:

my yeti 575 with carbon rear weighs..well, 5.75 lbs...the build on it is heavy as ****, but, the frame is light..

from the ibis site, the mojo is a:

Lightweight (sub 6 lb) frame, swingarm, rear shock; 25 lb complete bike weight

Ibis price tag: $1899...Yeti 575 with carbon rear MSRP $1629..but, you can get it from probably $1400 or less (custom cycles or other web retailer).

just seems like they could get this frame to be lighter...what do you think?

the ibis does look awesome though. and the DW-link is the bomb, right?

here are all the colors available (so they say March 2007; probably won't meet that date, knowing ibis).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=garnetspur]dank..no debate. sell that puppy and wait for the blue one.

if it was spring time, maybe i'd say keep it.

on another note..to compare bikes a little:

my yeti 575 with carbon rear weighs..well, 5.75 lbs...the build on it is heavy as ****, but, the frame is light..

from the ibis site, the mojo is a:

Lightweight (sub 6 lb) frame, swingarm, rear shock; 25 lb complete bike weight

Ibis price tag: $1899...Yeti 575 with carbon rear MSRP $1629..but, you can get it from probably $1400 or less (custom cycles or other web retailer).

just seems like they could get this frame to be lighter...what do you think?

the ibis does look awesome though. and the DW-link is the bomb, right?

here are all the colors available (so they say March 2007; probably won't meet that date, knowing ibis).

QUOTE]

I don't think Ibis ever marketed/intended the 5.5" Mojo to be the lightest or whatnot so I never looked at weight. There's a 22.8 pound carbon Mojo floating around, and someone claims their medium mojo is 5.35 pounds (probably weighed on a bathroom scale, ha).

Get the Yeti? No offense to the riders, the company, the retailers, etc., but the bike is a bit too common for my tastes. *Ducking for cover. I've only spent an hour on the 575 and it didn't ride much different than my other chainstay mounted Horst link bikes. It is indeed a fantastic bike with great service. Beside, if I was to get a similar bike it'd probably be a Turner *ducking again.

As for price....I think it's nitpicky by then. I think if someone can afford a $1500 frame then why not afford a $1900 frame? My Spyder VPP frame only cost me $1200 new, but that doesn't make it better in any regard than my more spendier frames.

Personally, I think any bike over $500 is crazy especially after seeing how much fun my girlfriend has on her $289 Specialized forgot-the-name Greenbelt cruiser. As for DW being the bomb, yes, it is. I won't go into a DW vs everything = dw rules...because we all know it's the rider. I've had kids on hardtails blow by me through the rocks. But for my needs, DW link makes me happier than any other design I've owned. I base the cost of cycling on "smiles per miles".

Having lauded the kudos toward the $289 cruiser, I have told Teton Cycle Works I'd like the light blue....but you're probably right: spring = late summer. I'd rather ride the carbon color. FYI, my GF and other friends think the carbon colored one is the one to keep.
    Last edited by danK; 10-18-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Dan - Nice bike! I was the slowpoke on the Ventana you passed at the bottom of Red Sands last night. I saw the Ibis, thought it was you, but honestly couldn't keep up with you! We passed each other again on Mountain Cove a couple of hours later and that's when I recognized you from your byline photos from the Statesman. That Ibis is certainly one gorgeous bike!! How's the ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Dan - Nice bike! I was the slowpoke on the Ventana you passed at the bottom of Red Sands last night. I saw the Ibis, thought it was you, but honestly couldn't keep up with you! We passed each other again on Mountain Cove a couple of hours later and that's when I recognized you from your byline photos from the Statesman. That Ibis is certainly one gorgeous bike!! How's the ride?
    Hey! I recognized you the second time around as "that's the guy I saw earlier." The second time you saw me I was about 20 minutes into a good bonk from staying out too long and not bringing enough food and water. Delirious was the word of the moment.

The ride is nice, thank you for asking. Still sorting out the new bike quirks: cable housing too long there, add one more spacer under stem here, adjust seat back a touch.... You know how it is. And I had the most ungodly loud howl from my rear brake which I finally traced to a rear skewer not being tight enough; so bad was the noise that I didn't bother touching the brake around others cuz it was embarrassing. But I'm about 95% dialed in.

And you were not slowpoke by any means.

Jul 2006
    Really small world. I was the head wrench at that shop for 4 years.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyGonzalas
    Really small world. I was the head wench at that shop for 4 years.
    Heh...you were the 'head- wench', allright. bob!!!

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Jul 2006
    Identify yourself, citizen! And be aware that calling me "Bob" will get you smacked down so fast...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I'll give you a clue. I called you 'Bob' once by accident, and it bothered you so much, Travis kicked your skinny ass all up and down the course....I learned my lesson!

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Jul 2006
    Ha HA! I thought you sold your shop, so I wasn't sure it was you. And Travis could kick my skinny ass anytime or anywhere, for no reason. Can I call you Bill?... oh, that's not your name, is it? LIKE MY NAME AIN"T BOB! Good to hear from you Wendy.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Sorry I missed you in Boise last week, next time I'll get in touch, maybe we could ride in the desert when it is froze-up sumpin' fierce up in here.

Hey, do you have Benson's contact info, by any chance?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Jul 2006
    The best I can tell you is to check at Harrison Hollow. I assume he still works there.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I don't think he works there anymore. I talked to him a couple weeks ago. I think I have his info, or can get, if you need it.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Definitely, Visi, PM me.

Gracias!

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Members who have read this thread: 0