Cruel and Unusual Punishment- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cruel and Unusual Punishment

After taking care of everybody elses injuries and training cylcists, now it is my turn.
    Popped my ACL Tuesday night playing softball. Softball, take my advice and stick only to mountain biking!

Long story short, surgery likely next week.
    I may get to do some easy riding in about 3-4 months if all is well. No trail riding likely until this coming winter or next spring.
    Now the new Epic is just an expensive wall decoration!

Ugggghhhhh!!
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Oh dude, sooo sorry to hear that. Maybe your recuperation will go faster and you'll do some rides in this summer.

what the heck were you doing exactly when that happened?

Speediest of recoveries!
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 04-28-2007 at 10:42 AM.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

Hi!!!
    Sorry to hear that man. I wish a quick and healthy recovery for you. On the upside....you definately know what's going on with your knee and will do your best to rehab it.

If you want....I can take care of that Epic for you.

King of the Barneys
    Youch. I swear, by the number of reported injuries, softball is a very dangerous sport. Hope you heal fast.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    After our talk about ACL's a couple of weeks ago this had to happen. Sorry to hear about the injury K! Godspeed on the recovery!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What a bummer! Hope it heals quickly. I missed a season a few years back. The REAL punishment was having to shuttle my wife and friends to Eastside/Connie's all summer! When can you start driving? Just kidding.

I hate to hear about season-ending injuries.

Take care, heal well, enjoy the pharmaceuticals...

mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Sorry to hear that man. I wish a quick and healthy recovery for you. On the upside....you definately know what's going on with your knee and will do your best to rehab it.

If you want....I can take care of that Epic for you.
    Thanks for the heartfelt offer Nick, but it is an XL frame and may be a bit big for you. I wouldn't want you getting hurt on a poorly fit bike!!
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy
    I may get to do some easy riding in about 3-4 months if all is well.
    That sucks! That's why I am such a wimpy little person on big stuff. I don't want to get hurt and lose a season of riding. (my lack of courage is unrelated, ;-)

A friend at work just had ACL surgery. He was back at work, limping around, a week after surgery. Off-road stuff may be off limits, but the HillRoad-GreenBeltLoop might be a good place to ride for recovery.

mtbr member
    I tore mine a few years ago. It's a bad injury, but they have made incredible advances on the repair. Do you know who is doing the surgery? The guys at Idaho Sports Medicine are top quality. I had Lewis, but also have seen Wade (the blade). Anyway, work real hard on your rehab and it will turn out great. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Man-Do
    I tore mine a few years ago. It's a bad injury, but they have made incredible advances on the repair. Do you know who is doing the surgery? The guys at Idaho Sports Medicine are top quality. I had Lewis, but also have seen Wade (the blade). Anyway, work real hard on your rehab and it will turn out great. Good luck!
    ISMI is great, but they refer for profit. Lewis, at least last I heard, had moved to Cali.
    I will likely have Dr. Kevin Shea do the surgery at IO. I have seen many of his pt's and they all seem to have great outcomes. It also helps that he is a great guy and very strong cyclist.
    BoiseBoy

Hi!!!
    If your rehab involves easy spins on the road bike....I've got a CycleOps Fluid2 collecting dust in my equipment room that you are more than welcome to borrow.

mtbr member

Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    If your rehab involves easy spins on the road bike....I've got a CycleOps Fluid2 collecting dust in my equipment room that you are more than welcome to borrow.
    Wow, it is funny that you mention this, I am off this afternoon to REI to check out trainers. I may have to pick your brain or take you up on that offer.

K
    BoiseBoy

Hi!!!
    Wow, it is funny that you mention this, I am off this afternoon to REI to check out trainers. I may have to pick your brain or take you up on that offer.

K
    Our Anniversary Sale starts next Friday FYI....

Seriously....before you plunk down the $ for one, you are more than welcome to borrow mine to see if it's your cup o' tea. I have two riser blocks too. They are practically brand new.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    When will you have the surgery, and how soon after will you be able to get on a trainer or on the bike for light rides to rehab?
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    When will you have the surgery, and how soon after will you be able to get on a trainer or on the bike for light rides to rehab?
    Daryl, thanks for the concern.
    It looks like surgery is for next Wednesday.
    As far as rehab, we opted out of an MRI, so the rehab completely hinges on my meniscus.
    I don't think think that there is a tear, but if there is and it is repaired, I would be non weight bearing for 4-6 weeks.
    If it is just the ACL (fingers crossed) then, I could be riding a stationary bike within days.
    Easy flat pedal road rides maybe in a couple to few weeks.. Probably no mountain biking for 4-6 months.

Later,
    K
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    May 2004

Let us know

Daryl, thanks for the concern.
    It looks like surgery is for next Wednesday.
    As far as rehab, we opted out of an MRI, so the rehab completely hinges on my meniscus.
    I don't think think that there is a tear, but if there is and it is repaired, I would be non weight bearing for 4-6 weeks.
    If it is just the ACL (fingers crossed) then, I could be riding a stationary bike within days.
    Easy flat pedal road rides maybe in a couple to few weeks.. Probably no mountain biking for 4-6 months.

Later,
    K
    what the outcome is tomorrow. hope you can get on the stationary bike in a few days after wed or by the weekend!

mtbr member

Thank you for your support!

Sounds like a Bartyls and James commercial!

Thanks all, I will keep you in the loop.
    I should have a little extra time on my hands over the next couple of weeks to play on the board here.

Kelly
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member

ACLitis

Wow, it must be something in the water. My good friend Ross tears his ACL nearly the same time I tore mine, and now another on this board has an ACL tear, wow!

Well, hope for the best and expect the worst came calling very clearly. Unfortunately, it came down to the worst.
    I ended up tearing not only my ACL, but both my Mediall and Lateral Menisci as well. These were both repaired and look promissing for a complete heal.

Rehab will be much slower now, 4 weeks on crutches!
    Unfortunately, I have not been able to stay away from the pain killers very long. Every time that I think that I am feeling a bit better it turns around to kick my butt again.

Happy trails ladies and gents, keep the rubber side down and stay away from dead people on the trails.
    BoiseBoy

Hi!!!
    You wanna borrow my trainer for your rehab? I sure as hell ain't using it.

Nick

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm sorry man. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.
    Also, maybe stop playing softball! (jus kiddin)

mtbr member

One week post op

Well, tomorrow will be one week post-op ACL reconstruction and both medial & lateral meniscal repairs.
    I got my range up to 5-108 and the big thing;
    I was able to spin on the stationary bike for 10 minutes until it got too sore!

Baby steppin
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member

Life is good again!

Well, I am 8 weeks post op and doing great.
    I began doing short rides to the gym and now I will be commuting each day to work on the bike (10 miles each way)!
    The knee feel great, the muscle is coming back, and the swelling is minimal.
    You should be seeing me in a few weeks back on the trails! It's about time. I haven't ridden in a couple of months, but it seems like it has been two years since I touched dirt!

On a side note, it was a bit wierd to rehash this thread seeing Nick's posts on here, but I think that they are typical great Nick posts so I kept the thread.
    Ride on Nick!
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Kelly,

glad the rehab is going well. I hope this never happens to you again!

Members who have read this thread: 0