Curly Lake/Tobacco Roots conditions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Curly Lake/Tobacco Roots conditions?

Looking to ride up there this weekend. I know it's just opening this week for bikes etc. Anyone have an idea if much snow is left up there? Typically it's good to go this time of year, but it's been an odd spring/summer. Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    I haven't been in the T. Roots yet this year but I know the Crazies have 3+ feet of snow in many places above 9k feet (at least around Cottonwood Lk) and a friend of mine lost the trail pretty quick during a backpacking trip in the Pioneers last weekend.

My guess is that it's early for Curly Lake. When does the trail open after goat breeding?
    ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Only the top section of the loop is closed (until July 16 every year) so if you don't mind riding it as an out-and-back you can do it anytime! The bottommost section of singletrack, Rock Creek, is usually dry in early June, then the snowline just gets higher and higher! It's actually a pretty easy climb most of the way to the goat closure due to amazing trail grading.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well, rode it today, it's good to go. Just don't forget your bug spray! Trails in great shape, just had to walk through a few small patches of snow, none on the DH.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ditto (on Friday)

beater
    Loads of people there on Saturday. Montana Rider did a good job photodocumenting the snowfields. Pretty small, and they provided welcome excuses to dismount on the way up.

Bring bug spray. Lots of bug spray.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Rode it Sunday. Some trail damage already from motos. Saw 5 motos and no mountain bikers at all. Very quiet.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    I'm planning to ride the Curly Lake Highline tomorrow, I'm now just outside Cardwell and the bugs are driving me absolutely crazy!!.. I was hoping to get away from them on the trail, but it sounds like they are there as well.. I was also hoping to do Lost Cabin on Monday, but I don't think I will survive that long here.

mtbr member
    Did the trail yesterday, and the trail is in good shape, even the bugs weren't too bad, although I was covered in deet.
    I managed to do it in 5h.50m the first 4 hours non stop climb was brutal, and I crashed twice on the downhill mental switchbacks just over the top.
    http://tinyurl.com/353vubv

Members who have read this thread: 0