Curly's Loop- Mtbr.com

Thread: Curly's Loop

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Curly's Loop

Need some intel on Curly's Loop, north of Ketchum, by Easley Hot Springs. I think CBro and Formica have ridden it. I'm going to be staying at a buddy's cabin at Easley this weekend and would like to ride it, but the last time I rode up East Baker Creek Road (on my way to upper Oregon Gulch), I never saw the turn off for Curly's.

Is there signage? An obvious trail heading (left) downhill? I don't do bike computers or GPS, so visual clues as to where to head to the left would be the best.

mtbr member
    Yes, the signage is small... From what I remember, you climb up E. Baker Creek, past some tight switchbacks. Once you get to the amazing view of the Smokies, the road will bear slightly right. Begin looking for Curly's on the left. There was a sign but I'm not sure if it's been burned down. You'll know you're on the right trail by the cow troughs halfway down. It's a fun and easy trail. You end up behind some cabins on Easley.

Once you get to this point, go about another mile and begin looking over the edge of the left side of the road for the sign (or the trail)...

mtbr member
    that trail is probably dusty. it'll suck.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    that trail is probably dusty. it'll suck.
    No doubt. I'm always SO disappointed when I ride in the WRV. (Well, there was this one time, but it had nothing to do with the trail conditions....)

Looks like I'll stay home and ride Sidewinder for the 40th time this year. Gives me more time to polish my guns.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't worry, be happy!
    When we did it, we rode about 9 miles up various forest roads to the top, then the trail down. It's definately STEEP for some folks. We put our saddles down. But lots of fun. As for how exactly we got there... dunno... I was following people.

mtbr member
    Actually, the big views are of the Boulder Mtns to the east. If you park at the bottom of Baker Creek Rd. the turnoff for the singletrack (which you'll probably see anyway) is a little more than 7 miles after 2000' of climbing or so. Then it's only 3 miles of descent and the first 1/3 is the best. The rest is steep, loose, and steep. It's fun but to be honest for the effort I would go down Oregon Gulch and shuttle or ride back up the Harriman trail. The Curly loop is pretty short at 1.5 to 2 hrs max. 12.3 miles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    No doubt. I'm always SO disappointed when I ride in the WRV. (Well, there was this one time, but it had nothing to do with the trail conditions....)

Looks like I'll stay home and ride Sidewinder for the 40th time this year. Gives me more time to polish my guns.

Better stick to Sidewinder. If you polish that gun too much, you will end up wearing glasses.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Actually, the big views are of the Boulder Mtns to the east. If you park at the bottom of Baker Creek Rd. the turnoff for the singletrack (which you'll probably see anyway) is a little more than 7 miles after 2000' of climbing or so. Then it's only 3 miles of descent and the first 1/3 is the best. The rest is steep, loose, and steep. It's fun but to be honest for the effort I would go down Oregon Gulch and shuttle or ride back up the Harriman trail. The Curly loop is pretty short at 1.5 to 2 hrs max. 12.3 miles.
    Thanks for the intel. I did the shuttle ride from Easley to Baker Creek to Oregon to Fox to Adams to the SV Lodge in '05. I'm staying at one of the cabins at Easley and have never ridden Curly's, so I thought this would be a prime opportunity to at least try it.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    Better stick to Sidewinder. If you polish that gun too much, you will end up wearing glasses.
    I thought it was hairy palms. The bonus? Hairy palms would give me more "cleaning" friction.

mtbr member
    Earthpig, are you still riding an X5? I broke my El Ciclon in Oregon Gulch and shipped my frame back to Ventana from SV Finished my trip on a rental Santa Cruz from Sturdos.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Earthpig, are you still riding an X5? I broke my El Ciclon in Oregon Gulch and shipped my frame back to Ventana from SV Finished my trip on a rental Santa Cruz from Sturdos.
    Bummer. Where on the frame did it break? How? I have heard that the El Ciclons are built a little lighter than the X-5, (butted tubing rather than straight gauge), but I have to admit I've never heard of anyone busting a Ventana. However, Ventana does have great customer service.

As for my X-5, I still have it, but I have to admit that it doesn't get much use these days. I took it up to SV and rode it a couple of days in mid-June, but I think it's only seen dirt once since then. When I bought it in late '04, I really thought I'd be transitioning my riding style to more technical trails, but I've decided that I'm just an XC guy at heart. To that end, I just picked up a Racer X frame off the classifieds and am finding it's much more suitable for my style of riding and the terrain I spend 95% of my time on. In fact, with all due respect to the X-5, the Racer X is the best all-around frame I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    It broke at the top tube/seatpost gusset. Apparently, Ventana has gone back to straight gage tubing. I also broke my 04 Salty in the same spot (pre-gusset) and went with the Ciclon on the trade-in deal. This one is under warranty and I should have a new frame by the end of the week. They do indeed, have great customer service.

My wife has a custom Ti Racer-X and really likes it.

I was not that impressed with the SC Blur that I rented in SV but I did drag it over to Born Lakes from 4th of July which is where I remember seeing a pic of your X5 from an old thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Curly's loop was great fun. Typical WRV ride - trees, trees, some open sagebrushy sections, more trees, fast and smooth, small amount of rocks, and fast. There is no sign at the top, but there is a new-ish looking wood post. I overshot the TH, but was able to backtrack and figure it out. Once you first see the Boulders, the road starts to go downhill. When the trees come in from the left again, around a wide radius right curve in the road, there is a narrow "doubletrack" that cuts off to the left and the singletrack starts about 20 yards later. Rolly up top, with one relatively steep-ish section towards the bottom. Even with some dead, overtrained legs, it took about 1:40 round trip (followed by some great breakfast at the cabin!)

Now, I wouldn't make a special trip to go ride it and the slog up E. Fork of Baker Creek Rd. is, well, a 5 mile slog, but if you're on the way between Stanley and Ketchum, it would be a good choice to park at the hot springs, ride Curly's, and then take a dip at the end.

King of the Barneys
    I loved that trail. When a group of us camped at Easley, it made a fun, Sunday morning before packing up ride. The downhill was a kick.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    I loved that trail. When a group of us camped at Easley, it made a fun, Sunday morning before packing up ride. The downhill was a kick.
    CBro - Many thanks for the pages from the trail guide. You're such a sweet little kitten! I could just smother you will kitty love. I'll be at Easley again this upcoming weekend and hope to hit the trail again.

Members who have read this thread: 0